University of Nebraska (UNL) Lincoln Courses, Rankings, Admission Criteria, Fee & Scholarships
University of Nebraska is a public land grant university located in Lincoln, Nebraska, United States. It is a renowned public institution of the US Education System that was originally known as the University of Omaha. It has a total undergraduate enrollment of 12,430 and operates on a semester-based calendar. International students from over 100 countries bring diversity to the campus. The University offers associate, bachelor’s, master’s degree and doctoral degrees as well as certain postgraduate certificate programs. The university is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC).
It is a research extensive institution with focus on undergraduate education. The university is classified within the Carnegie R1: Doctoral Universities - Highest Research Activity and is a member of the Big Ten Conference and the Big Ten Academic Alliance. University of Nebraska ranks A-Plus Schools for B Students in the U.S. News and World Report. The university is ranked among the top one-third national universities in the U.S. The University of Nebraska features in tier 1 of the national research universities in the US and has been constantly involved in delivering high-quality research output. Notably, the university aims to increase the research expenditure to up to 450 million USD by 2025. Currently, the institute has more than 3000 international students representing over 136 countries, It stood inclusive and globally engaged university.
The institute offers more than 200 undergraduate and nearly 70 graduate courses across its 10 diverse colleges. Admissions at University of Nebraska opens its gates for intakes in the 3 seasons of Fall, Summer and Spring. The students must also deposit a non-refundable application fee of 45 USD with their respective forms. It is a moderately selective university for studying in the USA that has an acceptance rate of 64%.
University of Nebraska Rankings
Following are the latest rankings of University of Nebraska: U.S. News and World Report 2021
- #133 in National Universities
- #93 in Best Colleges for Veterans
- #62 in Top Public Schools
- #101 in Best Value Schools
- #12 in Biological/Agricultural
- #303 in Top Performers on Social Mobility
- #90 in the Best Undergraduate Engineering Programs
Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2021
- 401-500th in World University rankings 2021
- 336th in the U.S. college ranking 2021
QS Top Universities 2021
- #561-570 in QS world university ranking
- #111-120 in the US UNI ranking
The subject rankings of the university are:
|Agriculture and Forestry||#51-100|
|Computer Science and Information Systems||#551-600|
|Life Sciences and Medicine||#401-450|
|Location||Lincoln, Nebraska, United States|
|Application Fee||45 USD|
|Application Season||Fall, Summer and Spring|
|English language proficiency score||TOEFL or equivalent|
|Financial Aid||Available as grants, awards and scholarships|
University of Nebraska Programs, Campus and Accommodation
- The University campus is situated 6.8 miles away from Eppley Airfield Airport in Omaha.
- Spread over 685 acres, the university has a total of 4 campuses namely, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, University of Nebraska Medical College, University of Nebraska- Omaha and the University of Nebraska Kearney.
- The University has set up a recreation center that has fitness classes, sports (competitive and non-competitive), massage therapies and outdoor adventures.
- For medical purposes, students can approach the University Health Centre. It offers certain services to students for free of costs as long as they have paid the tuition.
- The university entails more than 285 student clubs and organizations. The University houses a total of 14610 undergraduates.
Housing Facilities/ Residence
- Students can choose between traditional residential halls, suite-style dorms and apartments. There are 10 traditional halls on campus.
- There are three buildings with suit-styled rooms.
- The university also provides a Learning Community experience to students who would want to share their living space with people who have shared academic interests. For this experience, there is an application procedure and it is on a first come first serve basis.
- Off-campus housing facilities are also provided to the students in the form of apartments namely in hotels like Courtyard Marriott, Hampton Inn, Residence Inn.
- The University provides a plethora of courses for international students including more than 200 undergraduate degrees and over 70 graduate degrees and certificates. Nationally recognized bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degrees are offered in the University.
- The popular majors of the college include Criminal justice, business administration, psychology, accounting, and biological science.
- More than 1000 study abroad options are provided by the institute. The university also offers combined degree programs in partnerships like UNO/UNL; UNO/UNMC in courses like business administration.
University of Nebraska Application Process
How to Apply?
Application portal: Apply online application portal at the official website
Application Fee: An application fee of 45 USD is to be paid online after the submission of the application and this fee is non-refundable.
Application deadlines: The admissions to the University are viewed on the rolling basis. The undergraduate application deadlines for the fall session of 2020 and 2021 are:
|Session||Application Deadline (Undergraduate)||Application Deadline (Graduate)|
|Fall||May 1||March 1|
|Spring||December 1||September 1|
|Summer||May 1||February 1|
Basic Admission Requirements
- Official transcripts have to be sent by the institution in which the student earned credit to the University of Nebraska Omaha. Note that hand-carried or student-submitted transcripts will not be accepted.
- SAT/ACT scores
- English proficiency test scores like TOEFl, IELTS or equivalent. Minimum scores required for the university as a valid score of English language is as follows:
University of Nebraska Cost of Attendance
For all the applicants of the university, the estimated budget for international students looking to study in the US has been tabulated below.
|Tuition fees||25,828 USD||8,882 USD||38,050 USD|
|Housing and food||11,830 USD||12,706 USD||12,706 USD|
|Personal||3,320 USD||3,520 USD||3,966 USD|
|Books and supplies||1,044 USD||664 USD||1,724 USD|
|Loan||64 USD||156 USD||156 USD|
|Total||42,086 USD||35,928 USD||56,602 USD|
University of Nebraska Scholarships/Financial Aid
The institute offers various awards and scholarships for international students to study in the USA. An average of 58% of full-time undergraduate students receives some sort of financial aid. In order to receive grants, students have to apply by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The following scholarships are offered to other students :
- The Chancellor's scholarship offers 3000 USD per year. Eligibility: ACT composite of 28-29, rank in top 25% of class or GPA of more than 3.5.
- The Dean's scholarship offers 2000 USD per year. Eligibility: ACT OF 26-27, Rank in the top 25% of class or GPA of 3 or higher.
Some other awards available for the applicants of the institute are as tabulated below.
|Scholarship Name||Amount (USD)|
|Global Laureate Tuition Scholarship||15,000|
|Global Excellence Tuition Scholarship||12,000|
|Global Ambassador Tuition Scholarship||10,000|
|Global Diplomat Tuition Scholarship||8,000|
|Global Delegate Tuition Scholarship||4,000|
|Global Consul Tuition Scholarship||2,000|
University of Nebraska Alumni Network
- The University has a huge number of Alumni members which reaches up to 58,000.
- The resources on the campus and in the community are always available for the members of the Alumni. They also have huge networking which becomes very helpful.
- The membership holders get various perks like UNL library access, Travel, golf and insurance discounts, Exclusive life member license plate, lapel pin, permanent member card and gifts, Nebraska Champions Club and venue rental discount, Access to the Nebraska Club and many more.
- A few notable alumni: Chuck Hagel- 24th United States Secretary of Defense(2013-2015); Amala Duggirala-Enterprise Chief Information Officer, Regions Bank; Marlin Briscoe-Former American Football Player.
University of Nebraska Placements
University of Nebraska offers a variety of opportunities for the students who wish to get good placements in the companies. Handshake is the place for students of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln to engage with employers and search/apply for internships, co-ops. The university career center helps students to manage the interviews by providing the resume basics, interview questions, prioritize top options of students, career fairs, soft skills etc.
Students can work on campus in several student jobs available in the website. There are various Career and Internships Fair organized on the campus such as College of Education Job Fair, UNO Spring Career and Internships Fair, Summer Opportunities Fair and many more. The graduation rate is 46%. The median starting salary of an undergraduate is 48,500 USD. According to Emolument, the graduates and alumni salaries by degree can be seen as:
|Master in Science||127,000 USD|
|Bachelor of Arts||94,000 USD|
|Bachelor of Science||63,000 USD|
Ques. What GPA is required for admission to University of Nebraska?
Ans. A minimum GPA of 3.0 is required for admission to the University of Nebraska.
Ques. What is the acceptance rate of the University of Nebraska?
Ans. The acceptance rate of the University of Nebraska in fall 2019 was 78%.
Ques. Is University of Nebraska test-optional?
Ans. ACT/ SAT test scores are not required for admission to the college.
Ques. What is the tuition for University of Nebraska?
Ans. The tuition fee for undergraduate programs is 25,828 USD and for graduate programs is 8,882 USD and may vary depending on the choice of program.
Ques. What are the intake sessions of the University of Nebraska?
Ans. The University of Nebraska invites applications for the fall, spring and summer sessions.
Ques. What is the application fee of University of Nebraska?
Ans. The application fee of University of Nebraska is 45 USD.
Ques. Does the University of Nebraska offer financial aid?
Ans. Yes, the University offers for financial aids in the form of scholarships, grants, loans, and many more, some of them are Chancellor’s scholarships, Dean’s Scholarships, etc.
Ques. Does the University of Nebraska offer housing facilities?
Ans. Yes, the University of Nebraska offers housing facilities.
Ques. What is the student retention rate of University of Nebraska?
Ans. The student-retention rate of full-time students attending University of Nebraska is 81%.
Ques. What is the graduation rate of the University of Nebraska?
Ans. The overall graduation rate of the University of Nebraska is 66%.
FIND A PROGRAM
COLLEGE STUDENT REVIEWS
Application Portal : https://admissions.unl.edu/apply/
Early Action Deadlines
Regular Decision Deadlines
|total faculty||full time||part time||graduate assistants|
Times Higher Education
RANKED #401 - #500
RANKED #201 - #250
RANKED #301 - #400
RANKED #301 - #400
RANKED #201 - #250
View More >>
QS World University
RANKED #561 - #570
UNL is a public and research-driven university. Not many people know about this but the university has a top CS program. Many recruiters come here every semester for CS graduates from UNL. The agriculture program of UNL is ranked in the top 5 in the states.
Course Curriculum :
Our curriculum is advanced and research-driven. Lincoln is surrounded by software companies ( Nelnet, Spreetail, DMSI, etc) that constantly hire UNL students. There is a very good chance you will get a very good internship in your sophomore year.
I'd heard a lot about the university's MBA program before, is among the most known universities in the US, so when I decided to do an MBA myself, I did some research and applied. I applied online with an application fee of $50.
Course Curriculum :
The best thing about the curriculum to me is, apart from the core courses like Strategy, Economics, Finances, OB, Marketing, Analytics, and HR, there is a variety of electives and specializations to choose from and hence, I could customize my MBA to suit my interests. Since I was in the logistics industry, I specialized in Supply Chain Management. Though at times the courses could be challenging, I was able to easily translate them into practical, takeaway lessons and apply them to my work.
I came across the University while searching on the net. The university had the option to hire an academic coach or study for free at Study Stop locations. So I chose this University. I applied via CommonApp, the application fee was $45. I scored around 80% in my stream. My stream was Commerce.
Course Curriculum :
Our coursework includes Introductory Accounting Principles I & II. Business Law is also part of the core curriculum. Our program gives us insight into various Business Core Foundation subjects and beyond. We are taught about entrepreneurial skills and also about accounting in both the private and public sectors.
I liked the campus and the setup of the campus. Everything was close by and easy to get around. The people on campus were great as well. It worked really well. The people in the college are super friendly and nice as well.
Course Curriculum :
The corse curriculum was really well structured. The courses went well together and flowed really well. It meshed good. I am not sure how it works other places but you could feel this one went the right way
Big school, great facilities-scholarships, in-state tuition for out of state students-huge dorms. Great football program. My brother also goes here and I visited a lot and really got to know the school and the overall feel of the place. The students are super chill and kind very accepting.
Course Curriculum :
I have nothing to compare it to. I find it challenging but also my core classes make me think out of the box. I enjoy my classes because of that. As I get more core related classes I think I will be able to give you a more in-depth answer.
- Book Store
- Super Market
- Shopping Mall
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary