Wilfrid Laurier University, Canada: Ranking, Programs, Application Deadlines, Admission 2021, Fees, Scholarships
Wilfrid Laurier University (WLU or Laurier) is a public university located in Ontario, Canada. It is named after Sir Wilfrid Laurier, the seventh Prime Minister of Canada. The university has two other campuses in Bradford and in Milton. Furthermore, it has its offices in Toronto, Kitchener and even China. More than 20000 students, including 977 international students, are a part of the Laurier family. WLU is one of the fastest growing universities of Canada. The university strives to adopt sustainable practices in all of its nooks and corners; and was awarded a Gold rating by Sustainability Tracking, Assessment and Rating System (STARS).
WCU has also partnered with colleague institutions from over 25 countries for exchange programs. The main aim of Wilfrid Laurier University is to produce engaged and aware citizens who can lead a life of leadership and purpose. Laurier has the largest business degree co-op program in Canada.
Wilfrid Laurier University Rankings
- Wilfrid Laurier University is ranked at #1271 in Best Global Universities and at #32 in Best Global Universities in Canada by U.S. News and World Report 2021.
- The institute has been ranked at #401-500 in QS World University Ranking by Subject for Business and Management Studies in 2021.
|Type of School||Public|
|Number of Campuses||6|
|Student-Faculty ratio||25: 1|
|Total Number of Students Enrolled||Over 20,000|
|Cost of Attendance||33,500 CAD Approximately|
Wilfrid Laurier University Campus
- Two of the largest campuses of WCU are located in Waterloo and Brantford. Furthermore, a Faculty of Social Work exists in Kitchener; and there is a weekend MBA program in Toronto.
- The university has a world-class library with more than a thousand reading spots and 37000 plus electronic journals.
- WCU has more than 270 student groups and clubs with 6000 student participants. Laurier Creative Arts Society, Laurier MUN, the Medieval Students Society, WCU Archaeological Society and WCU Film Society are some of the examples.
- The university offers a range of facilities to its students like childcare services, the Foot Patrol safe-walk program, workshops on transferable teaching skills, volunteering opportunities, counselling and other mental health services, dietician services, and the like.
- The athletic facilities of the university include a football stadium, an Athletic Complex and a multi-purpose field. The Athletic Complex of WCU houses two gyms, two squash courts, an Olympic length (50 m) swimming pool, a rock-climbing wall, aerobics and weight rooms, etcetera.
- Laurier has 22 intramural sports and more than 700 intramural teams. The university has won 11 national championships in the last ten years.
Wilfrid Laurier University Residence
- WLU provides on-campus residence to all students, including international students. All the residence buildings are located on or very near to the college campus so as to foster quick access.
- There are two types of on-campus facilities – dormitory style residences available on the Waterloo campus, and apartment style residences available both on the Brantford and Waterloo campuses.
- One dorm can be shared by two students, whereas, one apartment can be shared by maximum seven students. Facilities like furnished bedrooms/apartments, common community spaces, laundry, and residence learning communities are common to both dormitory-style and apartment-style residences.
- Dormitory-style residences offer limited shared cooking facilities and apartment-style residences have an attached personalized kitchen.
- The Waterloo on-campus residence has 17 buildings that shelter more than 300o students.
- The Brantford campus is equipped with five residence halls offering housing to a large pool of students.
- All students living in on-campus residence of WCU are mandated to purchase a meal plan.
- The estimated cost of residence ranges from CAD 2500 to CAD 4500 (approx) per term, depending upon the type and style of rooms.
- On-campus residence applications are available at Wilfrid Laurier University Residence Portal.
- The Laurier Off-Campus University Students (LOCUS) program supports the first year off-campus student community to get involved with events, mentors and opportunities.
Wilfrid Laurier University Courses
- Wilfrid Laurier University offers more than 100 programs including undergraduate, graduate and doctoral degrees.
- The university offers 15 bachelor’s degree programs including 4 fully online degrees and diplomas and certificates at the undergraduate level.
- At the graduate level, 16 master’s degrees including 3 fully online graduate degrees, 1 doctorate and some certificates and diplomas as well.
- Some of the popular graduate programs are Biochemistry, Business Administration, Criminology, Economics, Ancient Studies, and Computer Science and Computing.
- The Lazaridis School of Business and Economics offers MBA with full-time, full-time+co-op, part-time evenings or alternate weekends or accelerated option and MBA+MFin option.
- The university is home to the largest business degree co-op program in Canada.
Top Program Fees at Wilfrid Laurier University
|Program||Tuition Fee (in CAD)||Deadline|
|Master in Kinesiology||33,888||April 30|
|MS in Computer Science||10,944 per term||July 15|
Wilfrid Laurier University Application Process
International students willing to apply for admission to Wilfrid Laurier University are encouraged to connect with the international admissions officer at the university to understand the application process better.
