George Mason University is a public research university located at Fairfax County, Virginia. Mason has also been ranked 22nd nationwide for top internship opportunities (The Princeton Review) and the 12th Safest Campus in the United States (National Council for Home Safety and Security).
The university recognizes over 500 student and over 24,000 Undergraduate Students and 10,000 Graduate Students make up for a total of around 35,000 students currently enrolled in the university.
Popular majors of the university are:-
- Psychology, General
- Criminal Justice/Police Science
- Information Technology
- Biology/Biological Sciences, General
Why Choose George Mason University?
- George Mason faculty have twice won the Nobel Memorial Prize in Economics.
- The official endowment of George Mason University as of December 2017 was that worth US$85.4 million.
George Mason University Schools and Colleges
George Mason University includes several schools which are:-
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences
- College of Science
- School of Business
- Antonin Scalia Law School
- School of Engineering
- College of Health and Human Services
- College of Visual and Performing Arts
- Schar School of Policy and Government
- College of Education and Human Development
- School for Conflict Analysis and Resolution
- Krasnow Institute for Advanced Study
Campus Housing Facilities at George Mason University
- Mason has four campuses in Fairfax, Arlington and Prince William Counties in Virginia and an international campus in Songdo, Korea.
- The Fairfax campus is the largest of the 4 campuses and consists of massive 677 wooded acres in a suburban neighbourhood outside of Washington, DC. EagleBank Arena is also situated here.
Mason has more than 40 resident halls, from traditional rooms to suite apartments. Freshmen are required to stay at the campus. The students need to stay at a resident hall for at least a semester.
George Mason University Admission Process
Pre-Requisites for admission into George Mason University
- Test score: SAT/ACT for UG students; GRE/GMAT for Graduate students
- English language proficiency test score: TOEFL; IELTS (applicable only for graduate students)
- CV or Resume
- Letters of recommendation
- A statement of objective
- Apply directly through the online application portal on the official website
- Each department has its own website and its own set of requirements
- Application deadline varies for each program
- Application fee for undergraduate/graduate students: 75 USD
George Mason University Cost of Attendance
Estimated Cost of Attendance at George Mason University is tabulated below:-
|Requirements||Undergraduate Expenses||Graduate Expenses|
|Tuition and Fee||35,922 USD||26,794 USD|
|Room and Board||12,630 USD||N/A|
|Personal Expenses||2,330 USD||N/A|
|Additional Cost||1,200 USD||1,200 USD|
Scholarships and Financial Aid offered by George Mason University
Students must submit their degree application to be considered for scholarship opportunities, and once they have received their offer letter, they must ask their education counsellor whether there is a scholarship available.
- Around 30% of the total intake receive some kind of scholarship.
- The average amount of scholarship provided is 8,000 USD.
- Some of the scholarships available at George Mason University are as follows –
|INTO Mason Regional Scholarship||1,000 USD – 5,000 USD|
|The Long Nguyen and Kimmy Duong Scholarship Program for Vietnamese-American students between the ages of 17 and 30||Up to 2,000 USD|
|Scholarship America Dream Award||5,000 USD - 15,000 USD|
George Mason University Alumni
Some of the benefits of being a George Mason University alumni are:-
- All Alumni are allowed access to campus resources such as the Libraries, Eagle Bank Arena and much more.
- The Mason Alumni Insurance Program is a helpful resource for health and term life insurance for alumni and their family members.
Notable Alumni of George Mason University are:-
- President of Puntland and Prime Minister of Somalia - Abdiweli Mohamed Ali
- Iranian-American engineer, co-founder of Prodea Systems and the first Muslim woman in space - Anousheh Ansari
- Treasurer of the United States under President - George W. Bush, Anna E. Cabral
- Commissioner of the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission - Kathleen L. Casey