University of Miami: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
The University of Miami is a private research university founded in 1925. The university campus spans across 3 locations - Coral Gables campus, Medical campus, and Marine campus. The University of Miami has 11 schools and colleges where top courses offered are Medicine, Marine Science, Engineering, Education, and Psychology. Programs offered at the University of Miami are accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) and 19 other professional agencies. The Bascom Palmer Eye Institute of the university’s health system ranked at the top position in ophthalmology for the 18th times in the U.S. News and World Report “Best Hospitals” ranking 2019-20.
University of Miami admissions are offered on a rolling basis and observe an application deadline of January 1. It also requires an application fee of 70 USD from all its aspirants along with the completed application form to be submitted at the official website of the institute. With an acceptance rate of around 32%, the organization is indeed one of the highly selective universities to study in the USA.
Top Programs in University of Miami
|Programs||Fees Per Annum|
|M.Sc Computer Science||$63,000|
|Master of International Business||$65,100|
|M.Sc Mechanical Engineering||$63,000|
University of Miami Rankings
The ranking of the University of Miami by different reputed ranking agencies are as follows:
U.S. News and World Report 2021
- 49 in National Universities
- 25 in Best Colleges for Veterans
- 89 in Best Value Schools
- 251 in Top Performers on Social Mobility
- 118 in Best Engineering Programs
Times Higher Education World University Rankings
- 201-250th in World University Rankings 2021
- 53rd in U.S. College Rankings 2021
QS Top Universities
- 291st in QS World University Rankings 2021
- 39th in QS World University Rankings: USA 2020
|Annual Endowment||1.02 billion USD|
|Student Retention Rate||91%|
|Application Fee||70 USD|
|Campus Housing Capacity||39%|
|Intake Season||Fall and Spring|
|Mode of Program||Full-time, Part-time|
|English Language Proficiency score||TOEFL|
|Financial Aid||Available in the form of grants, awards and scholarships|
University of Miami Campus
- The University of Miami holds 400 acres of land distributed into 3 campuses.
- The main campus of the Miami University is the Coral Gables campus spread across 239 acres in a suburban setting.
- It has music, the chemistry building, indoor baseball facilities, more than 60 computer labs in a residential college, libraries, schools and colleges, staff buildings, etc.
- The second campus i.e. the Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine occupies 72 acres of the 153-acre University of Miami and Jackson Memorial Medical Center Complex.
- While the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science is located on the Marine campus located on a waterfront on Virginia Key in Biscayne Bay.
University of Miami Housing
- The University of Miami offers various on-campus housing options to its undergraduate students through:
- Four residential halls
- University Village
- Lakeside Village
- The University provides both single and double-occupancy rooms based on seniority. So, freshmen are mostly assigned double occupancy rooms.
- International students or non-local freshmen students must live in university housing for at least two academic semesters.
- The University of Village serves an apartment-style residential facility only to juniors and seniors who have completed 60 or more credit hours.
- The apartments consist of in-apartment washers and dryers, kitchens are equipped with a stove, refrigerator, microwave, & dishwasher. It also offers parking facilities, an extra fee is required.
- The Lakeside Village offers mixed apartment-style and suite-style housing.
- The housing facilities are coeducational. Men and Women live on alternative floors or suites.
- Undergraduate students who have been accepted into UMiami can apply via CaneLin by May 15.
University of Miami Courses
- The University of Miami offers 132 bachelor’s degrees including 180 undergraduate majors and minors, 148 master’s degrees, 67 doctoral, and a specialist degree program.
- It has 11 schools and colleges where a variety of programs are offered. The schools and colleges include:
- School of Architecture
- College of Arts and Sciences
- Miami Herbert Business School
- School of Law
- School of Communication
- College of Engineering
- School of Education and Human Development
- Miller School of Medicine
- Frost School of Music
- Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science
- School of Nursing and Health Studies
- The Graduate School
- The highest enrollment of students was recorded in the Arts and Science, Miami Herbert Business School, Engineering and Nursing and Health Studies.
- Some of the popular majors include Business, Management, Engineering, Biological, Health Studies, Social Studies, etc.
University of Miami Application Process
Admissions at the University of Miami are highly competitive as it searches for students who demonstrate high academic qualifications, personal integrity, and the seriousness of the student regarding education.
