Kerala University of Fisheries and Ocean Studies (KUFOS), the first fisheries university in the country, is a public funded autonomous institution. The university campus is spread over an area of more than 69 acres of land and it is nearest to the Ernakulam South Railway Station just 12 kilometers away. It is a pioneering institution of fisheries and ocean studies. The KUFOS boasts of a high quality faculty that is fully committed towards imparting the best of knowledge to the students.
- The two colleges which were previously under the Kerala Agricultural University namely College of Fisheries and Fisheries Research Station were subsequently affiliated to KUFOS
- The university however started functioning from the year 2011 in April
- Various courses relating to fisheries and marine life are being offered in the university along with certain other research programs
About Kerala University of Fisheries and Ocean Studies:
20th November 2010
UGC and Government of Kerala
AICTE, New Delhi
Located at Panangad, 12 km away from Kochi city, along NH-47, Kerala
Nearest Metropolitan City
- Department of Aquaculture
- Department of Nutrition and Feed Technology
- Department of Fish Health Management
- Department of Aquatic Biotechnology and Genetic Engineering
- Department of Fish Taxonomy and Biology
- Department of Fisheries Resource Management
- Department of Fishery Hydrography
- Department of Basic Science and Informatics
- Department of Management and Social Sciences
- Department of Climatic Variability and Aquatic Ecosystem
- School of Aquaculture and Biotechnology
- School of Fisheries Resource Management and Harvest Technology
- School of Aquatic Food Products and Technology
- School of Ocean Studies and Technology and so on
- National Service Scheme
- National Cadet Corps (NCC)
Separate hostels for both girls and boys are there to be availed by the students having everything that is needed.
- Basketball and volleyball courts, shuttle badminton court, table tennis, football field etc. are there for the students
- There is also a well-equipped gymnasium and a six-track ground in the campus.
Several events are also organized by the university all through the year such as seminars and conferences and other events.
- The World Fisheries Day in 2013 was celebrated by the KUFOS by organizing a grand and colorful rally and public conference.
- The Harvest Festival was also celebrated with great enthusiasm and participation by the students of the university.
- Ford Foundation Fellowship Programs for research-based study
- DBT Overseas Associateship
- Japanese Govt. Scholarship