Lakehead University - Thunder Bay: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Fees & Scholarships
Lakehead University was established in the year 4 June, 1946 and founded by an Order-in-Council of the Province of Ontario. The University is a Public research University with campuses in Thunder Bay and Orillia, Ontario, Canada. Lakehead University has been recognised by the Times higher Education as one of the top Universities in the year 2020. Also, in the year 2021, The Times Higher education has ranked LU in the category 601-800.
The Thunder Bay campus is its main campus and the 2nd campus i.e., the Orillia campus is the LU celebrating it’s 10-year anniversary. Initially, the Thunder Bay Campus was spread over a land of 32 hectares in South-West Port Arthur, Ontario. Later in the 1960’s an additional 87-hectare land was purchased. Today, the University’s physical plant was 39 buildings over 116 hectares of property. So, let’s just say the campus is huge.
Lakehead University courses are offered across the subject areas like Medicine, Engineering, Business Administration etc. The Social Science and Humanities department is the largest department of the university with over 30 % enrollment in that department.
Lakehead University has performed really well in the last few years. Here’s a glimpse of the Lakehead University’s Rankings:
- 901-1000th rank by Universities Rankings (ARWU) Shanghai Ranking 2020
- 601-800th University Ranking by Times Higher Education 2021
- 1254th in Global Universities by US News & World Report 2021
- 301-400th in PG Engineering Technology by Times Higher Education 2021
- 601st Clinical Science (International)
|Established||June 4, 1946|
|Courses Offered||offers almost 57 Undergraduate and 30 Graduate and other Doctoral programs|
|Campuses||2 Campuses in Thunder Bay (Main Campus) and Orillia (2nd Campus)|
|Ranking||#1254 Global Universities (US News & World Report2021) (Category:601-800) University Ranking (THE [Times Higher Education]- 2021)|
|Required Language Proficiency||TOEFL or IELTS|
|Scholarship||Available to both International and Native Students|
|Programs||Fees Per Annum|
|M.Sc Mechanical Engineering||$20,250|
|M.Sc Business Management||$17,080|
|B.Sc Computer Science||$17,560|
The University offers a range of courses to choose from, there are undergraduate, postgraduate, doctoral, diploma and other certificate courses available across its campuses in Thunder Bay and Orillia. The mode of delivery of the courses might vary, it might be online and offline depending on the choice of the candidate plus due to the global pandemic there has been a shift in the education platform from on-campus course to online mode.
- LU offers almost 57 undergraduate and 30 graduate and doctoral programs including courses like Medicine, Engineering, Business Administration etc. The available options that spread around various faculties and schools of the University, which are:
- Faculty of Natural Resources Management
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Science and Environmental Studies
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Graduate Studies
- Faculty of Medical School
- Faculty of Engineering
- Faculty of Business Administration
- Faculty of Social Sciences and Humanities
- Faculty of Health and Behavioural Sciences
- Along with the 30 UG and 30 PG courses, LU also offers doctoral, diploma and certificate courses.
The University is spread over 2 campuses, namely:
- Thunder Bay Campus (main)
- Orillia Campus
Let’s see what both of the campuses has to offer:
- The first building was opened in the year 1957
- Thunder Bay is the main campus of Lakehead University, located in the North-western Ontario.
- The Lakehead University opened a campus in Downtown Orillia in the year 2006 with about 100 students in the first semester.
- This academic building represented the first phase in the development of Canada’s first LEED.
Both the campuses are situated in beautiful towns in Canada and offer a magnificent weather and view. The University provides students with opportunities that offer self growth and make a healthy minded Individual.
The University also has a student governing body called LUSU (Lakehead University Student Union) that manages Student-run Clubs. A variety of clubs like athletics, cultural, debate etc are formed in the University.
Living away from home isn’t as easy or fun as it seems. To facilitate the stay of students wanting to study in Canada the University provides both on-campus and off-campus accommodations at affordable prices.
- LU provides on-campus accommodation to it’s students in both Orillia and Thunder Bay.
- Students are provided with furnished bedrooms with all the basic utilities like proper electricity, proper water supply and internet access.
