Mangalore University is a premier university in Karnataka. It is a public university located in Mangalore. It aims to provide the higher educational needs of Dakshina Kannada, Udupi and Kodagu Districts. It imparts higher education in a field of arts, commerce, science, law, and management. The University has grown impressively since its inception with 190 Affiliated Colleges including two constituent colleges. It has collaborated with several premier national and international institutions.
Read more: Mangalore University Admissions
Mangalore University Highlights
|Established | Type||1980 | State University|
|Accreditation||NAAC – ‘A’ grade|
|Campus area||350 acres|
|Courses offered||Postgraduate, Certificate and Diploma|
|Total Students||3218 (Male: 962 | Female: 2256)|
|Total Faculty||397 (incl. 108 Ph.D. holders)|
|Application mode||Online and Offline|
Mangalore University Courses
The university offers various courses in multiple specializations. The list of PG courses comprises MBA, M.Sc., MA, M.Com, MCA, MSW, M.Ed., M.P.Ed., Ph.D. and diploma courses.
|M.A||English||Graduate in relevant discipline with 45% marks|
|Journalism & Mass Communication|
|M.Sc||Computer Science||Graduation in relevant discipline with 45% marks (40% marks for reserved categories)|
|M.Com||General||Graduate in B.Com/ BBM/ BBA with 45% marks (40% marks for reserved categories)|
|Human Resource Management|
|Insurance & Bank Management|
|MBA||General||Graduate with 50% marks (45% for reserved categories)|
|Tourism & Travel Management||Graduate with 45% marks (40% for reserved categories)|
|M.Ed||Education||Graduate in B.Ed/ B.A. B.Ed/ B.Sc B.Ed with 50% marks|
|B.P.Ed||Physical Education||Graduate in any discipline with 50% marks and having at least participation in Inter college/ zonal/ district competition in sports and game|
Apart from these courses, the university also offers PG Diploma and certificate programs in various disciplines. Some of them are as follows:
- Certificate program in Yogic Science
- PG Diploma in Cyber Security
- PG Diploma in Embedded System
- Diploma in French Language
Check: Mangalore University Fees
Mangalore University Admission
Candidates seeking admission in the university must fill an online application form by visiting the offical website. The registration is done online as well as offline mode. Candidates wishing to apply can download the application form from the official website of the university. The admission for some courses will be through an Entrance Test which will be held by the respective departments. Listed candidates on the basis of their marks in the exam are considered for admission.
Read more: Mangalore University PG Admission
Mangalore University also offers Ph.D. program in various specializations such as Kannada, English, History, Economics, Political Science, Sociology, Social Work, Mass Communication and Journalism, Physical Education, etc. The minimum eligibility to apply is a Master’s Degree in relevant discipline with minimum required marks.
The selection is done on the basis of entrance test namely- CET (Centralized Entrance Test) followed by a personal interview round. Shortlisted candidates on the basis of their performance in CET will be called for interview round. Those who will successfully qualify both rounds of selection will be considered for admission to the Ph.D. program.
Candidates qualified U.G.C/ CSIR (JRF) Exam/ NET/ SLET/ GATE/ Teacher Fellowship holder/ M.Phil. degree holder who has already appeared for Entrance Test or if Research candidates working under sponsored Major Research Projects are exempted from appearing CET.
Click here: Mangalore University Ph.D. Admission
Mangalore University Scholarship
The University and other Agencies/Trusts offer the following scholarships to the deserving and meritorious students
- Scholarships for Differently abled
- Post-Metric Scholarships
- Karnataka Minority Scholarship
- G.O.I. National Merit Scholarship including E.B.L. and Tour Grant to SC/ST
- Scholarships to the Children of Mica/Iron Ore/Manganese Ore/Chrome Ore/Lime Stone and Dolomite workers
- Scholarships to the Children of Beedi Workers
- Karnataka Labour Welfare Commission Scholarships
- S.J. Jindal Trust Scholarships for those who secure 55% of marks and above
Know more: Mangalore University Scholarship
Mangalore University Placement
The university has a dedicated placement cell that offers job opportunities to deserving students. It also organizes pre-placement activities like mock interviews, conferences, workshops, expert talks to boost the confidence among students. The cell also organizes a job fair to prepare the students for the job market. Tabulated below are some of the highlights from the recent placement drive:
|Total Students participated||750|
|% of students placed||90%|
|No. of companies visited||16|
|No. of students placed (On-campus)||289|
|No. of students placed (Off-campus)||61|
|Median Salary offered||INR 2.40 LPA|
Click here: Mangalore University Placement
Mangalore University Results
Mangalore University (MU) conducts the semester examination in two sessions, namely, in the months of May/June & November/December. Recently the University has released the result for May/June session for various UG & PG courses. Students can check their semester-wise results by following the official website of MU.
- Visit the official website of Mangalore University.
- In the Academic section, click on ‘Results’
- Enter your registration number & click on submit.
- Now click on Check Results.
- Save & download the scorecard for future reference
- In order to check the already published results, navigate to UG & PG published results section & click on the desired link.
Know more: Mangalore University Result
Mangalore University Distance Education
Centre for Distance Education, Mangalore University (MU) offers courses in various UG & PG programs in the field of Arts, Commerce & Management. These Open & Distance Learning Courses (ODL) are offered at three study centers located at different locations. To maintain the academic activities, the University follows the rules & regulations prescribed by UGC.
Check: Mangalore University Distance Education
Mangalore University Facilities
Following are some of the facilities offered by the students to cater to the needs of the students:
- Library: The University library has 1,92,598 books, 23,085 back volumes, 316 research and general interest journals on a wide range of subjects. It has access to over 4,500 Journals in the Full text in e-form from UGC-INFONET and Contents pages.
- Hostels: The University has three well-furnished hostels for male, female and working women. The hostels are equipped with, well-furnished guest rooms, Library, Indoor sports facilities, power generator backup.
- Computer Labs: All the departments are provided with separate computational facilities with access to internet round the clock. There are a total of 800 computers all over the campus and provides internet services upto 1 Gbps.
Mangalore University Faculty
Mentioned below is a brief about the faculty members at the university:
Dr. Krishnakumar G
- Qualifications: M.Sc, M.Phil, and Ph.D.
- Areas of Specializations: Angiosperm Taxonomy & Forest Ecology
Dr. Raju Krishna Chalannavar
- Qualifications: Ph.D., FSESc., Post Doc
- Areas of Specializations: Mycology and Microbiology
Prof. B.K. Sarojini
- Qualifications: M.Sc and Ph.D.
- Areas of Specializations: Organic Chemistry
- Qualifications: M.A. and Ph.D.
- Areas of Specializations: Macro Economics, Demography, Development Economics
Dr. T.N. Sreedhara
- Qualifications: M.Com and Ph.D.
- Areas of Specializations: Marketing Management, Human Resource Management, Third Sector Management
Read more: Mangalore University Faculty
Mangalore University FAQs
Ques. How is life at Mangalore University?
Ans. The university has a great campus life, with an area of 346 acres, every possible facility is provided to the students.There is a diverse population with students coming from Nepal, Namibia, Madagascar, and Afghanistan. The library at Mangalore University is one of the top libraries in Karnataka with the best infrastrcutre and vast collection of books. Additionally, the faculty members are highly experienced in their respective fields.
Ques. How can I apply for a transcript from Mangalore University?
Ans. To apply for an official transcript, the student will be required to visit an online portal dedicated for transcripts. One can simply enter their details and log in to the portal. Click here to visit the website.