Application Fee: 70 USD
Application Portal: Common Application
- Official high school transcripts must be submitted. It must be submitted electronically via Common Application
- Optional submission of standardized test scores. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, students who are applying for the Fall 2021 term don't have to compulsorily submit the ACT or SAT score.
- A school report should be completed by the high school guidance counselor.
- Two letters of recommendation must be submitted
- A statement of purpose is considered to be very important of 650 words or less.
- Health certificate
University of Miami Cost of Attendance
As prospective applicants of the university, you are encouraged to plan your finances in advance if looking to take admission in the upcoming session. To help you with the same, an estimated budget for international students looking to study in the US is as follows:
University of Miami Cost of Attendance: International UG Students
|Expenses||Undergraduate On-Campus (USD)||Undergraduate Off-Campus or University Village (USD)||With Parent/Relative (USD)|
|Housing and Meals||15,470||19,190||6,396|
|Total Cost of Attendance:||73,712||77,432||64,638|
University of Miami Cost of Attendance: International Graduate Students
|Expenses||Fall Semester (USD)||Spring Semester (USD)||9 Month (USD)||Summer 2021 (USD)||12 month (USD)|
|Total Cost of Attendance||54,876||51,042||1,05,918||22,536||1,32,288|
University of Miami Scholarships
- The institute provides scholarships for international students to study in the USA and the applicants are required to apply for any of the scholarships they are eligible for at the time of applying to the university.
- The University of Miami provides both merits and need-based financial aid to international students.
- International students who wish to be considered for need-based financial aid must complete the CSS profile by the given deadlines.
- Incoming undergraduate international students are automatically considered for merit-based scholarships based on their achievements.
- Some popular scholarship programs offered at the University of Miami are following:
|Scholarship||Values||Scholarship Application Deadline|
|Stamp Scholarship||Full cost of attendance + Enrichment Fund Stipend||Early decision 1/ Early action deadline: November 1|
|Isaac Bashevis Singer Scholarship||Full cost of attendance||Early decision 1/ Early action deadline: November 1|
|President Scholarship||Up to 28,000 USD annually||Early decision 1/ Early action deadline: November 1;
Early decision 2/ Regular decision: January 1
|Canes Achievement Award||Up to 16,000 USD annually||Early decision 1/ Early action deadline: November 1;
Early decision 2/ Regular decision: January 1
In addition to the scholarships mentioned above, international students with an F-1 visa can take care of the expenses by working on campus for a maximum of 20 hours per week under the work-study program.
University of Miami Alumni Network
- The alumni network of the University of Miami comprises more than 181,531 living alumni.
- Each of the alumni gets a free lifetime membership in the Alumni Association, they enjoy special membership deals, discounts and lots more.
- Some of the notable alumni are as follows:
- Dwayne Johnson - Actor and Producer
- Ben Folds - Lyricist
- Grace Slick - Lyricist
- Warren Sapp- Footballer
- Jeff Garlin - Comedian
University of Miami Placements
- 89% of the graduates of the class of 2019 were either employed or in further education within 6 months from graduation.
- Out of the students with secure post-grad plans, 58% had full-time jobs, 34% were in graduate school while 7% were in part-time jobs and 1% had other plans such as volunteering or military positions.
- The median salary of the University of Miami graduates was 55,000 USD.
- Graduates worked for companies like Google, PwC, Citi, Citrix, Bloomingdales, JP Morgan Chase, etc.
- Students enrolled for further education in NYU, Boston University, Columbia University, John Hopkins University, etc.
- While studying at the University of Miami, around 50% of the students completed an internship, 20% studied abroad while 31% participated in the research. Around 84% of the students used services offered by Toppel. Toppel Services offer resume and cover letter review, career expo and fairs, career advising and job searching, and intern listing.
- The University of Miami, USA organizes a large number of career fairs for its students like Fall Career Fair, Startup Career Fair, Workshops, Creative Industries Career Fair, Civil, and Environmental Career Fair, and Spring Career Fair, Placement Test, Teacher-Recruitment Fair, Career Link, Career Assessment Activities and numerous more which facilitate students in getting decent jobs.
Ques. What is the acceptance rate of the University of Miami?
Ans. University of Miami is quite selective while accepting candidates for admissions. The acceptance rate is 27%.
Ques. What GPA is required to get at the University of Miami?
Ans. The average GPA required to get in University of Miami is 3.6
Ques. What is the average SAT and ACT required for University of Miami admissions?
