Deakin College 2020-2021 Admissions: Entry Requirements, Deadlines, Application Process
Deakin College is a direct pathway program college to Deakin University. Deakin College courses are conducted on three Deakin University campuses in Victoria, Australia: Melbourne Burwood Campus, Geelong Waurn Ponds and Waterfront Campuses. It has various programs such as foundation programs, diplomas and master’s qualification programs. Diploma programs are offered in study areas such as communication, Business, Commerce, Design, Engineering, etc.
The institute has a student population of around 3,000 students hailing from different countries around the world. Most come from Australia, Singapore, Indonesia, Hong Kong, Sri Lanka, Kenya, Malaysia, Thailand and China. The ratio is 60% International students and 40% Australian/Permanent Residents. Education is offered in small class sizes of 30 students and requirements are minimal.
- It has three intake sessions throughout the year known as Trimesters in March, June, and October.
- Student can either apply directly through the online portal or can take the help of an education agent appointed by the college to help with the application procedure.
- Australian/Permanent residents can study part-time. International students must study full-time to meet visa conditions.
- Their Master’s Qualification Program is specially designed for those international students who fail to meet the minimum requirements by a huge margin.
Deakin College COVID-19 Admission Updates
In the wake of the novel corona virus (Covid-19), following are the steps taken by the College:
- The college will continue to operate. However, all classes are moved to an online platform temporarily, and prospective students can apply online. You can study in Australia or in your own country.
- Students have the option to accept the college offer and withdraw later if anything comes up. Students will receive a refund according to the College’s refund policy.
- Students can also withdraw in case they do not like online classes. If students withdraw within 4 weeks of the trimester, no academic penalty will be charged.
|Admission portal||Direct application or agent|
|Application fee||Non-refundable 55 AUD|
|Mode of payment||Telegraphic Transfer, Direct Deposit, Bank Draft, Bank Cheque, Credit Card – MasterCard or Visa|
|Intake sessions||Spring, Summer, Fall|
|Financial aid||Not available|
|Codes||CRICOS Code: 091382E|
Deakin College Admission Deadlines
The College has no deadlines and accepts students on a rolling basis during spring, summer and fall intake sessions. However, students are recommended to start their admission process well before time to ensure a smooth application process and enough time for visa procedures.
Deakin College International Student Admissions
Deakin College accepts international students provided they have completed their application within the deadlines and submitted the additional documents required. As applying to another country can be a tedious task, it is recommended to give at least 6 months to start applying for your college. It must be ensured that students are following the Australian visa and immigration policies as they are subject to change. Students can contact the admissions office for any queries in this regard.
Application Fee: Non-refundable 55 AUD
- Complete application
- Official High School /university Transcripts
- Relevant Test Scores
- Copy of Passport
- Personal essay
- Letters of recommendation
- Immunization history / evidence of vaccinations (optional)
- Foundation: Completion of All India Senior School Certificate at an approved level by Deakin College 10+1 with at least an average of 50%
- Diploma: Completion of All India Senior School Certificate or State Board with at least an average of 58%
- Master’s Qualifying Program: Complete 3 years of post-secondary study qualification which will be evaluated by the Deakin University.
Deakin College at Deakin University,
Burwood Campus 221 Burwood Hwy,
Burwood VIC 3125
Contact No.: (+61) 3 9244 5197
English Proficiency Test Scores for International Students
|Test||Foundation and Diploma Programs
(except Diploma of communication
|Diploma of Communication||Extended Foundation Program|
English Advanced (CAE)
|FCE Level B2||CAE1 Level C1||Contact the University|
|Deakin University English
Language Institute (DUELI)
|EAP 2||EAP 3||EAP 1|
|GCE O-Level||C6||B4||Contact the University|
|HK Form 5||60% in Form 5 English Language||Contact the Deakin University Admissions Office||Contact the University|
|HKDSE||Level 3 HKDSE English||Contact the Deakin University Admissions Office||Contact the University|
|IELTS||Foundation Program (Standard): 5.5 or higher (no band score below 5)
Diploma: 5.5 or higher
(no band score below 5.5)
|6.0 (no band score below 5.5)||5.0 (no band score below 4.5)|
|Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE)||42-49||50-57||Contact the University|
|SPM English||C4||B4||Contact the University|
|TOEFL (Computer Based)||196||213||Contact the University|
|TOEFL (Paper Based)||525||550||Contact the University|
|TOEFL (internet-based)||Foundation program (standard): W52, S15, L14, R5; Diploma: W52, S19, L16, R5||W 65, S19, L10, R10||Contact the University|
|VCE English (any) (Australia)||Unit 3 and 4: study score in any English of minimum 20||Unit 3 and 4: study score in any English of minimum 25||Contact the University|
|International Baccalaureate Diploma||Grade 4 in English||Grade 5 in English||Contact the University|
|Duolingo English Test||85||95||75|
Visa Process for International Students
- International Students generally apply for the Student Visa (Subclass 500) which is to be applied online.
- Once the students are accepted in the University, the Student will then receive a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE).
- Following are the documents that will be required to apply for your student visa:
- Completed Australian Student Visa Application Form (157A)
- Valid passport
- Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE)
- Visa Application Fee
- Evidence of sufficient funds
- English Proficiency Requirements
- Health Requirements
- Overseas Student Health Cover
- Character requirements: criminal record check, police certificate (optional), Character Statutory Declaration Form (optional)
- Four recent passport-sized photographs
- It generally takes 4 weeks to process the application.
- Once accepted, students are required to enter the country up to 90 days before the course commences.
- Students are required to inform the education provider of their resident address within 7 days of arrival.
- If your course is longer than 10 months and finishes at the end of the Australian academic year, the visa will be valid up till 15th March the next year.
- If the course is longer than that, it will be valid up to two months after the completion of your course.
Deakin College Undergraduate Admissions
The College provides for foundation courses and diploma programs with bare-minimum requirements. These courses are of 8 months duration and provide for a direct pathway to Deakin University. They can also provide for a pathway to other institutions, however, admissions cannot be guaranteed.
- Admission portal: Application portal.
- Application fee: Non-refundable 55 AUD
- Admission requirement:
- Complete application
- Official High School Transcripts
- Relevant Test Scores
|India||Year 10 + 1 with an average of minimum 50%||Complete All India Senior School Certificate or the State Board with an aggregated of 58% minimum.|
|Sri Lanka||Complete Year 11
(GCE O-levels: passes 3 subjects with minimum Grade E)
|2 passes in GCE A-levels; 2 passes in Sri Lanka A-levels|
|USA||Successful completion of Grade 11||Successful completion of Grade 12 or equivalent with minimum 1000 on SAT|
Deakin College Graduate Admissions
The Deakin College also provides for Master’s qualification courses which are available only for international students. This program is designed for those international students whose English Requirements do not meet the minimum requirements by a large margin. The courses are of 4 month duration and the students can move to a full postgraduate diploma or masters level course at Deakin University in just four months.
Admission portal: Education Agent
Application fee: Non-refundable 55 AUD
- Complete application
- Official High School Transcripts
- Post-secondary study qualification
- Proof of English Proficiency
- Oversea health insurance
Academic Requirements: Completion of three year post-secondary study qualification (equivalent to post-year 12)
- India/Pakistan–three year qualification post Standard/Class XII
- China–three year qualification post Senior High School Certificate
- Sri Lanka–three year qualification post A levels.
This college has bare minimum requirements, which makes it an easy college to get accepted at. Students will be required to complete the application and submit all the required documents to be considered and evaluated. International students are urged to start the process 8 – 12 months prior to their enrollment for smooth admission process. The students can pay fees by Telegraphic Transfer/Direct Deposit, Bank Draft/Bank Cheque, Credit Card or FEE-HELP (FEE-HELP not available to international students).
Do I need a student visa while you are studying in my home country?
No, students do not require a student visa if you are studying from your home country online. However, you will be required to apply for a visa before the online study begins.
How can I confirm my online enrolment has been completed successfully?
Students can check the Student Portal to confirm their enrolment. Alternatively, students can email the Academic Services team on email@example.com with your full name and Student ID.
Will there be a fee reduction for online study?
The University will not be having a fee reduction in 2020 tuition fee and it will remain the same.
The IELTS test has been cancelled. How can I meet the English language requirements?
Students can appear for the online Deakin English Placement Test. Students can contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Apart from that, the University also accepts IELTS Indicator, TOEFL iBT and Duolingo online tests.
How long does it take to receive an offer from the College?
The College generally takes 24 – 48 hours to receive an offer. However, it may take longer depending on if the application is complete or they require any additional documents.
What is the difference between unofficial and official transcripts?
Unofficial transcripts are the ones that are uploaded on the application or sent to the university by the student. These can be used for evaluation purposes. Official transcripts are submitted directly to the college by the previous institution.