The application process and requirements for international and domestic students are mostly similar except a few additional requirements which are discussed below in details:
Undergraduate Admissions at Wilfrid Laurier University
Application Portal: Online OUAC and register on LORIS
Application Fee: 70 CAD (non-refundable)
Application Deadlines: The general admission application deadlines are:
Admission Requirements: The following documents must be submitted for undergraduate admissions:
- Academic transcripts
- English Proficiency Testing Results
- Documentation of financial support in form of bank statements or sponsor documents showcasing the availability of required funds.
- Statement of Purpose
- 1-2 Letters of Recommendation
- Copy of ID pages of Passport
- SAT/ACT scores are not required but accepted
Students from India require 5 courses from class 12 and must submit one of the following for admission:
- Higher Secondary Certificate (HSC)
- Higher Secondary School Certificate (HSSC)
- Senior Secondary Certificate
- All India and Delhi Senior School Certificate
- Indian School Certificate Examination
Graduate Admissions at Wilfrid Laurier University
Application Portal: Online LORIS
Application Fee: 75 CAD (non-refundable)
Application Deadlines: Varies from program to program
Admission Requirements: The following requirements must be fulfilled for admission to graduate programs:
- 4-year bachelor’s degree or equivalent from an approved university.
- Academic transcripts of an undergraduate degree and secondary education records.
- English Proficiency Test Scores
- Complete the online applicant background summary
- Statement of Purpose in 300-500 words
- GRE/GMAT scores
- 3 Letters of Recommendations
- Documentation of Financial Support in form of bank statements or sponsor documents showcasing the availability of required funds.
- Copy of ID pages of Passport
English Language Requirements Wilfrid Laurier University
International students whose native language is not English must submit one of the following test scores as proof of English language proficiency:
|Exam||Undergraduate Requirements||Graduate Requirements|
|TOEFL||83, minimum 20 in each section||89, minimum 21 in each section|
|IELTS||6.5, no band less than 6.0||7.0|
Wilfrid Laurier University Scholarships/Financial Aid
- Wilfrid Laurier University offers some scholarships especially to international students, these include Farouk and Dawn Ahamed International Student Scholarship, the Walter Metzger Memorial Bursary Fund, the Students’ Union International Student Awards and the Inspiring Lives Scholarships.
- The details of these scholarships are given below:
- Inspiring Lives Scholarships are given to freshmen who demonstrate leadership qualities that inspire the university.
- Entrance Scholarships are given based on merit and are automatically awarded on the basis of the admission application. The President’s Gold entrance scholarship is one of the prestigious renewable awards valued at 5000 CAD per year in this category.
- New Laurier Scholars Awards instituted from 2021 are valued at 40,000 CAD to be given over 4 years in equal installments, these require a separate application by April 8.
- Students can apply for competitive scholarships by completing an online student profile.
- International students are eligible to apply for part-time on-campus employment on the Waterloo and Brantford campuses.
Wilfrid Laurier University Alumni
Wilfrid Laurier University boasts of an alumni base of more than a hundred thousand people all across the globe. Below are some notable alumni of the WLU .
- John Morris - Olympic gold medalist
- Lance Storm - professional wrestler
- Kristen Gutoskie - actress
- Chris Van Vliet - Canadian TV personality
Wilfrid Laurier University Placements
The Career Center of the university provides assistance for searching internships and placements to its students. It hosts over 800 workshops every year to assist students with writing resumes, cover letters, and learning to network.
The top salaries of graduates and alumni of the university as per Emolument are given below:
|Degree||Average Salary (in CAD)|
|Bachelor of Science||105,000|
|Bachelor of Business Administration||78,000|
|Bachelor of Arts||77,000|
|Master of Arts||65,000|
97.5% of the graduates of the class of 2020 secured jobs or career goals within a year of graduation. The university has 1,000 employers recruiting students every year from the campus. Over 6,300 co-op jobs are posted for students every year by the Career Centre.
Ques. Is it easy to get admission in Wilfrid Laurier University?
Ans. With an acceptance rate of 89% the admission to Wilfrid Laurier University is less competitive.
Ques. What average is required for admission to Wilfrid Laurier University?
Ans. Wilfrid Laurier University requires at least 60% in the required courses and minimum 60% in English.
Ques. Does Wilfrid Laurier University offer campus housing?
Ans. Wilfrid Laurier University has over 17 residential halls and around 3,000 students stay on campus.
Ques. Is Wilfrid Laurier University a good university?
Ans. Wilfrid Laurier University is at 32nd position in Canada among Best Global Universities in the U.S. News and World Report 2021.
Ques. What would be the approximate boarding and lodging cost at Auburn?
Ans. The average cost would be around 15,000 CAD per year.
Ques. What is the SAT score required for admission to Wilfrid Laurier University?
Ans. Wilfrid Laurier University does not require SAT or ACT scores for admission to Wilfrid Laurier University. However, applicants may choose to submit it.
Ques. What are the graduation and retention rates of Wilfrid Laurier University?
Ans. Wilfrid Laurier University has an average graduation rate of 74% and retention rate of 88%.
Ques. What is the average class size at Wilfrid Laurier University?
Ans. Around 90% of classes have fewer than 35 students in undergraduate courses.
Ques. How much time does it take to know about the admission decision?
Ans. Once your complete application reaches Wilfrid Laurier University, it takes 3-4 weeks to know the outcome of the same.
Ques. Can I decline admission?
Ans. Yes, if you want to decline admission you need to inform Wilfrid Laurier University as soon as possible so that the seat can be allocated to another deserving candidate.
FIND A PROGRAM
|total faculty||full time||part time||graduate assistants|
Wilfrid Laurier's BBA degree is an elite program and observes the highest number of applications for the same. I got in with co-operative studies or co-op where after completing according to a university approved schedule, I can seek work in business and most co-op offers pay great from an international student's point of view.
Course Curriculum :
At Wilfrid Laurier, Theortical approach of studies is a thing that doesn't exist in their BBA program. We are pitted against other Canadian Business Schools and even among ourselves in a realistic case-study like competition and it's hosted by WLU each year. The concepts we learn are put to real use in co-ops and these competitions and the price are great cash compensations. This is what makes employers like WLU grads more.
My decision behind making a solid decision was how much reputation the program carried around the country. The program is in the top 100 business programs around the world. When integrated with co-op, it's in the leagues of successful business programs such as UBC's UoT's BCOM and BBA programs. The program also wasn't sucking my pockets dry in one go either. It was also one of the top choices I had apart from UoGuelph and Mcmaster
Course Curriculum :
The syllabus is in-sync with all the credit required to work for professional designations such as CPA or CFA or CHRP. Based on hint of economics, human resources, business, finance, marketing and accounting for the first 4 out of 8 terms. An array of electives such as theater, sociology etc are abundantly available. Electives are essentially courses meant to loosen up students from the pressure of purely major based courses. Atleast 11.0 credits in various business courses are required throughout the degree. The academics are based on the latest material available in regards to business
WLU is renowned for its economics programs. Lazaridis Business School is one of the best b-schools in the world. I had a couple of seniors at WLU, and they always told me how amazing the university and the program was. The doors it opened for them once they graduated were jaw-dropping. It's also a tough program to get in and do better in generally.
Course Curriculum :
Initial courses are all introductory courses related to micro and macro economics with accounting and a overall view of business overall since business and economics run hand in hand. Courses run in progression with other business students at the university in different programs. Accounting and economics are calculation and formula intensive courses. Relevant for sure
"I regret not opting for co-op now since that can really highlight a potential employee. I have always performed well both socially and academically and done well with my part-time work opportunities along with an experience of exploring Canada's most beautiful places so it's an unparralled experience "
I chose WLU based on it's wide spread community and culture along with the presence of one of the country's best business schools. It's known for it's ability to provide students with an all-rounded personality and the school has produced some of the most successful in the field. It holds value in the eyes of the employers in a country like Canada.
Course Curriculum :
If a student is not so sure about their liking in a particular field in Business, this program helps them choose by putting them into a scenario where they study each one of them and make a calculated decision like i did. Expect the curriculum to be demanding but also the matter which employers need today in their respective field.
"I would define my overall experience as eye-opening since I finally got around to figure what field I really wanted to work in and was so oblivious so as to what employers look for in a potential candidate. My first year at WLU taught me how to be self-sufficient in and outside of my professional life. In terms of my social life, I have a great set of friends from my home country with similar goals in life and we often hangout and explore places together so I believe it was a great decision to pursue my studies in Canada."
WLU has one of the oldest running business programs in Canada. It's bachelors program offers great work placements and is known to be one of the most competitive programs in Canada. Lazaridis School of Business is one of the most prestigious business schools in Canada. Employers from leading multinationals also keep a keen eye on business grads from WLU and it also offers great co-op opportunities.
Course Curriculum :
WLU offers a very well rounded business program so I got to study each part of business which was very exciting and eye opening so as to show me what i wanted to do in business itself. My core interest being finance, I will get to choose courses according to my favourite field from now on which keep unneccesary burden at bay and lets me focus on my field itself. so in the beginning, I thought that the syllabus was not relevant due to all the fields being taught to us together but i soon found out that was not the case and it was necessary. So,in my view, the academics at WLU are on point.
- Bus Station
- Book Store
- Shopping Mall
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary