Algonquin College 2020-2021 Admissions: Entry Requirements, Deadlines, Application Process
Algonquin College located in Ottawa, Ontario is a public institution established in 1967. The College offers more than 340 degree programs that include 122 college certificates, 93 Ontario College Diplomas, 41 Ontario College Certificates, 52 Ontario College Graduate Certificates, 10 bachelor’s degrees and 6 collaborative degrees.
Seeking admission at Algonquin College is a competitive process. The college has a total full-time population of 19,957 students and 25,762 continuing education registrants. More than 4,000 international students enroll in various programs representing over 130 countries.
Some points to be kept in mind while applying to the college are as follows:
- Algonquin College accepts applications for the fall and winter semesters.
- Applications received before February 1 will be given equal consideration while those received after the deadline will be accepted on a first-come-first basis depending on seats available.
- Some applicants may require a writing assessment for admission.
- Applicants must be at least 19 years of age to apply for undergraduate programs.
- Programs that receive excess applications over the available spaces by February 1 are considered competitive programs.
- The College offers a number of competitive programs such as Aircraft Maintenance Technician, Applied Museum Studies, Community and Justice Services, etc.
- Applicants are ranked on the basis of assessment scores and subject grades for admission to competitive programs.
- The first admission choice of 85% of the applicants was Algonquin College.
|Application Portal||Online Portal|
|Application Fee||95 CAD|
|Academic Calendar||Semester based|
|Mode of Payment||Master Card/ Debit or Credit Card|
|Financial Aid||Scholarships available|
Algonquin College Admission Deadlines
The intake seasons for accepting applications for admissions at Algonquin College are winter, fall and spring. The candidates who apply by February 1 for the Fall and Winter term will receive equal consideration.
Algonquin College International Admissions
Algonquin College accepts applications from international applicants given that they have completed their high school/secondary education. Additional requirements are also to be met by the international applicants applying for admission to study in Canada. The admission process is otherwise similar for both the domestic and international applicants.
Application Portal: College Application
Application Fee: 95 CAD
Admission Requirements: International applicants must satisfy the following requirements for admission to Algonquin College:
- Official high school/ college transcripts
- Proof of subject specific requirements
- Proof of English language proficiency
- Copy of Passport
- Financial Statement
- Country-specific requirements
Entry requirements for students from some countries are given in the table below:
|Country-wise Requirements||India||Nepal||Bangladesh||Myanmar||Sri Lanka|
|Undergraduate||High School Certificates and minimum IELTS score 6.5||High School Transcripts and TOEFL score of 88/IELTS 6.5/CAEL 70||High School Certificate with a minimum of 70% and TOEFL score of 88/IELTS 6.5/CAEL 70||High School Certificate with a minimum of 70% and TOEFL score of 88/IELTS 6.5/CAEL 70||General Certificate of Education at Advanced Level, National Diploma with minimum of 70% and TOEFL Score of 88/IELTS 6.5/CAEL 70|
|Graduate||Bachelor’s degree and minimum score of IELTS being 6.5||Degree/ diploma transcripts and TOEFL score of 88/IELTS 6.5/CAEL 70||Bachelor’s degree with first or second division and TOEFL Score of 88/IELTS 6.5/CAEL 70||Bachelor’s degree and TOEFL score of 88/IELTS 6.5/CAEL 70||Bachelor’s degree and TOEFL score of 88/IELTS 6.5/CAEL 70|
English Language Proficiency Requirements
- International applicants are required to submit the proof of their English Proficiency to be eligible for admissions to the college. The minimum score requirement for admission are as follows:
Visa Process for International Students
- It is necessary for all the international applicants to complete visa requirements from their respective home countries.
- To study in Canada, the students are required to have a study permit if the length of study program is more than 90 days.
- Applicants for the study permit from outside Canada need to apply online and when the application is approved, then they are required to provide the evidence for essential travel purposes.
- The following documents are required to apply for a study permit:
- Acceptance letter
- Valid passport
- Passport size photograph
- Proof of finances
- Letter of intention stating motive to study in Canada
Students from China, India, Philippines and Vietnam can also apply for Student Direct Stream (SDS) through which students can receive a study permit within 20 days. There are some additional documents required to apply for Student Direct Stream (SDS) which include:
- Proof of payment of first year tuition fee
- Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) of 10,000 CAD
- Medical examination report
- Certificate of police verification
However, due to the COVID-19 spread, most visa applicants are not able to travel due to the restrictions. Visa applications that are given priority belong to the Canadian residents, vulnerable people or those who perform essential services.
Algonquin College Undergraduate Admissions
Algonquin College offers more than 340 degree programs in a variety of disciplines such as Business, Arts and Design, Engineering, Architecture, Management, Computers and Technology, Health Sciences, Sports, Tourism, Language and many more.
Where to Apply: ontariocolleges.ca
Application Fee: 95 CAD
Admission Requirements: Applicants are required to submit the following to be eligible for admission at Algonquin College:
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) or equivalent.
- Subject requirements depending on the choice of program.
- Official high school transcripts with proof of subject specific requirements.
- Must be at least 19 years of age.
- English Proficiency Test Scores
Algonquin College Graduate Admissions
Algonquin College offers 52 Ontario College Graduate Certificates. For seeking admission to any program, applicants must have an undergraduate level qualification. Subject requirements for admission may vary from program to program.
Where to Apply: Online Application
Application Fee: 95 CAD
Admission Requirements: The basic requirements for admission to graduate certificate programs at Algonquin College are as follows:
- Ontario College Diploma, Ontario College Advanced Diploma, Degree or equivalent in relevant fields.
- Official academic transcripts
- Proof of English language proficiency
- Work Experience
Here are specific academic requirements that are required for admission to various graduate programs:
|Program Requirements||Accounting and Financial Practice||International Business Management||Marketing Management||Marketing Research and Business Intelligence||Building Automation System Operations|
|Duration||42 weeks||1 year||1 year||40 weeks||1 year|
|Area of Interest||Business||Business||Business||Business||Engineering and Architecture|
|Academic Qualification||Ontario College Diploma, Ontario College Advanced Diploma, Degree or equivalent.||Ontario College Diploma, Ontario College Advanced Diploma, Degree or equivalent with a foundation in marketing.||Ontario College Diploma, Ontario College Advanced Diploma, Degree or equivalent with a foundation in marketing such as a postsecondary course.||Ontario College Advanced Diploma, Degree or equivalent with speciality in sociology, politics, history, communications, economics, law and engineering.||Ontario College Diploma, Ontario College Advanced Diploma or Degree or equivalent in an electrical, instrumentation or mechanical-related field.|
|English Test Scores||IELTS: 6.5
|Work Experience||Not required||Required, some business related experience||Required, some business related experience||Not required||Required, 3 years of experience in the electrical or mechanical field.|
Students can keep a track of the status of their application using the Algonquin College Student Information System (ACSIS). All important updates are sent to students via email. The College will send an acknowledgement email to applicants once the application is received and share a Student Number. If students require an assessment, students will receive an invitation via email. Students must go through the offer letter carefully and follow the steps mentioned on it.