Ans. The average SAT and ACT score required respectively is 1355 and 30 to get into University of Miami.
Ques. What is the tuition fee of the University of Miami?
Ans. The total undergraduate tuition fee required is USD 73,712.
Ques. Does the University of Miami provide housing facilities for its admitted students?
Ans. Yes. The University of Miami provides more than 1100 beds for students’ housing facilities.
Ques. What are some popular programs offered at the University of Miami?
Ans. Some popular programs offered at UM is Engineering, Architecture, Arts, Music, Nursing, Public Health, and Education, etc
Ques. Is the University of Miami a good school?
Ans. It has been ranked 49th best college in America by US News. Another reputed website/institute like THE, The Princeton Review has ranked the University of Miami in the top lists. Yes, it is a good school.
Ques. What is the University of Miami known for?
Ans. The University of Miami is known as one of the best research universities in the US.
Ques. What is the application deadline of the University of Miami?
Ans. The regular action deadline for the fall semester is January 1
Ques. Does the University of Miami facilitate scholarship/financial aid opportunities to needy students?
Ans. Yes. The University of Miami provides several scholarship opportunities to first-year, international, and US citizens.
FIND A PROGRAM
Application Portal : https://miami.edu/admission/index.php/undergraduate_admission/apply/
Early Action Deadlines
Regular Decision Deadlines
|total faculty||full time||part time||graduate assistants|
Times Higher Education
RANKED #201 - #250
RANKED #301 - #400
RANKED #301 - #400
RANKED #251 - #300
RANKED #251 - #300
View More >>
QS World University
UM is a major research university engaged in research and sponsored program. While the majority of this work is housed at the Miller School of Medicine, investigators conduct hundreds of studies in other areas, including marine science, engineering, education, and psychology. I had applied through a common application form for an amount of $70, Also, my GPA was around 6.5.
Course Curriculum :
The da Vinci Program encourages us to rethink the map of human knowledge. It emphasizes connections between humanistic and scientific inquiry and their modes of understanding: objectivity, critical analysis, self-reflexivity, the nature of proof, authority, and the logic and rhetoric of written expression. It also helps define the distinctive elements that humanities classes can offer to STEM-minded students.
The University of Miami is a vibrant and diverse academic community focused on teaching and learning, the discovery of new knowledge, and service to the South Florida region and beyond. I secured a GPA of 7.1 and had applied through an online application form for a $70 application fee.
Course Curriculum :
The Master of Science in Data Science is designed to provide interdisciplinary connections and experiential learning opportunities across all aspects of data science and computing: from machine learning to marine science, from city planning to communications.
Miami University is a very popular university with premium degree programs and courses at premium prices. The colleges have very good placement statistics and have good reviews about the faculties as well which were the main reason why I filled up the $70 application form.
Course Curriculum :
The Master of Science program in Computer Science is overseen by the Computer Science Graduate Committee (CSGC). The basic guidelines for approval of a student's program are recommendations appearing in the Communications of the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM), the professional society in Computer Science.
Belonging to an architecture background, I wanted to pursue my undergraduate studies in architecture from the USA and had applied in 5 universities. I had applied at this ivy league university as it was the most efficient school among top national universities, being ranked 3rd for undergraduate teaching nationwide. I had applied through an online common application form by paying $70 as an application fee. I had secured a GPA of 7 at high school and wanted to pursue my education from this university as they were providing education at an affordable amount.
Course Curriculum :
The course included a wide in-depth knowledge about subjects that included architecture and culture, general physics, architecture and behavior, and management of the professional practice, along with models and presentations representing the modern architect. The curriculum even includes group projects, which were evaluated by experienced architects, thus providing us with practical knowledge, along with theoretical studies.
The University offered everything I was looking for in a college! The nursing program is well-known, you couldn't ask for a better location and the University has a great overall reputation! Plus, I wanted a break from winters :)
Course Curriculum :
Overall, I like it, but I wish some changes would be made to the cognate system. It prevented me from obtaining a double minor. Say you find a cognate you enjoy and want to continue with it to earn a minor, you lose the cognate (which is required for graduation). I wanted to continue with Spanish to earn a minor, but by continuing, I would not be able to graduate on time since I would have to find and complete another cognate to take the place of Spanish.
- Book Store
- Train Station
- Super Market
- Shopping Mall
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary