Bachelor (Interior Design)
Field of Study
International Student Tution
- Algonquin College offers a Bachelor in Interior Design honours degree program with a duration of 4 years (8 semesters).
- This course is offered on a full-time basis.
- This four-year Interior Design degree prepares students to pursue a professional career related to the design of the built environment.
- Students enriched with an additional focus on international perspectives in interior design.
- The program contains a strong experiential component that includes simulated studio experiences, community-based design initiatives.
- The student learns to consider ecological, economic, and social aspects to analyze and design healthy living environments.
- To complete this degree, the student must complete one mandatory paid co-op work term where students gain valuable work experience and network within the industry.
- In this program, it is a 14-week co-op work term.
- In the 4th year, students have the opportunity to specialize in an area of interest specific to the profession and are required to complete an applied research paper.
- This program is well-suited for students who:
- are curious about the space in which they live, work, and play.
- want to combine aesthetics, technology and human need into a highly-marketable career choice.
- enjoy using creative, strategic and critical thinking to solve problems.
- are interested in examining sustainable and global design issues.
- enjoy a collaborative and innovative environment for learning.
- This program graduates interior designers equipped to fulfill leadership roles within the profession on a national and international level.
- Starting placement salary is dependent on during the hiring process.
|Degree Type Offered||Bachelor|
|Fees||$ 56770 for 4 years|
|Delivery Type||full time|
|Admission Intake||fall (Deadline - Feb 1)|
Eligibility & Entry Requirement
- A minimum of six Grade 12 (4U - University) or (4M - University/College) courses from the Ontario Secondary School Diploma and a minimum overall average of 70% is required or equivalent.
- A minimum average of 65% is required in both the Mathematics and English prerequisite courses.
- Applicants must have completed at least one OAC or (U - University) Mathematics and English Course.
- Students must be qualified in IELTS or TOEFL to get admission in this program.
Indian Student Eligibility:
- The student has graduated from senior secondary school or equivalent (those applying for a postgraduate program must have graduated from a university or college).
- Minimum four major subjects in 12th Grade, including English and Mathematics with an average of 70% and no course less than 65%.
- Students are required to submit documentation of an entry immunization record, police records check including vulnerable sector, and Level C CPR.
- Applicants applying to the Bachelor of Interior Design program must submit a portfolio of original work showing evidence of creative and technical ability and including an assessment and short written statement.
- Mature student applicants who have not achieved the Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) or it's equivalent and who are at least 19 years of age on or before the graduation of the program in which they intend to enroll.
- Mature students should have demonstrated academic abilities equivalent to those of Ontario high school graduates, verified by successful completion of courses at the postsecondary level.
- Applicants with diplomas or courses from post-secondary institutions recognized by the Ministry of Training, Colleges, and Universities.
- Cooperative education (Co-op) allows students to integrate their classroom learning with real-world experience through paid work terms.
- Co-op work terms are typically 14 weeks in duration and are completed during a term when students are not taking courses.
- International students enrolled in a co-op program are required by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) to have a valid co-op work permit prior to beginning their work term.
Required Document List
Required Documents are:
- Transcript: Students must submit the official marks statements or transcripts that are provided by the college.
- Test Results: Provide proof of English proficiency, if English is not the first language in student country, as proof of IELTS/TOEFL result scores is to be submitted.
- Certificates: One of the following certificates with a minimum grade of 65 or above in required program subjects:
- Higher Secondary Certificate (HSC)
- The Senior School Certificate
- The Pre-University Examination Certificate
- The Intermediate Examination Certificate
|fall||Feb 1, 2020|
Fees & Funding
Tution & Application Fees
|Semesters||Semester 1||Semester 2||Semester 3||Semester 4||Semester 5||Semester 6||Semester 7||Semester 8|
|International Student Premium||$3657||$3657||$3657||$3657||$3657||$3657||$3657||$3657|
Amounts include tuition fees, program-specific lab and material fees, applicable eText fees, Students` Association fees, and compulsory ancillary fees. Books and supplies cost approximately $3,000 in the first year, which includes a $400 toolkit.
|Head||Avg Cost Per Year|
|Living Expenses||$ 13095|
Scholarship Grants & Financial Aids
|Name||Amount||International Students Eligible||Application Deadline|
|Go Clean Scholarship||$ 3500||Yes||Dec 31, 2020|
|(ISC)² Women’s Cybersecurity Scholarships||Variable||Yes||Feb 19, 2021|
|Collegedunia $150 Scholarship Program||$ 150||Yes||N/A|
|Jared J. Davis Grant||$ 1000||Yes||N/A|
VISA & Work Study
- International Students will need to apply for a valid Student VISA before entering Canada.
- A student visa is an immigration document that allows students to live and study in Canada.
- The student must have a student visa to enroll in any degree, program, or course that takes more than 6 months to complete.
- Whether students also need an Entry Visa depends on their country of citizenship.
- The Temporary Resident Visa (Entry Visa) is a stamp placed on their passport that allows them to enter Canada.
- In most cases, students Entry Visa will have the same expiry date as their Student VISA.
- A student VISA is usually valid for the length of the student’s study program, plus an extra 90 days.
- The students need these documents to apply for a study permit:
- Proof of acceptance i.e The offer letter that the student received from the university.
- Proof of identity
- Proof of financial support i.e Documents showing the financial status.
- Students are allowed to work a maximum of 24 hours per week during the academic year.
- Students are allowed to work 35 hours per week during the summer period.
Career and Placement after Course
Graduates may find employment in:
- Interior Design offices
- Architectural Firms
- Government planning and facilities management offices
- Healthcare Environments
- Educational environments and etc.
Since I wanted to do graduation in interior designing and after hearing all good about thus college, I got motivated to pursue my studies from this college only. I submitted my application through the online portal of the university, I also paid an amount of $95 as the application fee.
Course Curriculum :
This four-year Interior Design degree prepares students to pursue a professional career related to the design of the built environment. The curriculum focuses on ecology, economic, and social aspects to analyze and design healthy living environments. To get the degree, we must complete one mandatory paid co-op work term where we gain valuable work experience and network within the industry.
I wanted to make my career in the field of interior design. Thus I applied to the various colleges and universities that offer the interior designing course in the bachelor's degree. My application form was accepted in two colleges. But I took admission at Algonquin College as it was cost-efficient. I applied to the college through a common application form that cost me $95.
Course Curriculum :
This two-year course will help me to develop my creativity and artistic flair in commercial and residential interiors. I will be developing creativity through hands-on projects using modern digital techniques as well as traditional skills. After completing this course I will be better at handling the businesses. And will be able to improve the residential and commercial spaces to enhance the user's experience.