IIT Bombay Quick Updates
- June 3: IIT Bombay E-Cell invites Campus Ambassadors' Applications. Check Here
- June 3: COVID Crisis: IIT Bombay has decided not to hold final year exams in view of the rising Coronavirus cases in the country.
- May 26: IIT-B students and alumni have come up with around-the-clock ambulance service to help the state in its fight against Corona.
- May 25: Last date for IIT JAM 2020 Application Form correction is May 25. Publishing of first admission list: June 29, 2020.
- May 18: IIT-B has developed a wash resistant antiviral coating textile for making COVID-19 Masks.
- May 13: IIT-B closes spring semester. Students will be graded on the basis of already conducted exams says Administration.
- May 12: Registration Deadline for IIT JAM Counselling has been extended to May 24. Click Here
- May 8: JEE Advanced Exam will be held on August 23. Revised schedule shall be updated soon. Check Here
- May 7: IIT Bombay develops testing method to detect asymptomatic coronavirus patient.
- May 6: IIT Bombay announced no exams to be held for the students this year, will mark students based on previous performance.
- April 30:JEE Main April session likely to be held on June 20-22 due to COVID-19 outbreak and Lockdown across the country
- April 22: Registration Deadline for Ph.D program is May 15. Click Here to Apply
- April 21: Registration Deadline for M.Des has been extended to May 15. Apply Now
- April 21: Registration Deadline for M.Tech and Dual Degree has been extended to May 15. Apply Now
- April 15: JEE Main Form Correction Window extended till May 3. Click Here
- April 9: Registration Deadline for M.Des program has been extended to May 15. Apply Now
- April 6: IIT Bombay Startup Design Smart Stetoscopes for doctors.
- April 2: JEE Advanced exam date postponed from May 17 due to coronavirus. Check Here
- March 23: IIT Bombay has released the official cut off of UCEED 2020 Exam. Click Here
- March 19: IIT Bombay M.Tech Registrations Started: Apply Now
- March 5:IIT Bombay ranks 44 in QS World Rankings 2020:Check Here
- March 4:IIT Bombay M.Des Registrations are ongoing. Apply Here
Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Bombay is ranked 3rd in the Engineering category by NIRF Ranking 2019., making it one of the best Engineering colleges in the country. In 53 years of IIT Bombay, it has 39000 graduate students from different fields and courses. Currently, the strength at IIT Bombay is 7202 students and a highly qualified and diverse faculty of 673 members across its under undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral programs.
IIT Bombay offers various specializations under B.Tech, M.tech, M.sc and Ph.D. courses. The qualifying examinations for these courses are JEE Mains, GATE and IIT JAM. Last year, the opening and closing cutoff for admission to B.Tech in Computer Science and Engineering was 1-63 and 10-313 for boys and girls respectively. The institute also has a great placement record with almost 1200 placement offers in the previous session. The median salary offered was INR 17.49 LPA overall across all departments. The recruiters include some multinational companies and reputed organizations such as Apple, Microsoft, Google, Uber, IBM, Samsung and many more.
IIT Bombay Highlights
|Established | Type||1958 | Autonomous|
|Accredited||UGC and AICTE|
|Popular Courses||B.Tech, M.Tech, M.Sc, Ph.d|
|Entrances||JEE, GATE and JAM|
IIT Bombay Ranking
of the leading Institutes in the country, Indian Institute of Technology Bombay has received rankings from many national and international platforms:
- Ranked 3rd in Engineering category by NIRF Ranking 2019
- Ranked 1st overall by Outlook Ranking 2019
- Ranked 2nd in Engineering category by The Week Ranking 2019
- Ranked 1st overall by QS Ranking 2019
- Ranked #151 - #175 in Engineering category internationally by Times Higher Education Ranking 2020
IIT Bombay Courses
IIT Bombay is known for its B.Tech program which is considered best in India. But over the period of time, IIT Bombay has developed itself as the leading institute for various programs. IIT Bombay offers various courses at undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral level
|Courses Offered||Specializations||Eligibility||Tuition Fee (First Year)|
|B.Tech||Civil Engineering||10+2 passed out from any recognized board with 75% marks.||INR 2,11,400|
|Computer Science and Engineering|
|M.Tech||Computer Science and Engineering||Graduated from any recognized university in a relevant stream.||INR 2,18,800|
|M.Sc||Mathematics||Bachelor’s degree in relevant field with 55% marks scored.||INR 42,600|
|Ph.D||Computer Science and Engineering|
- Master’s Degree in Engineering/Technology with at least 60% marks (55% marks for SC/ST) Valid GATE/CEED/JEST (for Physics) score OR Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) of CSIR/UGC/NBHM/DBT/ICAR/ICMR/ICPR OR DST INSPIRE Fellowship
Know more: IIT Bombay Courses
IIT Bombay Admission
Admissions in IIT Bombay are made through various entrance exams. Every course in IIT Bombay has its own national level entrance examination and hence the admission procedure varies with each program. The qualifying examinations are as follows:
|M.Tech\M.Tech + PhD||GATE|
|M.Sc and M.Sc + PhD||IIT JAM |
|PhD||GATE scores + Written Test and Personal Interview conducted by IIT Bombay management|
IIT Bombay Cutoff
IIT Bombay is one of the most preferred IITs for the top rank holders in JEE Advanced. In 2019 the Institute became the most preferred IIT for computer science specialization and some of the top rank holders got admission to the institute. Last year’s cutoff for admission to B.Tech is as tabulated below:
|Course||Male (Opening-Closing)||Female (Opening-Closing)|
|Computer Science and Engineering||1-63||10-313|
Check: IIT Bombay Cutoff
IIT Bombay Scholarship
IIT Bombay offers a scholarship for various programs. Mentioned below is the data of scholarships provided to the eligible students at IIT Bombay:
IIT Bombay Course-Wise Private Scholarships
|Ph.D. ||SJM School of Management Endowment Scholarship|
|IITB Monash Scholarship|
|EATON Technologies Pvt. Ltd.|
|SERB (Purdue Visiting Doctoral Fellowship (for 12 months))|
|M. Tech ||Forbes Marshall|
|Dr. Gargi Vishnoi Memorial Scholarship (Only for Biosciences and Bioengineering Department)|
|UG Programs||Named Scholarship |
IIT Bombay Course-Wise Government Scholarships
|Ph.D. ||NBHM (National Board of Higher Mathematics|
|DBT-JRF or DBT-SRF (Department of Biotechnology Jr. research Fellowship)|
|ICMR (Indian Council of Medical Research)|
|M.Tech ||DAE (DGFS) (BRNS) (Board of Research in Nuclear Sciences)|
|AERB (Atomic Energy Regulatory Board)|
|MERC (Maharashtra Electricity Regulatory Commission)|
|MPCB (Maharashtra Pollution Control Board)|
|Master of Science ||NBHM (National Board of Higher Mathematics)|
|UG Programs||National Scholarships (All States)|
|National Talent Search Scholarship (NTS)|
IIT Bombay Course-Wise Institute Scholarship
|M.Sc||Merit cum Means (MCM) Scholarship|
|Free Messing Facilities (SC/ST)|
|M.Sc/PhD Dual Degree|
|Under-Graduate||Institute Merit Cum Means|
|Free Messing (SC/ST)|
Know more: IIT Bombay Scholarship
IIT Bombay Placement
Indian Institute of Technology has a dedicated and highly functional Placement Cell that ensures that all students get an opportunity to get placed at renowned companies and organizations at the national and international levels. In the academic year 2018-2019, 343 companies made a total of 1186 job offers across courses. There were more than 200 offers from 57 companies offering a CTC of more than INR 16 LPA, along with an all-time highest number of PPOs reaching 131 in total.