- Home residence is a perfect choice for newcomers who do not have any prior experience to living alone.
- Home residence comes with full meal plans in the accommodation package so that candidates can focus on their education full time and give time to them for proper self-growth.
- The Thunder Bay residence has a total of 1,196 beds with three cafeteria and dining hall.
- Students have an option to choose meal plans depending on the place they come from.
- Off campus accommodation is available with a walking distance of 5 min away from the campus.
- Off campus accommodation is best for candidates who are looking for an independent mode of accommodation.
- Both the campuses of Lakehead University are situated in small towns and it is not much of a big deal to find cheap and affordable rent.
- Apartments are available both shared and single occupancy and facilities like kitchen, AC, access to the internet are all provided within the accommodations.
Lakehead University is a place to live and dream. With a dynamic, modern and highly learner-centered environment that acknowledges all of it’s students as valued leaders of tomorrow.
Also, know about the best cities to live in Canada.
Lakehead University admissions take place in 3 intake cycles, i.e., in September, January and in May or July.
The deadlines for the undergraduate programs for international students are March 1, 2021 (full-time and part-time) and April 1, 2021 (Summer) though they are still accepting the applications.
The deadlines to apply for Winter 2021 Admission has been closed (December 1, 2021)
Following are the steps required for admission to LU:
- The first step is to visit the official website of the University.
- Fill in the required details and select the program you want to opt for.
- Wait for the acknowledgement from the University and keep checking the official site.
- A Minimum of 70% is required (Canadian Equivalent)
- IELTS academic: Overall 6.5, with no section less than 6.0
- TOEFL iBT: Overall 80, with no section less than 19
- PTE Overall 58, with no section below 50
- Candidates must be graduates from a recognised University that is candidates must have a bachelor’s degree.
- A minimum score of 75% is required or a 3 on 4 point according to Canadian scale
The application fees for Canadian students is 50 CAD for Canadian Students and permanent residents and 135 CAD for international students.
The Cost of Attendance varies from course to course. But the Tuition fees for Canadian students is lesser than the international students because the Ontario government bears some of the educational expenses of students of Canada. Usually undergrad programs are more expensive than Post Grad programs.
Undergraduate courses take anywhere from INR 15,56,600 (25,648 CAD) to INR 27,42,400 (45355 CAD) per year on just tuition fees whereas the Postgraduate courses take anywhere from INR 4,27,600 (7,013 CAD) to INR 6,67,000 (10,939 CAD).
The accommodation or the living expenses are tabulated below:
|Type of Expenditure||Annual Cost in CAD||Annual Cost in INR|
|Books and Supplies||2,300||1,40,000|
Know in detail the cost of living in Canada.
The University offers financial aid to students who excel in their entrance examination and the university offers one top scholarship programs applicable to both local and international students.
LU spends more than INR 60,91,24,725 that is around 10,028,287 CAD on scholarships and awards to help students pursue their dream. Scholarships are awarded to the top 2 international students and graduate assistant appointments are offered to some of the full-time and graduate students.
However, scholarship varies for international and local students. For international students, the entrance scholarship is valued at INR 3,69,274 that is 6077 CAD but if the student continues to excel in academics the financial aid can be extended to 4 years valued at INR 14,77,116 i.e., 24300 CAD to INR 22,15,644 i.e., 36,400 CAD.
Additionally, students can look for a plethora of international scholarships to study in Canada.
Lakehead University, more likely known as LU has over 45,000 alumni, with the main campus at Thunder Bay with about 7,900 students. The University also has an Alumni Association which supports the University through funding. Some of the notable alumni include Steve Ashton- Minister of Water Stewardship/ MLA Thompson, Government, Jan Cameron- Australian swimmer and coach, Stephan Low- IMAX Filmmaker, Director and many more.
Ques. What are the documents required for admissions to the Lakehead university?
Ans. Documents like official transcripts, course descriptions, language proficiency requirements and the consent form and a reference letter. These are certain pre admission required documents that will help you along the road to admission.
Ques. Is the cost of Living for studying at Lakehead University affordable?
Ans. There are different types of options to choose from like on campus and off campus. The expenses can range from INR 59,200 ( 972 CAD ) to as high as INR 8,88,000 (14,586 CAD). The prices rise and drop depending on the area you live in. If it comes to food, it’s a lot cheaper if the candidate eats and cooks at home. So, yes, the expenses depend on the choices of the student.
Ques. What is the Alumni association Scholarship at the Lakehead university?
Ans. The Alumni Association at the LU helps fund the university. Also, if one of the candidate’s parents are the alumni of the University then the students can avail a scholarship of INR 1,85,000 (3,038 CAD) keeping in mind that the scholarship is renewable.
Ques. Why is the fee for the students from the province lesser than the International students?
Ans. Yes, the tuition fee at the Lakeheads for Canadian students is lesser than the international students because The Ontario government bears educational costs only for students from the province.
Ques. How healthy is the atmosphere at the lakeheads for education?
Ans. The University is known for its education and research learning. Both the campuses are situated at the beautiful towns in Canada and the places give a perfect picturesque to know about Canada’s culture. Also, since the campuses are situated in small towns the environment is pretty clean. The Thunder bay also provides an environment to go fishing, biking, camping. The campus also provides smoke free residence halls.
FIND A PROGRAM
|total faculty||full time||part time||graduate assistants|
Times Higher Education
RANKED #601 - #800
RANKED #301 - #400
RANKED #301 - #400
RANKED #301 - #400
View More >>
One of my uncle lived in Canada,one of their children studied at the Lakehead University.They also suggested this university to me.So I made ab application for my admission through their official website.The admission process was fully online.I had to paid an application fee of around $100 while submitting the application form.
Course Curriculum :
This degree program helped me to develop a comprehensive and integrated knowledge of business and management functions and a deeper understanding of the business environment.From this program I had develop analytical, decision-making, and communication skills.It included intensive and stimulating lectures, energetic class discussions, contemporary and relevant case studies, and experiential learning projects.
I opted for this particular college because of its world wide acknowledgement in engineering segment and consistent decent placement rates over the previous years. The selection procedure comprised of a personal interview and document verification, and the cost of application was $80 for one choice. My percentage in senior secondary examination was 89.38%.
Course Curriculum :
In my course, subjects like fluid mechanics, strength of material, engineering mechanics had made my base of engineering and later I got specialization all of them as well. Apart from them IC engine was one of my favorite subject also some time theory of machines attracted me towards it. Moreover, I enjoyed my course thoroughly and learned a lot of thing from it.
Since after completing my graduation in business administration, I was selected as an marketing analyst in an educational firm during campus placement drive. I worked there for almost four years and one day I decided to pursue my MBA from a reputed institution in order to build my dream career in management. So I applied here and got selection in MBA.
Course Curriculum :
In my curriculum, I was given such subjects that totally changed my perception for the real world of corporate sector. As I was experienced professional in marketing segment so my specialization was in sales and marketing. I used to learn each and every concepts by using my work experience as a standard bar of comparison between the practical consequences.
The biggest reason for choosing this university was that it had offered an excellent academic program and other opportunities which I really wanted.I had applied at two other colleges but I selected in this first.There was an online application form filled by me through website if the university with an application fee of around $100.
Course Curriculum :
This was a well structured academic program delivered by the renowned faculty Small classes helped me to learn it thoroughly.It provided access to a 240-core high performance computer Linux cluster, a stunning 3-D virtual reality lab. Through this program I learnt about game programming, mobile computing, health informatics applications, big data, and cloud computing.
I got to know about this with the help of google, after long hours of researching. It was pretty hectic finding a suitable college , but finally with the help of collegedunia I was able to find this college. For the admission, I applied through the online college portal for which I paid $100 for the application form. It took about four to six weeks to get a revert back from the administration, after which I was finally accepted.
Course Curriculum :
The course is very vigorous. It has a lot of practical and also weekly tests, which helps us to understand the subject better. It is a four year course and I am currently in my third year. However due to the ongoing pandemic situation, we are currently having our classes online.
- Bus Station
- Book Store
- Shopping Mall
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary