Harvey Mudd College Admission 2020-2021, Requirement, Deadline & Acceptance Rate
Harvey Mudd College invites or offers admission only once each year. The college has a total of 889 enrollments as of Fall 2018. Admission at HMC is a bit competitive as the acceptance rate of the college is just 15%. Also, it offers several courses but Engineering, Computer Science, and Physics are the most popular among students.
For the academic session 2018-2019, the college received a total of 4101 applicants out of which 544 candidates were offered admission, and 224 enrolled.
- Harvey Mudd College accepts the Common Application and Coalition Application, and doesn't have any preference between these platforms.
- The university accepts both TOEFL and IELTS scores as proof of English proficiency.
- College only offers undergraduate admissions, so candidates are advised to apply accordingly.
- Due to a competitive acceptance rate, International candidates are required to apply as soon as possible.
|Admission Portal||Common Application and Coalition Application|
|Application fee||70 USD|
|Mode of payment||Online|
Harvey Mudd College Admission Deadlines
Admission deadlines are mentioned below in the table:
|Early Decision 1||Nov 15||Dec 15|
|Early Decision 2||Jan 5||Feb 15|
|Regular Decision||Jan 5||April 1|
|For International Applicants|
|Early Decision 1||Nov 15||N/A|
|Early Decision 2|
|Regular Decision||Feb 1||N/A|
|Returning students||Mar 2||N/A|
Harvey Mudd College International Student Admissions
The process of admission for international applicants is the same except the requirement of English proficiency scores and visa.
Admission Requirements for International Students
- Proof of English proficiency for non-native English speakers.
- Letter of recommendation by counselor and school report which must be submitted by the applicant’s counselor
- Required Additional Writing. An additional essay and short answer response are required. Preview the required additional writing topics and questions.
- Official transcripts which should be translated in English.
- Recommended not mandatory: A profile of applicant’s secondary school containing details of the number of classes and lab courses, nature of the grading system, curriculum, etc. Basically, this document should include any information that helps determine the quality of the candidate and their respective school.
- The International Student Certification of Finances form ( can be downloaded from the official website) must be submitted or deposited on or before Nov 15 for Early Decision I applicants, Jan 5 for Early Decision II applicants, & Feb 1 for Regular Decision applicants.
For Transfer Students
- Additional writing materials (same as for international applicants)
- College/Transfer Report. To be completed by an advisor, dean of students or registrar.
- Two letters of recommendation which needs to be completed by college instructors
- Mathematics or science college instructor
- Humanities or social sciences college instructor
- Official transcript from current attending college or university and any previous attending institutions.
- Official Final high school transcript.
- SAT/ACT/TOEFL/IELTS scores as per program requirements.
- Course descriptions (applicant’s in-progress coursework can be considered in the Mid-Term Report) is used for a preliminary credit evaluation.
*All the evaluations completed by a primary Instructor is preferred, but in some instances it may be difficult to obtain. In that case, an evaluation completed by a graduate/teacher’s assistant will also be accepted.
English Proficiency Test Score for International Students
Applicants whose native language is not English are required to provide the min below mention scores in order to get admission in the college :
|Test Type||Min Scores|
*College will not accept the General Training IELTS, as it does not test any academic skills.
Visa Process for International Students
- Visa process is standard for international applicants
- Medical Insurance is a must for all applicants
- The Student Health Center of college requires proof of the following immunizations and tests :
- Measles, Mumps, Rubella
- Tetanus, Diphtheria, Pertussis
- Meningococcal Tetravalent
- Tuberculosis Test
Further process ;
- Students can get I-20 form from the university's website by submitting Passport copy and other required documents
- After filling I-20, students need to pay SEVIS I-901 fee.
- Select your visa type like F1 or J1 as per your program requirement
- Visit the embassy and give an interview.
- Visa will be issued to you in 3-4 weeks
Harvey Mudd College Undergraduate Admissions
Harvey Mudd College offers several undergraduate courses to all the applicants. The basic admission process for all the courses is the same.
Where to Apply: Common Application and Coalition Application
Application Fee: 70 USD
Admission Requirements: Applicants must provide the following documents at the time of admission:
- Transcripts or diploma of high school
- SAT/ACT scores
- Guidance counselor’s recommendation
- English proficiency test score for international applicants
As of now the college doesn’t offers Graduate courses or admissions.
Admission to HMC is a difficult task to achieve, not all the candidates satisfying these standards can be admitted. The applicant needs to exceed these requirements to get admission.
College releases the application dates on or before the week of November for early decision candidates, however, students who are selected for secondary review will be issued their final admissions decision in April.