Emily Carr University of Art & Design: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
Emily Carr University was founded in the year 1927 and is one of the oldest post-secondary institutions in British Columbia. With the total full-time student population of 1,869, the university is home to 471 international students from 51 countries. Emily Carr University specializes in imparting education and research opportunities in the creative fields which is important for economic and cultural growth. They keep their programs, degrees, and projects relevant and responsive to the dynamic and diverse interests of the students. The university merges research, studio practice, and theory in an interdisciplinary environment.
Why choose Emily Carr University of Art and Design?
- LEED Gold certification is achieved by the new campus of ECU
- QS World University ranking by subject – among one of the 26 universities
- One of the oldest post-secondary institutions in British Columbia
- Webometrics ranked ECUAD 78th in Canada
Why ECUAD stand out?
- Canada’s first purpose-based institution of Arts + Design
- 3 Canada Research Chairs have studios and labs in ECU
- 104 research partners collaborated with ECU from industry and community
- It offers a special teen program for students of age 14-18
- The institute has a student satisfaction rate of 92%
Emily Carr University of Art and Design Rankings
- Emily Carr University was ranked among the top Canadian Art dan Design spot in international ranking by QS World University Ranking.
- The university was ranked among the top 26 Canadian Universities by the QS World University ranking by subject.
- The Art and Design subject of Emily Carr is ranked 40th by the QS World University ranking 2020 list
Emily Carr University of Art and Design Highlights
|Type of University||Public|
|Total Number of Students||1869|
|Number of Undergraduate Students||1828|
|Number of Graduate Students||55|
|International Students Intake||471|
|Educational Cost per year (Undergraduate International students)||$20,539|
|Living Cost per year (Undergraduate International students)||$16,728|
|Language for Courses||English|
|Test Scores Accepted||TOEFL, IELTS, CAEL, CAE, CPE, PTE, MELAB|
Campus at Emily Carr University of Art and Design
- Emily Carr University is in Vancouver City, Canada.
- The university established its new state-of-the-art campus in Great Northern Way.
- Its campus is equipped with public and student amenities including a library, shops and galleries, studios, lecture halls, technical facilities, and Aboriginal Gathering places.
- The campus has a lot to offer from the locker room for students to rental spaces on-campus for events to on-campus food service.
- The LEED Gold-certified building offers space for events and film shootings.
- The Reliance Theatre at Emily Carr remains open for free public events and cultural learnings.
Emily Carr offers off-campus housing to the students. It includes private rentals, homestays, shared rentals, apartments, hostels, and temporary housing. The Student Services’ housing assistant helps the students in providing all information and resources related to off-campus housing.
Emily Carr University of Art and Design Programs
- Emily Carr offers eleven undergraduate, two graduate degree programs, and six certificate courses.
- It offers a joint-program- Master of Digital Media.
- All the academic programs are offered in four faculties which are:
- Faculty of Culture + Community
- Ian Gillespie Faculty of Design + Dynamic Media
- Jake Kerr Faculty of Graduate Studies
- Audain Faculty of Art
- Graduate Degree
- Undergraduate Degrees
- Certificate Programs
- Teen Programs
- Specialty Programs
- Individual Courses + Workshops
Specialty program offered by the institute are:
- Artist-in-Residence programs
- Undergrad Co-Op Education
- Undergraduate Student Exchange.
Emily Carr University of Art and Design Application Process
- Application Portal: EducationPlannerBC Application Service. And Slideroom.com
- Application Fees: EducationPlannerBC Application Service: 100 CAD (for the graduate program) and 70 CAD (for the undergraduate program)
- Supporting Documents: Official academic transcript, portfolio
- Application Deadlines
For Undergraduate Applicants
- Application closes: January 15
- Application closes: October 15
For Graduate Applicants
Fall 2020 and Summer 2020 Intake
- Application closes: January 15
Student Class Profile
- Total Undergraduate and Graduate and Enrollment: 1,869
- Percentage of International students: 25%
English proficiency test scores
English Language Proficiency Scores needs to be submitted in case the native language is not English:
|Test||Scores For Undergraduate Programs||Scores For Graduate Programs|
|TOEFL||84 or higher||90 or higher|
|IELTS||6.5 or higher||7.0 or higher|
|PTE||56 or higher||66 or higher|
Emily Carr University of Art and Design Cost of Attendance
|Annual Budget Academic Year (2019-2020) USD||Domestic||International|
|Tuition (Student Union, Learning Access Fees, BS Federation of Student Fees)||2,820||10,620|
MFA and M.DES
|Total cost for an Academic year (two-semesters) in USD||MFA Full residency||MDES Interdisciplinary MDES Interaction|
Financial Aid for International Students
- Emily Carr offers an Entrance Scholarship to local and international students. There are several Entrance Scholarships available for international students.
- CIBC Awards for Excellence Scholarship: This scholarship is worth 2,500 USD and candidates do not have to apply for it separately as they get qualified immediately when they apply for admission.
- Emily Carr University Entrance Scholarship for BC High School and International Students: This scholarship is worth 2000USD- 5000 CAD. Selection is made based on the candidate’s academic and artistic merit.
- Renne Van Halm and Pietro Widmer Entrance Scholarship: This scholarship is worth 1000USD and candidates are selected based on their academic performance and artistic merit.
- International students seeking admission in Canadian universities can also look for work-study options in Canada and scholarships for graduate international students.
Alumni of Emily Carr remains in touch with the university through the Alumni Association and the Alumni Relation Office. The university offers several benefits to its alumni that include career development program, insurance program, alumni membership, the invitation to alumni events, and more.
Some Notable Alumni: Douglas Coupland: Novelist, Screenwriter; Neko Case: Guitarist, Songwriter; Ian Tyson: Record producer, songwriter; Terence Koh: Artist
QS World University
I went to this college mainly because of the reputation it had for the arts. I wanted a school that would not only teach me practical art techniques but also processes that would help me make it in business. This school offered this alongside many opportunities with companies.
Course Curriculum :
The course curriculum is interesting starting with a foundation year before entering your degree. The foundation year allows exploration but is also directionless and vague. The actual degrees are rather high quality in education however, I found that people stay an extra year just to learn more.