The overall average CTC reached INR 17.49 LPA, including 108 international offers. Students were recruited across sectors such as Analytics, Education, Consulting, Finance, IT/Software, Research and Development, Engineering and Technology, Public Sector Undertaking and more. Some of the top past recruiters at IIT Bombay have been tech giants such as Boeing, Apple, Microsoft, Google, Uber, IBM, Samsung, Sony, Mahindra, BYJUs, Hyundai, L&T, Vedanta, Tata, HP, ITC and several more.
From the PG program, a total of 577 students were placed in the year 2018-2019 through IIT Bombay’s placement cell with an impressive median salary package of over INR 50.93 LPA. Over 1000 students from departments including aerospace, civil engineering, chemical engineering, computer science, engineering physics etc were also selected for internship opportunities with reputed companies.
Know more: IIT Bombay Placement
IIT Bombay Faculty
Indian Institute of Technology Bombay has a large and diverse faculty of 673 members across all departments, schools and centres. A majority of this number are Ph.D holders from renowned national and international universities in their respective disciplines. The faculty at IIT Bombay is the best in class and includes some of the most academically qualified individuals in the country. The faculty to student ratio at the college is about 14:1. All members are highly experienced and encourage students to learn through innovative methods for better clarification of concepts. They are always interactive with students and stay available for students even outside of classrooms. The faculty consists of professors, assistant professors, and associate professors.
Click here: IIT Bombay Faculty
IIT Bombay Facilities
The campus of the Indian Institute of Technology Bombay spreads across a massive area of 550 acres of land. The college is well known for providing students with the best campus life and several provisions to fulfill most requirements any student can face during their time at IIT Bombay:
- Central Library: This is one of the best IIT Libraries in the country with more than 2,40,000 books, along with 1,18,925 journals and other reading and reference material. The library is accessible to students, faculty and staff and also provides photocopying service.
- Hostel: There are a total of 17 hostels at IIT Bombay campus for boys and girls. Students are provided with various facilities such as internet, indoor games, sports,private mess etc. Students are offered semi-furnished rooms.
- Health Center: IIT Bombay has its own dedicated hospital with OPD and qualified specialists. The hospital is equipped with many facilities and necessary services. The ambulance is also available on a 24x7 basis for emergencies.
Check: IIT Bombay Hostel
IIT Bombay FAQs
Ques. How is IIT Bombay?
Ans. IIT Bombay is ranked 3rd in Engineering category by NIRF Ranking 2019, making is one of the best engineering colleges in the country with world-class faculty, quality of education, student life and other facilities in general. The college offers various undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral programs across many specializations. The college also has a huge campus and offers many provisions to its students including comfortable accommodation in hostels, access to one of the best IIT Libraries in India, sports facilities, extracurricular and cultural clubs and very importantly a great placement record. In the previous year’s placement session, more than 1180 students from undergraduate courses were placed at reputed companies and major organizations. 57 companies offered CTC packages of more than INR 16 LPA, followed by other high paying job offers. Overall IIT Bombay is a leading engineering college in India and is easily one of the best options for eligible candidates seeking admission.
Ques. How are the placements at IIT Bombay?
Ans. IIT Bombay has a placement record that has an equal footing with the other top IITs in India. The college has very high performance when it comes to placements, with an increase in companies visiting the campus every year to recruit students. In the previous placement session, 1186 job offers were made from 343 companies in total, marking a placement percentage of 84.47% overall and the highest so far. Over 200 placement offers were worth more than INR 16 LPA. The overall average CTC offered was INR 17.49 LPA and included 131 preplacement offers. More than 570 students from PG courses were also placed in reputed companies and scored a median salary of INR 50.93 LPA. Many students also received internship opportunities from well-known companies.
Ques. How to apply for admission at IIT Bombay?
Ans. The admission process for IIT Bombay is mostly through their online portal. Candidates seeking admission are first required to visit the official website of IIT Bombay and open the course details. After this, the candidate must click on the desired course that they are seeking admission to where they should see an option to apply online. Upon clicking, the candidate should register as a new user by filling out the required details. The candidates can then login with their credentials and proceed to fill out the admission form accurately and enter their academic qualifications as well. Lastly, students can pay the application fee and submit the application form.