University of North Carolina: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
University of North Carolina (UNC/UNCA) is a public university in Asheville, North Carolina. The city of Asheville is a bustling place with historical relevance such as the Biltmore Estate, Concert halls by the Rolling Stones Magazine and many more such places. The university was found in the year 1927 in Asheville, North Carolina, USA.
Students can join any of the Sports Club, German Club, Astronomy Club and a number of others. BSc in Management, BSc in Engineering, BA in Women, Gender and Sexuality Studies and a BSc in Computer Science are some of the popular courses available. UNCA offers admission to students from 40 states and 26 countries to study in the USA.
The University of North Carolina ranks
- #8 in National Public Liberal Arts Colleges by US News
- #2 for nationally for making an Impact by The Princeton Review
- Considered as a “Best Buy” University by the Fiske Guide to Colleges in 2018
- The Fiske Guide to Colleges complimented UNCA's 'Environmental Studies Program' as one of the 'most career-oriented Pre-Professional Programs' in 2019.
- #50th amongst Most Innovative Schools in the US by US News and World Report.
- #21 position in Top Performers on Social Mobility list by US News and World Report rankings.
|Type of Institute||Public|
|Percentage of International Students||6.7%|
|Annual Acceptance Rate||82%|
|Tests Scores Accepted||SAT/ ACT/ TOEFL/ IELTS|
University of North Carolina Programs, Campus, and Ranking
University of North Carolina at Asheville offers Undergraduate Major and Minor Programs, Honours Programs, Pre-Professional Programs and Undergraduate Research facility in Computer Science, Engineering, Media, Arts, Social Studies, Cultural Studies, and Management. Here's an overview of the programs
- Students can choose from over 30 major programs.
- Students can pursue either Undergraduate Major and Minor Programs or Undergraduate Research.
- All courses are offered in the English language.
- UNCA Management Program is accredited by AACSB.
The most popular Majors offered at UNC by the number of enrollment are Mechanotrics, Management, Environmental Studies, Psychology, Biology, Health and Wellness Promotion, and English.
- The campus of the University of North Carolina is located in University Heights, Asheville.
- Western North Carolina Sierra Club awarded the University with the "Green University of the Year" title in 2016.
- Here's an overview of the campus-
- Name of campus- UNC Asheville campus has the STEAM Studio, Lookout Observatory, Reuter Center and the Kellogg Center on campus for students to practice, participate and volunteer.
- Number of Programs Offered- 30+
First-year freshmen need to avail on-campus residential facilities by living in any of the following halls- The Woods, Founders Hall, Governors Hall, Governors Village, Mills Hall, Ponder Hall, and The Ridges. Students can stay off-campus as well after the first year. Here's an overview of facilities available-
- Rooms accommodating 4-6 students are available with basic amenities such as Beds, Mattresses, Desks, Dressers, Microwaves, Refrigerators, AC and WiFi.
- Study lounges and Laundry rooms are available in all halls.
- Full-time kitchens and Community Kitchens are available in all halls.
- A Boxed Meal Order facility is availed by The Woods students.
- Students must apply for housing after submitting the enrollment fee of 300 USD.
- Students need to login to their OnePort account and select Housing Portal to complete the application.
- The priority deadline is May 1, 2020.
University of North Carolina at Asheville Application Process
Students who wish to pursue a course at UNCA should apply at the earliest to receive a decision in time. The Early Decision I Deadline is in November and the IInd one is in January. Transfer students must submit the Transfer Recommendation Form for International Students to study in the USA. Here is the procedure-
Application fee: 75 USD (non-refundable)
- International students can apply through the UNC Asheville Application (CFNC) or the Common Application Form.
- Application deadline:
- November 15, 2019 (Early Decision I)
- January 15, 2020 (Early Decision II and Regular Priority non-binding)
- November 15 2019 (Spring Semester)
Admission requirements- Students must submit the following to be eligible for admission-
- Submit High School Transcripts
- Submit the required English Language Eligibility Proof- TOEFL score with a score of 550 (TOEFL PBT)/ 80(TOEFL IBT).
- Minimum GPA required for admission is 2.5
- Students must have a score of 800-880 on the SAT or 21-27 on the ACT composite.
- Students also need to submit their passport, an F1 student visa, and an I-20 packet.
- Students need to submit a 250-word statement or a personal essay.
- Two recommendation letters by a counselor and a teacher should be submitted.
- Students must prove their assets to be at least 32,500 USD.
- An I-94 card should be submitted as well if required.
Cost of Attendance
The table below shows the tuition fee and average cost of attendance of a student studying at University of North Carolina at Asheville:
|Tuition Fee||12,289 USD(per semester)|
|Residence Hall Fee||2,723 USD - 5,300 USD|
|Meal Plan||2,107(per semester)|
|Health Insurance||1,314 USD(per semester)|
|Books and Supplies||1,200 USD|
|Educational & Technology Fees||527 USD|
- Residents of Wood do not require to pay for the meal plan.
Scholarship and Financial Aid
International students at UNCA can avail merit-based and need-based scholarship opportunities to study in the USA. The university offers financial aid in the form of scholarships, loans, and grants. Transfer students with excellent merit and a cumulative GPA of not less than 3.5 would be considered for Transfer Scholarship.
|Type of Scholarship||Pisgarh Scholarship||Weatherhead Scholarships|
|Deadline||After October 1||After October 1|
|Funding for||Tuition and Room & Board for four years||Tuition, room & board, transportation|
|Requirement||Maintained GPA of 3.0 in College; excellent extracurricular achievements||GPA of 3.0|
The University of North Carolina has more than 19,000 alumni who contribute as benefactors and mentors for students. Here's a list of a few-
- Kayla Dunn, Jungle Cruise Skipper at Walt Disney World Company
- Maxwell Olle, Analyst at The Asheville Chamber of Commerce
- Tracy Walker, Entrepreneur at Peaks and Creeks Brewery Company
- Michaela Scilex, Teacher at Venture Academy
- Jacob Secor, Musician at Window Cat
Find a Program
COLLEGE STUDENT REVIEWS
Application Portal :https://admissions.unca.edu/apply
Early Action Deadlines
Regular Decision Deadlines
|total faculty||full time||part time||graduate assistants|
I was attracked by its world rank in liberal arts segment. While going through search for best universities, I found this one best fit for me. The whole admission process was quite tough for me, especially the final interview round. The online application cast was $75.
Course Curriculum :
I had been given a course in which I studied many areas of technology such as multiple programming languages, android development, web designing, data structure, logarithm, OOPS and many other concepts which in total made me techno freak. I had learned many things here.
I heard about this university from one of my relatives. He told me about this university as he did his masters from this university. Under his tutelage I applied here, the application cost was $70. There was multi stage selection procedure here in which they test your personality from head to toe.
Course Curriculum :
I had been given a course curriculum which was way tougher than my expectations. Things which seemed easy for me in mathematics now became a ghost for me, but by the time I overcome all my flaws and got habitual with the pace and advanced education.
I opted for this college because of its top-quality education and worldwide acknowledgement. My academic background had been good throughout the school and I also performed well in my graduation. After working for almost 3.5 years in a software company, i decided to pursue my further career in the management field.
Course Curriculum :
I had been given a course in which I studied many areas of technology such as multiple programming languages, android development, web designing, data structure, logarithm, OOPS, and many other concepts which in total made me a techno freak. I had learned many things here.
I applied to several universities and got approval from this university. I took help from a private consulting agency and it guided me all the way up for my admission. I asked my teacher for recommendations and prepared an essay on my profile. The online application cost was $50.
Course Curriculum :
I had been given a course curriculum that was way tougher than my expectations. Things that seemed easy for me in mathematics now became a ghost for me, but by the time I overcome all my flaws and got habitual with the pace and advanced education.
My father suggested me to opt for this university as one of his friends was a professor at this university. I explored the university online and got attracted to the infrastructure and many other things. I applied to the college via the common app by paying a non-refundable fee of $75.
Course Curriculum :
The computer systems concentration prepares us for graduate studies in computer science and for careers in science and engineering applications, systems programming, and software development, while the information systems concentration prepares us for careers in commercial programming, systems analysis and design, and database management.
- Shopping Mall
- Book Store
- Super Market
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary