Stanford University Admission 2021-2022: Acceptance Rate, Application Deadlines, MBA and Visa Requirements
For the recent 2020 admissions, the acceptance rate at Stanford University was as low as 4.3% indicating that it is very selective in offering admissions. Students are offered admission for Fall, Spring or Winter sessions. Some courses at Stanford are also available in the Summer for international aspirants. Despite the ongoing pandemic, Stanford saw an overall enrollment of 1,607 students out of 45,227 UG applicants. Admitted freshmen had a median SAT Math score ranging from 720-800 and EBRW ranging from 700-770. Submitted ACT composite scores ranged from 31-35.
Other Important things to keep in mind when applying for Stanford University as an International student are:
- Application Fee Waiver will be granted to any student facing financial hardships.
- ACT/SAT score requirements are not compulsory for first-year and transfer applicants applying to enter Stanford in 2020–21 or 2021–22.
- Since standardized test scores are not compulsory, special attention should be given to the application in terms of Statement of Purpose and Stanford questions.
- All interviews will be conducted online for the 2020-2021 admissions at Stanford.
- The admission decision is usually released within 6- 7 weeks, post-application submission.
- Deadlines, application portal, application fees, and academic requirements vary for each graduate program.
Table of Contents
|Programs||Deadlines (For Autumn entry)||Scores Required|
|M.Sc Computational and Mathematical Engineering||Currently Closed||TOEFL (iBT)- 113
GRE- 151 (Quant), 150 (Verbal)
IELTS not accepted
|M.Sc Computer Science||Currently Closed||TOEFL (iBT)- 89
GRE- 151 (Quant), 150 (Verbal)
|M.Sc Mechanical Engineering||December 1||TOEFL (iBT)- 89
|M.B.A||Round 3: April 6, 2021||TOEFL (iBT)- 100; IELTS- 7.0
|B.A Philosophy||Early Action: November 1
Regular Decision: January 2
|TOEFL (iBT)- 89
|M.Sc. Applied Physics||
|TOEFL-89 (iBT); 575 (PBT)
GRE not required
|MS Statistics||Currently Closed, opens in September||TOEFL: 100 (iBT); 600 (PBT)
|MS in Management Science and Engineering||Currently Closed||TOEFL: 100 (iBT); 600 (PBT)
|MS Civil and Environmental Engineering||Currently Closed||TOEFL: 100 (iBT); 600 (PBT)
GRE not required
An application deadline extension will be granted to students facing hardship due to natural calamities and such. Applicants need to contact the Stanford office.
The following table shows the deadlines for undergraduate students at Stanford. All freshmen applicants are required to submit their admission application by 11:59 p.m. (Pacific time) on the specified deadline.
|Application with Arts Portfolio Deadline||Early Action: October 15
Regular Decision: December 1
|Standard Application Deadline||Early Action: November 1
Regular Decision: January 2
|Decision Released By||Early Action: December 15
Regular Decision: April 1
|Student Reply Date||Early Action: May 1
Regular Decision: May 1
Graduate Application Deadlines at Stanford vary with the program. Early applications will ensure that the student is able to complete the admission process on time and will be able to apply for a visa to study in the USA.
Stanford undergraduate bachelor programs offer more than 65 major fields of study. Out of the total 6,994 UG students at Stanford University, 14% are international students from over 66 countries. Over 1,700 UG and 30 transfer students are admitted every year to the university.
How to Apply: International undergraduate applicants can apply either through the Common Application OR Coalition Application.
Application Fee: 90 USD (Non-refundable)
Academic Requirements for International Students: International undergraduate students must have completed senior secondary school with good academic standing. International students who excel in a curriculum with the below-mentioned subjects in school are well suited for university academics:
- English: four years, with emphasis on writing and literature.
- Mathematics: four years, with emphasis on fundamental mathematical skills such as algebra, trigonometry, plane, solid and analytic geometry.
- History/Social Studies: three or more years.
- Science: three more years of laboratory science including biology, chemistry, and physics
- Foreign Language: three or more years of the same foreign language.
- Standardized Test Scores:
- Applicants must also submit either an ACT or SAT score along with the application. These scores are valid for a period of 5 years. Although there is no minimum score requirement for admissions, the average scores of students for the class profile of 2023 at Stanford are:
- With 78% of students submitting SAT scores, the average scores are: 1440– 1560
- With 61% of students submitting ACT scores, the average scores are: 32– 35
- English Language Proficiency:
|English Test||Minimum Scores Required|
- Completed online admission application form
- Academic transcripts from senior secondary school along with their English translations
- 2 Letter of Recommendation (from a teacher)
- School Report and Counselor Letter of Recommendation
- Applicants must identify recommenders and email addresses.
- 2-3 LORs are required at Stanford.
- ACT or SAT Scores
- English proficiency scores
- Resume: Aspirants must make sure to mention any of their publications in the CV.
Note: Admission requirements for transfer students are the same as for UG admissions. Only the deadlines differ. The courses studied are first matched with that of the university and if found fit, the students can get a transfer to Stanford.
At Stanford, there are 9,390 matriculated students of which 34% are international students enrolled in 90+ graduate fields. Each course has a different requirement and application process.
International students applying for admissions at Stanford University can only apply to one graduate program in an academic year. It is recommended that students make the right choice of program keeping in mind their interests and skills.
How to apply: The applications are filed through the respective school’s website.
Application Fee: 125 USD (for all master programs except MBA)
Academic Requirements for International Students:
- International students must have completed a bachelor's or master's degree from a recognized university or college.
- Proof of standardized exams such as GRE, GMAT, or LSAT is also required. There is no minimum score requirement for graduate study at Stanford, however, students with high scores have much higher chances of admission.
- Stanford only accepts TOEFL scores as proof of English proficiency. IELTS or other tests are not accepted at the university.*
The minimum TOEFL scores required for graduate admission:
|Graduate Program||Minimum Required scores|
|Humanities, Social Sciences, Education||100 (iBT); 600 (PBT)|
|Engineering||89 (iBT); 575 (PBT)|
*It must be noted that graduate business programs do accept other English proficiency test scores such as IELTS or PTE in place of TOEFL.
Supporting Documents: While applying for a graduate program, applicants are required to submit the following as specified by their program:
- Scores of GRE or GMAT exams. GRE scores are not compulsory for 2020-2021 applicants due to COVID-19.
- Concise & well-written SOPs must be included with the graduate application. An SOP for US universities must include:
- Reasons for applying for the proposed program
- Preparation for the field of study
- Research interests
- Future career plans
- Other background information that may aid in the evaluation of admission applications
- 2-3 Letters of recommendation
- Supplemental Form: A few graduate master's programs (mostly engineering) require students to submit the supplemental form that includes other details such as a list of publications websites, etc.
- Interview: This is a requirement for only a few programs such as MBA. After the evaluation of the application, the admission committee might call for an interview.
Stanford University’s assessment of an international degree is based on the national educational system, type of institution attended, and the level of studies completed.
The table below shows the minimum level of study required by international applicants while applying for graduate study at Stanford:
|Country||Minimum Level Required|
|Middle East||Four-year university degree|
|Canada||Three-year bachelor’s degree from Quebec, a four-year bachelor’s degree from other provinces|
|India||Three-year bachelor’s degree and a two-year master’s degree following the three-year bachelor’s degree|
|Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nepal||Bachelor’s degree in engineering or medicine, a master’s degree in all other fields|
|Philippines||Four-year bachelor’s degree|
Below mentioned are some of the top Stanford University master’s programs with their specific admission requirements:
|Admission Requirements||MBA||MS Mechanical Engineering||MA International Policy||MS Computer Science|
|Application Fee (in USD)||275||125||125||125|
|Letters of Recommendation (LOR)||Two||Three||Three||Three|
|English Proficiency||TOEFL (iBT)- 100; IELTS- 7.0||TOEFL (iBT)- 89||TOEFL (iBT)- 100||TOEFL (iBT)- 89|
|Additional Requirements||Two essay questions (One optional short answer question)||Supplemental Form||Writing Sample; Prerequisite coursework*||Supplemental Form|
*Prerequisites for MA International Policy: The MIP program at Stanford University requires university-level introductory courses in microeconomics and macroeconomics as a prerequisite. These courses can be taken either as part of the UG education, at another accredited educational institution, or through an approved online course. In addition, it is strongly recommended that applicants must complete an introductory course in statistics and calculus that may be helpful in preparation for the Research Methods course.
Although there is no need to complete these courses at the time of application, they must be completed prior to the start of classes in late September.
Even though the university does not have any minimum GPA or test scores requirements and does not require any work experience, Stanford MBA applicants have high academic excellence. Therefore it is recommended that the applicants must score well and apply as early as possible to the university.
Mentioned below are the details of the MBA class of 2021 at Stanford University. International students applying for admission can get an idea of the scores, etc. that most of the MBA applicants have.
- Total Applicants: 7,342
- Enrolled Applicants: 417
- International students: 43%
- Work Experience Range: 0-14 years
- Average Work Experience: 4-6 years
- Average GPA: 3.7
- Test Scores:
- Average GMAT Scores: 734
- Average GRE (Verbal): 165
- Average GRE (Quantitative): 165
- TOEFL (iBT): 114
It is therefore clear that even though a Stanford MBA accepts applications from college seniors, recent college graduates, and even those with all levels of work experience, professional experience can be a plus point in your admission application. There are no minimum GPA requirements as well however, a good GPA score is always helpful and so on.
International students at Stanford University are required to obtain and maintain an appropriate student visa to the USA. International students can apply for-
- The F-1 Student Visa for new applicants obtained with an I-20 Certificate of Eligibility issued by Stanford.
- The J-1 Exchange Visitor visa for transfer or exchange students obtained with a DS-2019, issued by Stanford or a sponsoring U.S. agency.
To receive the certificates of eligibility (I-20/DS-2019), international students must:
- Fill the required I-20 or DS-2019 form
- Accept Stanford’s offer of admission
- Provide proof of sufficient financial resources to support at least one academic year at the university
- Provide a copy of passport
Upon receiving all these documents, the university sends the I-20 or DS forms to the students so that they can apply for a student visa to the USA. Applicants would be required to appear for a visa interview with the embassy in their respective home countries. Upon successful completion of the visa process, a stamp is issued on the passport that acts as a visa to the USA.
Ques. Which testing is required for admissions at Stanford University?
Ans. International students are required to provide scores of SAT or ACT for undergraduate admissions while GRE, GMAT, LSAT, etc. are required for graduate admissions at Stanford University. However, ACT/SAT/GRE will not be compulsory for 2020-2021 admissions.
Ques. Do I need to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)?
Ans. Non-native English speakers are required to provide proof of English language proficiency TOEFL scores. It must be noted that although UG students can also provide scores of IELTS as proof of English proficiency, Stanford University does not accept IELTS for graduate admissions.
Ques. Are international students eligible for financial aid at Stanford University?
Ans. Yes. There are various scholarships offered by the university, external foundations, etc. that are available for international students.
Ques. How do I enter my GPA in my admission application form?
Ans. If the school has not provided the scores in GPA, students are required to mention 0.00 in the application. The admission committee at the university will calculate the scores from the transcripts.
Ques. What is the minimum score requirement for an MBA at Stanford University?
Ans. While there is no specified GMAT or GRE scores stated, the admitted students had a GMAT score ranging from 600-790, and a GRE score of 149-165 (Verbal) and 157-170 (Quantitative). Their TOEFL score ranged from 105-120.
Ques. What GPA do I need to get admitted into Stanford?
Ans. While the university looks for high-performing candidates, there are no fixed or minimum GPA requirements. Recently admitted MBA students had an average GPA of 3.7.
Ques. Can I apply for more than one master's program at Stanford?
Ans. No. Students can only apply to a one-degree program per academic year at Stanford. However, there are exceptions in the case of some Ph.D. programs. Students may also apply to one departmental program and one professional school program (law, medicine, or business)
Ques. Can I get an application fee waiver at Stanford University?
Ans. Due to the recent scenarios, Stanford will be granting an application waiver to all eligible students who are in a financial crisis.
Ques. I am reapplying for a graduate program at Stanford, do I need to send a complete application again?
Ans. Yes, all the applicants need to submit the required documents and the non-refundable application fee if reapplying to courses at Stanford.
Ques. Can the admission application to Stanford University make offline?
Ans. No. Stanford University only accepts online admission applications from students.