Masters in Statistics in Canada: Top Universities, Course Outline, Cost, Admission Eligibility, Requirements & Job Prospects
Masters (MS) in Statistics in Canada is a course-based, 2-year full-time degree program offered by various top-ranking Canadian Universities. This degree is offered to only those international students who have a strong background in Statistics and Mathematics. An annual amount required to study MS in Statistics at Canadian Universities is approximately 47,000 USD, including all expenses.
Statisticians are involved in understanding aspects of the market, its trends and other areas where data analysis is required. Further, inferences are drawn with the data collected and strategies are devised as per the current market scenario. This newly emerging field of data recorded a growth of 34% in 2014, which is predicted to increase by 2024. It offers the highest paying jobs with over 71,000 USD per annum, making it a competitive option, for aspirants.
MS in Statistics in Canada Course Outline
Since Mathematics plays a dominant role in Statistics, most of the courses offered in Canada in MS Statistics provide dual degrees with Mathematics. Various types of degrees like MA/MASc/MSc are offered across these universities in Statistics and Mathematics. Given below is a list of universities that offer a dual degree in Mathematics and Statistics:
- York University: Offers one year MA in Maths & Statistics.
- University of Waterloo: A research-based MMATH in Statistics is offered.
- University of Windsor: 2 years MSc in Mathematics & Statistics degree course.
- University of Guelph: 1 to 2 years MSc degree in Mathematics & Statistics is provided.
- Brock University: A 2-year MSc in Mathematics & Statistics degree is offered.
- Queen’s University: Both MSc and MASc in Mathematics & Statistics of 2 years is offered by the university.
- Acadia University: A 2-year MSc in Applied Mathematics & Statistics is offered at the university with, a mandatory 8 months of internship.
- McGill University: Both MA and MSc in Mathematics & Statistics is offered at the University. There are options for specializations in Bioinformatics and Computational Science & Engineering that students can opt for.
The following table shows the list of courses offered as part of MS in Statistics in Canada, in sync with Mathematics:
|MS in Statistics Course Outline|
|Topics in Probability & Statistics||Generalized Linear Models|
|Applied Statistics||Non-Linear Regression|
|Bayesian Statistics||Statistical Learning|
|Multivariate Analysis||Statistical Inference|
|Computational Statistics||Theory of Probability I &II|
|Survival Models||Theory of Hypothesis Testing|
Prerequisite Knowledge to Pursue MS in Statistics in Canada
In order to pursue a Masters in Statistics in Canada, applicants must be technically sound, have accurate business acumen and possess strong interpersonal strength to get selected for admission. Other skills required to be successful while studying Masters in Statistics include:
- Statisticians must have sound problem solving and critical thinking skills.
- Expertise in applied and theoretical statistics, including hypothesis testing and summarizing, is a must.
- Be a pro in Mathematics, including calculus, linear algebra, and probability.
- Have knowledge in data mining, data cleaning, and data visualization.
- Proficiency in R and SAS languages can also prove beneficial while pursuing MS in Statistics in Canada.
Why Study Masters in Statistics in Canada?
Students with MS in Statistics are the highest paid in Canada, entry-level salaries starting from 71,000 USD per annum and going up to 100,000 USD, depending upon the level of specialization. Other reasons to opt for MS in Statistics include:
- An expected increase in demand, of approximately 14% for Statisticians in Canada has been projected.
- Around 1,200 jobs are currently lying vacant for students with an MS in Statistics in Canada.
- Highly competitive admissions for international students and thus, a fall in acceptance rate from 5% for the 2018 session was seen. Hence, it is a newly emerging and trending field of study.
- Students with a strong mathematical background can get good opportunities in both the private and government sectors.
Top Universities offering MS in Statistics in Canada
Around 8 universities in Canada offer Masters in Statistics, out of which only 3 are ranked globally while 6 universities rank nationally. The following table shows the rankings university rankings according to MS in Statistics both globally and nationally:
|University Name||QS Universities Global Ranking 2018||Macleans Subject Ranking 2019 (national)|
|University of Toronto||#14||#1|
|University of British Columbia||#31||#2|
|Simon Fraser University||-||#9|
|University of Regina||-||#10|
Cost of Studying Masters in Statistics in Canada
Approximately 46,900 USD is required for one year to study MS in Statistics in Canada for international students. This cost also includes one-time payments which are not required to be paid in the second year of study.
When applying for a Masters in Statistics in Canada, the international applicants will have to spend on the given requirements to be eligible for Masters in Statistics admission.
The given expenses are usually incurred on application fees, standardized or English language tests and requirements of an applicant post-landing in Canada.
Following table is a bifurcation of the estimated costs to be incurred only once by applicants pursuing Masters in Statistics is given below:
|Expenses||Cost (in USD)|
|Visa Application Fee||235|
|Meals||45 (per meal in a day)|
|Travel||25 (per day)|
* Varies with each university.
The annual expenses include tuition fees (which excludes one-time payments in the second year), off-campus living expenses and cost to be incurred on books or other educational supplies while pursuing MS in Statistics in Canada. Following table shows the university wise costs in USD, that are to be incurred on a yearly basis:
|University Name||Tuition Fee||Living Expenses||Books & Material|
|University of Toronto (U of T)||19,600||12,200||1,510|
|University of British Columbia (UBC)||6,800||12,800||830|
|Simon Fraser University (SFU)||22,100||11,400||1,510|
|Western University (UWO)||14,000||12,100||2,270|
|University of Regina (U of R)||19,010||10,800||1,510|
|University of Manitoba (U of M)||8,600||11,400||1,200|
MS in Statistics in Canada Eligibility & Admission Requirements
Applicants willing to apply for admission to Masters in Statistics in Canada must have a 4 years bachelor's degree in Mathematics or Statistics or in a related field of study, from a recognized university. The following section throws light upon eligibility and the requirements for admission to Canadian Universities to pursue MS in Statistics.
Merely fulfilling the requirements does not guarantee an applicant admission to the university they have applied to. The following table shows the minimum eligibility criteria and English Language Proficiency scores like TOEFL or IELTS while applying for MS in Statistics in Canada:
|University||GPA (score/grade)||Number of LORs Required||TOEFL||IELTS|
|University of Toronto||3.4||3||(iBT): 93||7.0|
|University of British Columbia||3.3||3||(iBT): 100||7.5|
|McMaster University||B+||2||(iBT): 92 (CBT): 237 (PBT): 580||6.5|
|Simon Fraser University||3.33/4.33||3||(iBT): 93 (PBT): 580||7.0|
|Western University||78%||2||(iBT): 86 (CBT): 213 (PBT): 550||6.5|
|University of Regina||75%||2||(iBT): 100||7.5|
|Dalhousie University||3.5||2||(iBT): 92||7.0|
|University of Manitoba||3.4||2||(iBT): 86||6.5|
* Note: Transcripts, Statement of Purpose/Intent and Resume/CV are required by all the universities given in the table above, offering Masters in Statistics in Canada.
Students can apply for admission to the above-mentioned universities through the official website of the respective university.
Job Prospects for MS in Statistics Postgraduates in Canada
Currently, 1148 job opportunities are available for postgraduates in Statistics in Canada according to Indeed Canada. With a starting salary of 71,000 USD for students holding MS in Statistics in Canada, it has been projected that salaries could go up to 100,000 USD per annum depending upon the applicant’s level of specialization in Statistics.
The following table shows the job opportunities post-Masters in Statistics in Canada for students:
|Job Profile||Annual Salary (in USD)|
Admissions for international students in MS in Statistics in Canadian Universities is extremely competitive. Students are evaluated on the basis of their reference letters and experience of research. In UBC alone the admissions in MS in Statistics are offered to 15 applicants per year despite receiving more than 300 applications. Thus, international students must not just fulfill the admission requirements but also prove their mettle in the area of research of their interest.