California State University: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
California State University – Northridge is a public university with its campus located in Northridge, Los Angeles, California. It is a 4-year university offering bachelor’s, master’s as well as doctoral degrees. Programs offered by CSU Northridge prioritizes on building intellect and the welfare of students.
It is home to 38,310 students and more than 4,000 faculty and staff. There are more than 45 fraternities and sororities on campus. Apart from this CSUN hosts events throughout the year like CSUN Cinematheque (film screenings), Big Show (artists like Ludacris and Lupe Fiasco).
With more than 133 undergraduate programs and 84 master’s degrees, Business, Psychology, and Communication are the most popular programs. CSUN provides financial aid to international students to study in the USA.
California State University - Northridge Rankings
CSUN is ranked among the top universities in the USA by many leading magazines and agencies. A snapshot of the same is given below.
US News and World Report 2021 Rankings:
- #40 in Regional Universities West
- #10 in Best Undergraduate Teaching
- #21 in Top Performers on Social Mobility
- #18 in Top Public Schools
- #33 in Best Undergraduate Engineering Programs
Niche 2021 Rankings:
- #187 of 676: Top Public Universities in America
- #235 of 1,674: Most Liberal Colleges in America
- #102 of 131: Best Big Colleges in America
- #52: America's Best Midsize Employers 2021
- #474: Top Colleges 2019
- #165: In Public Colleges
- #93: In The West
- #92: America's Best Value Colleges 2019
|Type of university||Public|
|Location||Northridge, Los Angeles, California|
|Total Number of Students Enrolled||38,310|
|Total Number of Faculty||2000|
|Retention Rate (Full- time students)- Fall 2018||81%|
|Overall Graduation Rate (Fall 2013)||55%|
|English language proficiency score||Required|
|Financial aid||Scholarships/ Grants/ Loans/ Work-Study|
California State University - Northridge Campus
- California State University – Northridge has a campus spread over 356 acres located in Northridge, Los Angeles.
- The campus has a Student Recreation Centre spread across 138,000 square foot which promotes health and fitness through various exercise and leisure activities.
- Oviatt Library is also located on the campus of CSUN which gives students access to all important educational resources.
- There are various sports clubs and organizations on-campus.
- The CSUN student union has a number of centers like the Dream Center, Pride Center, Games Room, Northridge Center, etc.
- Students can get involved through the Matador Involvement Center where they can discover various organizations and clubs, volunteer projects, resources for leadership development, and fraternities, and sororities. They can meet people with similar interests through the MIC.
California State University - Northridge Residence
- There are 3 types of residence facilities available to the students on campus.
- First is the Suites at University Park which are for incoming first-year students.
- The Apartments at the University Park are mainly occupied by incoming first-year students, returning undergraduate students as well as graduate students.
- The Apartments at the University Village are for students who have dependents, children, spouses or partners.
- All the residences at the University Park are equipped with free wireless internet facilities and Ethernet, gates with key card access while the Apartments at University Village does not have utilities like internet facilities.
- To apply for housing students must submit a separate application. This application can be submitted even before admission to the University is confirmed.
- Applying early is beneficial as housing is provided on a first-come, first-serve basis.
California State University - Northridge Courses
- The popular masters programs at California State University Northridge are Education, Social Sciences, Communication, Journalism & Related Programs, Psychology, Business, Marketing, Management, & Related Support Services.
- California State University Northridge offers 133 disciplines in bachelor’s degrees, 84 master’s degrees, and doctorates in Physical Therapy & Educational Leadership.
- Programs are offered by 9 colleges that form the University.
- The fields in which various academic programs are offered include Anthropology, Art, Biology, Business Law, Philosophy, Nursing, Real Estate, Social Work, Sociology, Theatre, etc.
- 14 teaching credential programs are also offered in the field of education.
California State University - Northridge Application Process
California State University - Northridge accepts applications from international students for the fall and spring semesters. As an international student, one may have to fulfill additional requirements like English language proficiency and visa procedure.
How to Apply?
The process for admission to CSUN has been discussed below:
Application Portal: Online Application
Application Fee: 70 USD
Application Deadline: The application for the Spring semester is available from August 1 while for Fall semester applications are available from October 1. Following table represents the application deadline and document submission deadline:
|Semester||Application Deadline||Document Submission Deadline|
|Spring||October 31||November 15|
|Fall||May 31||June 15|
Admission Requirements: International applicants must submit the following documents along with the application for admission:
- Official transcripts of the required qualifications.
- Official translation of documents in a language other than English must be submitted.
- Minimum GPA of 3.0 on 4.0 or grade B
- Essay and/or SOP for US
- Letters of recommendation to study in US
- Affidavit of Financial Support
- Copy of passport
- GRE scores or other graduate examinations
- English Language Proficiency scores will also be required to be submitted by the students who do not belong to English speaking countries. The minimum requirements for admission to courses are tabulated below:
|Test||Minimum required score for undergraduates||Minimum required score for graduates|
|Cambridge C1 Advanced English||172||180|
|EIKEN CSE – Common Scale for English||2304 (Pre-1)||2630 (1)|
California State University - Northridge Cost of Attendance
The estimated cost of attendance for undergraduate and graduate students living on campus for the session 2020-21 are given below:
|Expenses||Cost per year for undergraduates (USD)||Cost per year for graduates (USD)|
|Tuition and other fees||7,012||8,446|
|Books and supplies||1,486||1,486|
|Room and board||11,662||11,662|
International applicants will incur an additional 396 USD per unit.
California State University - Northridge Scholarships/Financial Aid
- Various on-campus and off-campus scholarships are available to international students.
- Applications for on-campus scholarships are available from November.
- Some scholarships available for international students are as follows:
|Name of Scholarship||Eligibility Criteria||Amount Awarded (USD)|
|Associated Students International Matador Scholarship||Awarded to an international applicant enrolled in a full-time program; Undergraduate applicants with a minimum GPA of 3.0 are eligible;
Graduate applicants with a minimum GPA of 3.5 are eligible.
|CSUN Alumni Graduate Scholarship||Applicants must have a minimum GPA of 3.0; Applicants must be enrolled in the undergraduate program of at least 12 units or graduate program of 6 units;
Applicants must demonstrate leadership skills and extracurricular activities.
|Presidential Scholarship||Applicants must have a minimum GPA of 3.5; Applicant must be a current student who has completed at least 60 units;
Applicants must have a faculty member willing to sponsor a project in the same year.
|University Scholarship||Applicant must be a current CSUN student; Applicant must complete 24 units by Spring with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.25||7,500|
- Some off-campus scholarships can be accessed through Education USA, eduPASS, College Board, InternationalScholarships.com, etc.
- International students with F-1 or J-1 visas are eligible for the work-study program. Under this program, students can work on-campus or off-campus for 20 hours.
- Common on-campus positions for work-study include student assistant positions, teaching assistant positions, or service in the food court, bookstore, and cafeteria.
- Students are allowed to work off-campus only in places affiliated with the university.
California State University - Northridge Alumni Network
Around 360,000 alumni were part of the alumni network of CSUN as of 2018. Around 11,000 students graduate each year from the university.
Some benefits available to the members of the alumni network are as follows:
- The alumni can make use of the services offered by the Career Centre of CSUN for finding employment opportunities after graduation.
- They can also access the SRC and the Oviatt Library on the campus which are temporarily closed due to COVID- 19.
- The Class of 2020 has also been gifted with lifetime memberships of the Alumni Association.
- Some of the notable alumni include:
- Eva Longoria- award-winning actress
- Mohammed Morsi- Fifth President of Egypt
- Scott J. Horowitz- NASA astronaut
- Alyson Hannigan- award-winning actress
- Don Hahn- Golden Globe Award-winning producer
California State University - Northridge Placements
The Career Centre of CSUN offers the students with job search strategies, career exploration, and advertisements. Students can make use of career resources like CareerLink or Handshake to find suitable job opportunities in the U.S. in various fields. Students can also seek career counseling from expert career counselors. Various events like Career Centre Open House, STEM Career Day, job fairs, etc. are conducted by the Career Centre.
- For Spring 2021, the virtual format career fairs will take place and will use the Handshake platform for the same.
- The average salary for California State University Northridge graduates is USD 71,909 as per PayScale.
- As per PayScale, the average salary by field of career is given below:
- Human Resources (HR) Manager: USD 68k
- Project Manager, (Unspecified Type / General): USD 68k
- Mechanical Engineer: USD 75k
- Software Engineer: USD 84k
- Executive Assistant: USD 59k
- Account Manager: USD 64k
- Chief Executive Officer (CEO): USD 196k
Financial Services professionals were paid the highest salary (USD 86,000) annually. This is followed by IT & Software Development professionals with USD 75,000 as per Emolument. The lowest salary is for Logistics, Operations & Purchasing professionals with USD 50,000 annually (by Emolument)
Ques. What are the deadlines for Undergraduate International Admissions at California State University Northridge?
Ans. The application filing period for Fall and Spring Admission is October 1 and August 1 respectively. The deadlines for the Fall semester are May 31 and the Spring semester is October 31.
Ques. What is the cost of living on-campus at California State University Northridge?
Ans. The cost of living on-campus at California State University Northridge for undergraduates is USD 23,386 and graduates are USD 24,924.
Ques. What are the admission requirements for upcoming International Freshmen at CSUN?
Ans. For the admission process, students have to apply at Cal State Apply with a non-refundable fee of USD 70. The admission requirements are official transcripts, proof of English Language Proficiency (TOEFL or other), copy of passport, and Affidavit of Financial Support.
Ques. What are the criteria at CSUN for GMAT/GRE waiver?
Ans. For GMAT/GRE waiver, a student must have the following- Bachelor’s degree with a GPA 3.0- and one-year full-time work experience/professional certification (SHRM, CFA, CPA, PMP)/ MCAT or LSAT scores or Master’s degree with a GPA of 3.2 or more or Terminal degree (MD, Ph.D., JD, DDS, EdD).
Ques. What are the admission requirements for MBA at California State University - Northridge?
Ans. The admission requirements for MBA are English Language Proficiency scores (TOEFL CBT- 213, IELTS- 6.5, PTE – 58), work experience (at least one year), 3.0 GPA in undergraduate or 50 percentile in GMAT (Verbal or Quantitative section), CSU Writing Graduate Assessment requirement by Upper Division Writing Proficiency exam/ 4.0 or higher in GMAT (Analytical Writing Assessment)/ 3.0 or higher in GRE (Analytical Writing section), and MBA Supplemental Application.
Ques. How can I apply for Housing at California State University Northridge?
Ans. To apply for Student Housing students must apply before being accepted to the University from their myNorthridge Portal account.
Ques. What are the deadlines for International Graduate Admissions at CSUN?
Ans. For Fall admission the filing begins on October 1 and the deadline is May 31. The application filing period for Spring is August 1 and the deadline is October 31.
Ques. What are the English Language Proficiency requirements for graduate programs?
Ans. The student can submit either of these test scores as proof of English Language Proficiency: TOEFL iBT- 79, TOEFL PBT- 550, PTE Academic- 58, DET- 105, iTEP Academic- 4.0, EIKEN CSE- 2630(1), Cambridge C1 Advanced English- 180, GTEC CBT- 1200.
Ques. What is the GPA requirement for International Freshman admissions at CSUN?
Ans. A student must have a GPA of 3.0/4.0 or an average grade of ‘B’ within the grades of A-F.
Ques. I am an International Transfer Student. What are the requirements for my admission to CSUN?
Ans. As an International Transfer Student, all the requirements for International Freshman must be met. Moreover, 60 transferable credits, 2.0/4.0 GPA, General Education Mathematics course with grade ‘C’ or better, and proof of English Language Proficiency are required.
FIND A PROGRAM
Application Portal : https://www2.calstate.edu/apply
Early Action Deadlines
Regular Decision Deadlines
|total faculty||full time||part time||graduate assistants|
This was the closest state school to me which made it appealing because I could save money and also attend a decent school. They had the major I wanted which made sense to me. I also liked the idea of a big school but a small program. The school has 40,000 people but my program I see the same faces in most classes.
Course Curriculum :
I really like what I’ve been learning so far. I think my high school was harder, but I’m learning things that are at least interesting to me and I think that means something. I’m not struggling but I’m learning and I think that’s how a school should be.
It was one of the top master's program in California for psychology. Also, the program was one of the few that had advanced statistical analysis classes such as multivariate statistics and structural equation modelling. I also had a working relationship with faculty members in the program. The school was also near home.
Course Curriculum :
The core curriculum was lacking. I would have liked more variety. We were required to take two theory/seminar classes. I was disappointed with the cognitive seminar class, as it related mostly to false memories and not learning or other cognitive processes. I was very satisfied with the statistics classes.
It's close to home, walking distance to many stores, diverse population, great staff, professors, many programs to choose from. Food is offered at campus or many different restaurants close by to choose from. Great website, easy access and can do many things online like registration for the school itself and FAFSA also can book appointments.
Course Curriculum :
The course curriculum is doable. It is a lot and some stuff is hard but it can be done with dedication. I had 3 kids, was pregnant at the time of some classes and even gave birth before graduation, still being full-time I did my work. Most work is done online via canvas and turns in online. The curriculum is doable as long as you are willing to do your part.
I currently go to CSUN as a CTVA (Film/Television) Student and I love the opportunities I get to have as a CSUN CTVA student. Compared to many film schools in SoCal. CSUN is very affordable and many of my professors do work within the Film/TV industry in Los Angeles.
Course Curriculum :
I personally love the course curriculum since it is very relevant to my future career and what I want to do in life. I am a film student so the course curriculum is very relevant to me and what I am learning is very unique to a lot of other courses as well.
The program offered was the best fit for my individual needs. I liked the campus and the environment as well as the faculty and their areas of research. Lastly, the program gave me internships that would allow me to be able to gain experience as well as potentially get a job right out of college.
Course Curriculum :
I enjoy the coursework that I have. It is a full-time program so I am taking 30 units each semester but each course coincides with the other and allows the student to build upon the previous semester. The coursework allows the student to receive a holistic learning experience.
- Book Store
- Super Market
- Shopping Mall
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary