University Admission Sweden: Application, Requirements, Important Dates
For students who wish to study in Sweden, the university admission in Sweden is a pretty hassle-free process. To apply to Swedish universities, students can either go to Universityadmissions.se or Antagning.se. All applications are managed electronically thereby reducing the time and effort spent on individual applications.
Both the websites to apply to Swedish universities are managed by the Swedish Council for Higher Education (Universitets- och högskolerådet (UHR)). The universities in Sweden for international students coordinates between the UHR and Sweden’s colleges and universities.
Study in Sweden: Applying Through Antagning.se
There are certain factors that a student needs to keep in mind while applying through Antagning.se to study in Sweden. They are:
- The information available on the website is given to students in Swedish.
- With regards to all the courses that are taught in Swedish, entire catalogues can be found here.
- Even though the website caters to mainly Swedish courses, there is some amount of information available about the courses taught in English.
- If a student has studied at Swedish upper secondary school or university, his or her results will be showcased on the website automatically.
- The website caters to mainly students who wish to take admissions in Swedish courses to study in Sweden.
Apply Through Swedish Universities Through Universityadmissions.se
When it comes to university admission Sweden, students have the choice of applying through Universityadmissions.se. They need to keep in mind the following:
- The website gives away all the information to students in English.
- With regards to the courses taught in English, the entire catalogues can be found here.
- No course taught in Swedish is present on the website.
- If a student has qualifications from Sweden itself, they will not be shown on the website.
- The website mainly caters to students who wish to study courses taught in English in Sweden.
Requirements for University Admission Sweden
Language Requirements to Apply to Swedish Universities
To study at the universities in Sweden for international students, knowing English is a must. The top universities in Sweden, teaches courses in English. In most cases, the university may ask for an equivalent of an English B/English 6 course, though this information varies from course to course and university to university.
When it comes to university admission Sweden, it is not a mandate to undertake English tests. Students will be considered proficient enough in English if they:
- Were taught English in high school
- Were taught English in university studies
In some cases, universities do ask for globally recognized English tests like:
- TOEFL iBT
- Cambridge Michigan Language Assessments
- Cambridge English Language Assessment (C1 Advanced)
- Pearson PTE Academic
Documents Required to Apply to Swedish Universities
To apply to the top universities in Sweden, it is a mandate to have the following. If this is not the case, the student will be denied admission at the universities in Sweden for international students.
- All documents related to identification proof
- High school certificate (needs to be translated in English)
- Self-attested cover letter. *Only if student is sending application via regular post*
- Previous university records (needs to be translated in English)
- Letter of recommendation
- Proof in case of any name change
University Admission Sweden: Application Process
To apply to the top universities in Sweden, students need to make sure that they follow these steps:
- Step 1: Create an account on Antagning.se or Universityadmissions.se
- Step 2: Search for the courses/programs of your choice
- Step 3: Rank your top course/university choice
- Step 4: Complete application by submitting required documents
- Step 5: Get notified when the results are out
University Admission Sweden: When to Apply?
When it comes to applying at the universities in Sweden for international students, it is highly likely that students may get confused as there are multiple rounds for university admission in Sweden. Below is the summary of when a student needs to apply to study in Sweden.
University Admission Sweden Rounds: First and Second
To study in the autumn and spring semesters in Sweden, there are two different rounds: first and second. Usually the first rounds are for students from other countries who need time to arrange for their residence permit. Though students who do not need residence permits can apply too. Dates for the application are mentioned below.
Round I Autumn Semester: Courses taught in English
|Beginning of February||Last date to submit application fee|
|March-April||Notification of results|
Round II Autumn Semester: Courses taught in Swedish, limited taught in English
|June||Last date to submit application fee|
|July||Notification of results|
Round I Spring Semester: Courses taught in English
|Beginning of September||Last date to submit application fee|
|October/November||Notification of results|
Round II Spring Semester: Courses taught in Swedish, limited taught in English
|Late October / Early December||Last date to submit application fee|
|December||Notification of results|
Even though the university admission Sweden is a pretty much uncomplicated process, it is always advisable to students to read up about the university of their choice on their official website before applying as in some cases, it differs a little.