Three graduates from National Institute of Technology (NIT), Warangal built a website named “PICKMYCLOTH” for weavers to sell their product directly to the customers. Thus, eliminating the middlemen in between.
Weavers in India do not have a platform to sell their product, so they depend on the middlemen to sell their product.
Also, they have to pay commission to the middlemen and as a result it minimizes the profit of the weaver on every product.
Weavers can sell their cloth directly to the customers using the “Pickmycloth” platform.
They will no longer require middlemen to sell their products and pay commissions to them.
Reason Behind Starting “Pickmycloth”
Ram Kalyan, co-founder of “Pickmycloth” said that while he was studying at NIT Warangal, he made a few friends coming from weaving backgrounds in India.
He came to know the problems faced by the weavers and wanted to help them.
Ram Kalyan along with Dinesh and Abhishek decided to build an e-commerce platform for the betterment of the condition of weavers in India.
How did it Start?
Ram kalyan along with his friend decided to meet the weavers from various clusters and asked them the problems faced and discussed the solutions.
, they decided to provide a platform for weavers where they do not have to pay the commission fee and will be provided with complete freedom to sell their products.
They have designated a team for every handloom cluster to explain about the platform and teach them how to use it.
They keep updating the app so that it will provide a good service to the weavers and customers as well.
Benefit of this Platform
- Weavers can enjoy the maximum profit as they no longer require middlemen to sell their products.
- Since weavers do not have to pay the commission to the middlemen, they keep the price low and as a result customers get the product at less price.
- Customers will have the benefit to get the product delivered at the given address.
- Ram Kalyan and his co-founders have made a team to solve any queries that the weavers are having regarding understanding the app interface or how to list the product online.
- This will give a boost to the Prime Minister’s new initiative which is “Atma Nirbhar Bharat”.
Ram Kalyan has said, “700 weavers from across the country have been listed at the platform and out of which 400 weavers are active”.
The CEO of the company said that he would like to expand this business to all handloom clusters across India and is willing to bring together all the clusters with the help of this platform.