Master of Science [M.Sc] (Computer Science)
Field of Study
International Student Tution
- Master of Computer Science at York University is offered as a 2-year or 5-term teaching program.
- This course is offered as both full-time (5 terms) and part-time (10 terms) basis.
- This program consists of coursework and research, end up in the presentation of a thesis.
- The program also offers a specialization in Artificial Intelligence. Note that this specialization is a project-based, non-funded program aimed to prepare students to apply AI methods in the workplace.
- Specializations include Artificial Intelligence, Big Data, Biomedical Engineering, Computer Graphics, Computer Security, Computer Vision, Data Science, Human-Centered Computing, Information Systems, Software Engineering, Theory of Computation.
- Candidates for the MSc degree must complete five graduate three-credit courses and successfully defend a Master’s thesis if they wish to follow the Thesis Option or seven graduate three-credit courses and a project if they prefer the project option.
- This Course offers internship opportunities for students interested in an industrial career but also prepares students for a doctoral degree program.
- With 63 research faculty and over 200 graduate students and research staff, graduate programs foster a dynamic research environment.
- The student to the teacher for this particular course is 4:1, which helps increase interaction between professors and students.
- Students may have job opportunities as Software Developers, Web Developers, etc with an average salary of around 45,000 USD per year.
|Degree Type Offered||Master|
|Fees||$ 31106 for 2 years|
|Delivery Type||full time|
|Admission Intake||fall (Deadline - Feb 15)|
Eligibility & Entry Requirement
- Students must be qualified with a Bachelor-honors degree in Computer Science or related field from a recognized institution.
- The related fields include a UG degree in Artificial Intelligence, Big Data, Biomedical Engineering, Computer Graphics, Computer Security, Computer Vision, Data Science, Human-Centered Computing, and computer information systems.
- In addition, those admitted must have completed the equivalent of a senior-level course in the area of theoretical computer science.
- Minimum grade point ‘B+’ (75% – 79%) is required to enroll in this program.
Work Experience Eligibility:
- Applicants with 3-year degrees may be considered for admission with one year of work experience
- Students do not require any kind of work experience for this program.
- Immigration regulations are legislated by the Federal Government of Canada and are subject to change at any time without notice.
- All costs associated with program requirements are the responsibility of the student.
- It is recommended that each student have access to a personal computer or laptop.
Indian Student Eligibility:
Indian students are eligible to apply if they meet one of the following eligibility criteria:
- Completed a 4-year UG degree with first class in a relevant field from a recognized institution.
- Or, completed a master's degree with first-class in a relevant field from a recognized institution.
- Or, completed a 3-year UG degree with a first-class from a NAAC-accredited institution.
Submission of GRE scores is compulsory for this program, however, it is recommended to submit a minimum 300+ score for a better chance of admission.
The above requirements are the minimum requirements and do not guarantee admission. The admissions committee will consider all evidence in the file and decide. To know more about the requirem….Read More
Required Document List
Following Documents are required to attend this program:
- Online application form: Students have to submit an online application form at the official website.
- CV/Resume: Outline of academic achievements and/or awards, publications, relevant work, and/or volunteer experience.
- Statement of Purpose: An essay or other written statement written by the student.
- Academic Documents: Submit copies of official transcripts from post-secondary institutions attended.
- Three letters of recommendation: Referees (Teachers, guidance counselors, or Professors) should comment on academics and that references should submit along with the application system.
- Sample of written work: Student has to write something interesting as their sample essay in the application form.
- Statement of Intent: Reasons or intentions for pursuing studies in this program, including a description of prior experience.
- ELP Scores: Students have to submit their English language proficiency scores like IELTS, TOEFL, or other test scores.
- Proof that students have enough money to support themselves during their stay in Canada.
- Letters of reference or any other documents the visa office tell students to bring.
|fall||Feb 15, 2021|
Closed for application.
Fees & Funding
Tution & Application Fees
|Year||Year 1||Year 2|
|Head||Avg Cost Per Year|
Academy Ranking of World Universities 2020
Ranked #201 / 500
Computer Science and Engineering [ International ]
Scholarship Grants & Financial Aids
|Name||Amount||International Students Eligible||Application Deadline|
|Ontario Graduate Scholarship||$ 10847||Yes||N/A|
|VueVille Future Technology Scholarship||$ 1000||Yes||Sep 30, 2020|
|Paul Foundation scholarships||$ 20174||Yes||N/A|
|FINCAD Women in Finance Scholarship||$ 20000||Yes||N/A|
VISA & Work Study
- A Student VISA authorizes students to study in Canada legally.
- International students will receive their Study Permits in the form of a paper document which will usually be attached to the passport at the Canadian port of entry.
- Temporary Resident Visas (TRVs), commonly called Entry Visas, are to be obtained by foreign nationals who require visas to enter Canada, while Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) allows foreign nationals from visa-exempted countries to enter Canada without a visa.
- The student must have a valid study permit for the period of employment.
- He/She should meet the specific skills and experience requirements set by the sponsoring department.
- All students are permitted to accept one Work-Study position only per program period.
- Non-degree students (i.e. visiting students, students on a LOP) are not eligible for Work-Study.
- Students are not eligible to hold a work-study position in the same term in which they are holding an NSERC Undergraduate Student Research Award (or equivalent).
- Hourly rates vary with the nature of the job, the scope of responsibilities and work experience.
- The salary range will be indicated on the job posting and/or students will be advised by the employer during the interview.
- Work/study students are paid by their hiring department through York's payroll system.
- Student Financial Services does not pay students and cannot make adjustments to pay.
Career and Placement after Course
The opportunities available after completing this program are:
- Application Architect
- Software Engineer
- Computer Network Architect
- Data Architect
- UX Designer
- Mobile Application Developer
I choose this university because it comes among the most valuable universities in Canada. Also, the university is highly reputed. These were the reasons why I opted for this university. I applied through the online application portal and also paid an application fee of around $110.
Course Curriculum :
In our program, the complementary courses are in the sciences (e.g., biology, chemistry, physics). We also add a study abroad component to our learning, with culture and language courses of our exchange destination. After the second year, we also get the opportunity of a co-op program that provides us with valuable experience, giving us an early start with our career. As part of the curriculm, we study Data Structures, Software Design, Database Systems, Data Mining, and User Interfaces.
I found this college online when I was searching for colleges in Canada, I was impressed by the reviews and infrastructure of the college and decided to go further with the application process by applying through the online portal and paying the application fee of $115. My GPA of 8.5 also helped me in getting into this university.
Course Curriculum :
Our program covers a wide variety of topics within Computer Science, including artificial intelligence, computer graphics, computer vision, human-centered computing, information systems, networks, the theory of computation, and virtual reality. Also, they offer internship opportunities for us and at the same time prepare us for a doctoral degree program.