Updated On - January 18th 2018
Maharaja Krishnakumar Sinhji Bhavnagar University is the new name of Bhavnagar University. It is located in Bhavnagar city in the western province of Gujarat, India. It was established in 1978.
- The university provides teaching and research programs in Arts, Science, Commerce, Engineering, Medicine, Management, Rural Studies and Law Faculties. It has 22 departments, 18 postgraduate centers and four recognized institutes and research centers respectively.
- 83 colleges affiliated to the university. Twenty-two postgraduate courses are run by some of the colleges which are affiliated with Bhavnagar University.
- The University is a member of The Association of Indian Universities (AIU) and recognized by UGC and also accredited by NAAC.
- The University is an institute of international recognition, has been offering educational and developmental, training, faculty enrichment, and social awareness programmes. Its land-estate area is 198 acres.
- Bhavnagar district is known for its cultural heritage and the then His Highness of Bhavnagar Shri Krishnakumarsinhji was first to donate princely state to the Nation. Mahatma Gandhi, the father of our nation studied at Shamaldas Arts College during 1888, which is now run by Maharaja Krishnakumarsinhji Bhavnagar University.
- The University has three constituent Colleges since its inception. The Samaldas Arts College in more than 120 years old, Sir P.P. Institute of Science and the M. J. College of Commerce is offering graduation in Commerce and Business Administration.
- Center of Excellence in Nano-technology
- State Level Nano-technology Research Center
- Ocean Science and Technology Cell for Western Coast
- Entrepreneurship Development Cell
- University-Industry Linkage Cell
- Corporate Services and
- Gandhian Study Center
Research works are done in the areas such as:
- Marine Ecology
- Intellectual Property Rights
- Management & Entrepreneurship
Extra Curricular Activities:-
- Blood donation
- Leadership camps
- Save the Girl child campaign
- Watershed programs
- AIDS Awareness programs
- Literacy Mission
- Social Awareness Programs & Plays
- Industrial tours
- Republic Day camps
- Vaccination campaigns and
- Environmental Awareness Camps.
Many awards have also been won by the university students at the national and international level for various extracurricular activities like:
- Folk Dance
- Youth Exchange Program
- Drama and so on.
Collection of Books:
Books: 1,26,500 Above
Periodicals: Indian :205, Foreign: 32, Total :237
Bound Volumes: 14,000
Computer Center: The presence of a computer center gives the students ample facilities to avail modern techniques to make them fully prepared for everything.
- It was established in the year 1990 and it has since been serving the university
- The computer center lends services to the administration for their accounting, salary, cash counter, results in processing, and application downloads etc. works.
- A total of 25 computers, 2 line printers, 2 laser printers and1 scanner are there in the computer center.
- Desert Safari is an exciting sporting event being held at the university every year
- Inter-University Yoga Competition
- Men and Women specific events
- Many students have even won awards in sports like table tennis, basketball etc. at national and international platforms.
- Hostel for both girls and boys
- Laboratories for various practical oriented courses
- Hi-tech classrooms
- Activities of various kinds
- Internet Access
- Facilities for doctoral programs and other research works
Faculty Recognition – Academic Awards:
- Commonwealth Fellowship
- STINT Visiting Fellowship from Sweden
- Canadian Fellowship
- Netherlands Fellowship
- Hungarian Fellowship
- Ford Foundation’s Asia Fellows Award
- CSIR Emeritus Scientist
- Ramanna Fellowship
- UGC Career Awards for Young Scientists
- INSA Visiting Fellow and
- Vikram Sarabhai Award
Student’s Recognition – Academic Awards:
- Vikram Sarabhai Award
- Best Research Paper Awards
- UGC-JRF and CSIR-JRF
- Students Recognition at National and International Level