Stockholm University: Ranking, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fees, Scholarships & Placements
Stockholm University was established in 1878 as a radical alternative to the traditional educational institutions in Sweden. Over the years, with a combination of independent higher education and strong applied research, Stockholm University has made its mark as one of the leading universities in Sweden, in Europe, and in the world. Presently, the university campus is home to more than 33000 students, 1400 doctoral students, and 5600 staff members.
Education and research at the university are unique, Stockholm University offers around 190 programs in academic areas like social sciences, mathematics, humanities, law, and science. However, what sets it apart from other universities is it's 1700 independent courses at basic and advanced levels.
Of all the degree programs 75 masters degree programs are taught in English, attracting more than 5,000 international students annually. A little credit for an impressive international student presence from more than 50 countries can be given the university’s location- middle of the world’s first national city park and access to the dynamism of capital.
|Percentage of International Students||14%|
|Number of Departments||53|
|Number of Degree Programs (for international students)||Bachelor’s: 1; Master’s: 75|
|Type of Programs||Full-time|
|Student: Faculty Ratio||20:1|
|Number of Full-time Faculties||2,325|
|Residence Permit Required||Yes|
|Admission Helpdeskemail@example.com | 468 – 16 2000|
Stockholm University Rankings
The university ranks amongst the top 200 universities in the world. Let’s look at its recent rankings as per different ranking agencies:
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University Rankings 2019 ranked it at #73.
- According to US News & World Report 2020, the university stands #114.
- THE Rankings 2020 placed the university at #175.
- As per QS Rankings 2020, the university ranks at # 191 in the world.
According to all ranking agencies, Stockholm University ranks in the top 5 universities to study in Sweden.
Stockholm University Programs
Research and education at the university are offered through its 53 departments, centers, and institutes. For academic session 2019/20, the university is offering 190 degree courses and 1700 independent non-degree courses. Currently, 1 bachelor and 75 masters degree programs are designed especially for international students and so their language of instruction is English.
Along with the degree programs, international students can opt to pursue one or more free-standing Stockholm University courses that each last between five weeks and one semester.
- 14 subjects of the university rank in the top 100 subjects in the world in the QS World University Rankings by subject 2019.
- Ph.D. programs are not available in English. Swedish knowledge is mandatory before applying.
Stockholm University Campus and Accommodation
Often referred to as “campus university in a park environment”, the university is located in the middle of the world’s first national park- Royal National City Park. With an urban campus in a rural setting, the students get to experience a unique combination.
- Stockholm University Library is one of the largest research libraries in Sweden and one of the most visited cultural institutions in Sweden, with over 1.5 million visitors daily.
- The university’s Student Union provides study-related support services and discounts on-campus and in city.
- An on-campus student accommodation facility is NOT available. It is advisable for international students to apply for student housing through SSSB website before the commencement of the program.
Stockholm University Admissions
Admission applications from international students are invited for both academic sessions- Autumn semester and Spring semester. The Stockholm University admissions follow a similar for both sessions.
|Deadline/Semester||Autumn First Round Admissions||Autumn Second Round Admissions||Spring First Round Admissions||Spring Second Round Admissions|
|Admission application||January 15||April 15||August 17||October 15|
|Application fee receipt||February 3||May 7||September 1||December 1|
|Supporting documentation||February 3||June 18*||September 1||November 2|
*due to COVID 19 outbreak, the deadline has been extended to July 5.
How to Apply?
International students, irrespective of their nationality and program, have to adhere to the step-by-step guide given below:
- Step I: Find a Stockholm University course/program you wish to apply for.
- Step II: Check the entry requirements set for international students.
- Step III: Complete the online application at Central Swedish Application system.
- Step IV: Arrange supporting documents to be sent to the university
- Common Requirements: Transcripts, Resume
- Tests – GMAT/GRE
- Language Proficiency Tests: Equivalent to English course 6
- Additional requirements: Relevant work/research experience, motivational letter, other relevant programs, Mathematical requirements (for bachelor’s) and required thesis (Ph.D.)
English Proficiency Test
To be considered for admission at Stockholm University, proficiency in the English language is a must for which students can take tests like IELTS, PTE, TOEFL. The minimum score requirement should be equivalent English course 6, taught at Swedish senior secondary level. Based on this, the acceptable scores for a few tests are tabulated below:
|Test Name||Minimum Score Required|
|IELTS||6.5 (no band less than 6.0)|
|TOEFL- iBT||90 (no section less than 20)|
|PTE||62 (Writing 61)|
International students are required to obtain the Swedish Residency Permit (student visa) to study any Swedish university. For this, students require the following documents:
- A valid passport with a minimum validity of 6 months, at the time of application
- Class X/XII or Bachelor’s mark sheet
- Enrollment letter for Stockholm University
- Certification of available finances such as
- Scholarship letter
- Bank loan receipt
- Bank statement
- Proof of health insurance
- An essay on “Why you want to study in Sweden?”
Students must note that the entire visa process will take up to 90 days and will cost around 1000 SEK (11 USD).
Stockholm University Cost of Attendance
International students will have to incur various expenses while studying at the university. These include tuition and fees, accommodation, transportation, and other miscellaneous expenses.
The annual tuition fees at Stockholm vary as per the field of study/school, meaning, programs at Stockolm School of Economics will have different fees than Stockholm Business School. The tuition fees to be paid by international students commencing studies at the university are given in the following table:
|Stream type||Cost (in SEK per year)||Cost (in USD per year)|
|Humanities/ Social Sciences/ Law||90,000||9,670|
|Stockholm Business School||90,000 – 1,25,000||9,670-13,430|
The cost of living in Sweden for an international student is estimated to be 8,514 SEK per month (914 USD). The bifurcation of the overall expenses are tabulated below:
|Expense Type||Cost(in SEK per month)||Cost(in USD per month)|
Stockholm University Scholarships
The university offers a Stockholm University Scholarship Scheme to international students who are required to pay tuition fees for their education. Presently, the scholarship program is restricted to master’s courses. It covers tuition fees, all other expenses are to be incurred by the students only.
- Only students who apply for First-round Admission are considered for scholarships
- Application Timeline: The university follows a specific scholarship application timeline:
- April 3: Eligible students will be sent an electronic application form via email.
- April 6: Scholarship application deadline
- April 24: Notification of scholarship decisions are released.
- Selections are based on academic merit; priority will be given to students whose first preference was Stockholm University.
All students must note that they have to pay the tuition fees even when they have applied for the university’s scholarship scheme. If they are awarded the scholarship, there deposited amount will be reimbursed.
Stockholm University Placements
A student who graduates from a study in Sweden gets an average salary of 57,860 USD per year. However, the average salaries of Stockholm University graduates are comparatively higher. The average salary of a few top courses are given depicted in the graph below:
As one of the largest and top-ranking universities in Sweden, Stockholm University offers course-based and research-based education to more than 65,000 domestic and international students. Mesmerizing natural and historical environs, access to the dynamism of Swedish capital, and its largest job market make the overall educational experience all the more attractive.
FIND A PROGRAM
STOCKHOLM UNIVERSITY RANKINGS
Stockholm University has undoubtedly made a name for itself as a reputed educational and research institution for students from across the world. With more than 50,000 students and academic staff, the university is in itself a big community helping each other grow and learn. All this very well reflected in its overall institutional rankings and employability rankings.
Stockholm University Global Rankings
As one of the leading universities in Sweden, Stockholm University ranks at #181 as per QS World Rankings 2021 and at #189 as per THE World Rankings 2021. Over the years, while the university’s rankings as per QS have improved, that for THE have deteriorated. The graph below depicts the Stockholm University rankings from 2015 to 2021:
Both QS and THE have given Stockholm University a similar overall score of 45.5 and 55.3, respectively. Of all the ranking criteria’s the university has scored the best for its international outlook, as per both ranking agencies. For THE, the university scored 71.4 for international outlook, and for QS, it scored 87.5 for international faculty and 41.5 for international students.
Stockholm University Subject-wise Rankings
Every year, a huge number of domestic and international students enroll in various Stockholm University UG and PG programs, allowing them to specialize in different subject areas. As per the student reviews and research statistics, the majority of students who enroll here opt for courses in humanities and Social Sciences. This is the reason why most of the top-ranking subjects at SU belong to these streams.
The top 10 subjects at Stockholm University as per QS rankings are mentioned below:
- Environmental Studies: #31
- Social Policy & Administration: #38
- Linguistics: #41
- Sociology: #41
- Geography: #48
- Archeology: #51-100
- Biological Sciences: #51-100
- Earth and Marine Sciences: 51-100
- Geology: #51-100
- Anthropology: #51-100
The subject-wise rankings of Stockholm University of other agencies like US News, CWUR, and THE are similar to that of QS. As per them, Life Sciences, Sociology, Biological Sciences, Linguistics, and Environmental Studies are one of the best courses to pursue at Stockholm University.
Times Higher Education
RANKED #251 - #300
RANKED #126 - #150
View More >>
QS World University
I get to know about Stockholm University from one of the faculty members of my university in my home country. My teacher had her master's and Ph.D. from Stockholm University and she motivated me a lot. I have graduated from Dhaka University and also completed an MBA in Management information systems. My GPA was 3.6 out of 4.
I have sat for IELTS. And got 7.5. The special requirements were mainly the academic results of previous studies.
- Bus Station
- Super Market
- Book Store
- Shopping Mall
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary