University of Agricultural Sciences (UAS), Bangalore is a premier institution of agricultural education and research in the country. It began as a small agricultural research farm in 1899 on 30 acres of land donated by Her Excellency Maharani Kempa Nanjammanni Vani Vilasa Sannidhiyavaru, the Regent of Mysore and appointed Dr. Lehmann, German Scientist to initiate research on soil crop response with a Laboratory in the Directorate of Agriculture.
- Located at Bangalore, Karnataka
- Recognized by UGC and Govt. of Karnataka
- It was established in 1964.
- It inaugurated by Dr. Zakir Hussain, the Vice President of India.
The UAS has collaboration for education and research with National and International Institutes like Purdue University, USA, IOWA, State University, USA, University of Bremen, Germany, Mc-Gill University, Canada, Ghent University, Belgium, IARI, ICRISAT etc.
It has the following colleges:
- College of Agriculture, Bangalore
- College of Agriculture, Mandya
- College of Agriculture, Hassan
- College of Sericulture, Chintamani
- College of Basic Science and Humanities, Bangalore
- Kalidas Shetty, Professor at University of Massachusetts Amherst
- K.G. Raghothama, Professor and Associate Director at Purdue University
- K. V. Jacob, Joint Secretary in the Ministry of Defence
- Rangaswamy Dhruvanarayana, Member of the 15th Lok Sabha
- Sonny Ramaswamy, Administrator of the USDA's National Institute of Food and Agriculture
- The library has 1,52,063 volumes of books different disciplines covering all major fields of Agriculture
- The Library has 293 CD ROM’s and DVD’s
- The library is also having 17,920 Project Reports, 10,465 Thesis reports etc.
- The university has four college Hostels including Girls Hostels with separate arrangements for Post Graduate and Under Graduate Hostels at GKVK Campus.
- The Boys and Girls Hostels are situated at GKVK, Chintamani, Mandya & Hassan.
UAS awarded the Sardar Patel Outstanding ICAR Institution Award for excellence in teaching, research and extension in 2008 and 2012
- UAS was recognized as the best agricultural university in India by the Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) in 2001
- UAS was ranked third among state agriculture universities in 2008
- UAS was recognized as the best agricultural university in India by the Indian Council of Agricultural Research in 2012