Lakehead University, a public research university was established in 1965 in Ontario, Canada. It is ranked #1 in Canada for research in the category of undergraduate universities.
Why should you choose Lakehead University?
Lakehead University is a prime research center in Canada. It is ranked high on Maclean’s page. Its key features determine the success of this university.
Ranking and Standings
- Maclean’s 2018 University Rankings has included Lakehead University among the country’s top 10 primary undergraduate universities.
- Lakehead University has been placed 9th in Canada and 3rd in Ontario in its category.
- Ranked 34th in Canada by Webometrics.
- Ranked 996th in the world by Webometrics.
- Experiential learning through co-op, community-based learning and internships.
- Guaranteed entrance scholarships starting at 80% and more for Canadian, direct from high school students.
- Provides an opportunity for Study Abroad program.
- Class strength is less than 50 in most cases thereby, balancing the student-faculty ratio to 15:1 for an easy one to one interaction.
- Being the top Ontario university in undergraduate research, it provides an opportunity to conduct research at undergraduate level.
- The employment rate is 94.4%, students here, get placed within a year of completion of graduation.
|Type of university||Public|
|Total number of students||7,070|
|Number of Undergraduate Students||6,027|
|Number of Graduate Students||1,043|
|Languages for course delivery||French and English|
|Test Scores Accepted||GMAT, TOEFL, IELTS and GRE|
Campuses & Residence
Lakehead’s campuses are in Thunder Bay and Orillia.
Thunder Bay campus
- Lakehead University's main campus is in the City of Thunder Bay.
- Located on the shores of Lake Superior in Northwestern Ontario, the City of Thunder Bay is truly ‘superior by nature’.
- Thunder Bay has all the amenities of a large center combined with a small-town charm and feel.
- Lakehead University’s Orillia campus is celebrating its 10th Anniversary.
- In 2006, the Lakehead experience was brought to Central Ontario’s beautiful cottage country in the City of Orillia.
- Located just one and a half hours north of Toronto, the City of Orillia is positioned on the shores of Lake Koochiching and Lake Simcoe offering year-round opportunities for culture, recreation and heritage.
Housing at Orillia
- It is a 246-bed residence.
- Single rooms are provided while sharing the bathroom with only one person.
- Each floor has laundry facility, kitchenette and study room.
Housing at Thunder Bay
- Has the capacity of accommodating 1,200 students.
- The accommodation is divided into three living styles – residence hall, apartments and townhouses.
- Types of Apartments - Standard and Barrier Free
- Each student has single furnished room with a telephone, internet access and cable TV.
- Students share kitchen, living and dining area and shared washrooms.
- Types of Residence Halls - Bartley residence and Halliday Hall
- Has smoke-free dormitory-style residence halls.
- Suitable for the secondary school level students who are leaving their home for the first time.
- The full meal plan is available for the students in the accommodation package.
- Provides a sense of living off-campus but with on-campus facilities.
- Reserved for upper year students.
- Equipped with a telephone, internet access and digital cable TV access.
- Students share kitchen, four-piece bathroom, dining room and living room.
- Off-Campus Housing of Lakehead University is to help its students find a place to live off campus.
- Landlords are encouraged to list themselves at the housing department.
- All listings are available online.
- Provides roommate listed links to find the right partner.
There is a diverse range of programs across the two campuses. From Science and Arts to Professional degrees, Lakehead has a plan for all. Given are the various faculties and program information for interested students.
- Faculty of Natural Resources Management
- Faculty of Science and Environmental Studies
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Business Administration
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Social Sciences and Humanities
- Faculty of Engineering
- Faculty of Health and Behavioral Sciences
- Faculty of Graduate Studies
- Faculty of Medical School (West Campus)
|Campus||Number of Programs|
|Number of programs at Thunder Bay||54|
|Number of Programs at Orillia||15|
|Number of Programs at Georgian-Barrie||3|
|Number of online programs||1|
|Program||Number of specialization|
Master’s program has two major specialization – Gerontology and Women’s Studies
Advanced Placement Courses
Advanced Placement examination and courses are used to determine admissibility and the granting of credit or exemption. If students have achieved a minimum grade of 4 on certain advanced placement exams, they will be eligible to receive university credit.
But, students should note that Engineering programs are not eligible for AP transfer credit consideration.
Choose Your Schedule
Students are given the liberty to apply for classes as per their schedule, study plan and preferred language. A student can choose the various schedules from
All you need to know about Application Process
The students must check their eligibility criteria before starting with the form filling. Documents must be kept ready in advance. Given are the steps to fill and submit the application form.
For International Students
General Admission Requirements
- Graduation done from an academic secondary school program or equivalent
- Program-Specific prerequisite courses must be completed at the senior level
- Must attain overall 70% as final average (Canadian)
- Official Transcripts
- Course Descriptions
- Language proficiency requirement (if applicable)
- The consent form and reference letter (Nursing transfer applicants only)
Different programs at the institute are subject to different application procedures. Here are a few common steps that one must follow to fill the application form
- Visit the official website of Lakehead University at www.lakeheadu.ca.
- Select the desired program.
- Find the eligibility and study plan.
- Fill the online application at the official website.
After Application Submission
- Students must wait for acknowledgement e-mail.
- Keep the username and password handy.
- Regularly check the student information portal.
- Track the application status.
- Accept the offer if interested.
Cost & Expenditure
The tuition fees may be different for different programs year-wise. The residence fees is also mentioned along with the meal plan.
- Candidates will have to show a proof of finance while applying for students’ Visa. The tuition fee charged by Lakehead University varies from course to course and on the place of residency.
- Students may find the actual fees by filling up the credentials for the application form available on the official website of the university.
The range of average tuition fee for:
- International Students – CAD 23,501 to CAD 26,126
- Domestic Students – CAD 8,431 to CAD 10,126
Note: The fee includes tuition, books and supplies
In addition to the above-mentioned fee, International Students have to pay the obligatory University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) which is payable in full of the first instalment.
Tentative period to pay the tuition fee for various sessions
|Fall Session||September- December|
|Winter Session||January- April|
Thunder Bay Residence Rates
| ||Basic Single Residence Hall||Single Residence Hall||Townhouse||Apartment Complex|
|Room Charges||N/A||N/A||CAD 7,236.95||CAD 7,236.95|
|Room and Meal Plan Charges||CAD 10,651.80||CAD 11,404.79||N/A||N/A|
|Activity Fee||CAD 50.00||CAD 50.00||CAD 25.00||CAD 50.00|
|Total||CAD 10,701.80||CAD 11,454.79||CAD 7,261.95||CAD 7,286.95|
Orillia Residence Rates
| ||Single Room & Plan - A||Single Room & Plan - B|
|Room and Meal Plan Charges||CAD 12,144.37||CAD 12,844.37|
|Activity Fee||CAD 50.00||CAD 50.00|
|Total Due||CAD 12,194.37||CAD 12,894.37|
Plan A - For students not on campus on weekends and those with lighter appetites
Plan B - For students on campus on weekends and those with larger appetites
Scholarships & Financial Aid
The university provides more than CAD 11 million on scholarships, awards and bursaries every year. Two of their main scholarship programs are listed below:
International Undergraduate Entrance Scholarships
Value of scholarship - CAD 4,000 - CAD 30,000
Application details - The scholarship is valid for four years or receiving the first degree, whichever is earlier. The scholarship is released in two rounds – February and April.
Eligibility Requirements - The scholarship is available to the top international high school students applying to Lakehead University for 2018-2019. There is no need to fill International Entrance Scholarships do not require any application, to non-Canadian citizens who are entering Lakehead University from a recognized high school curriculum or who are transferring from an international college or university.
International Graduate Scholarships
Graduate Assistant appointment rate:
- Master’s level – CAD 10,071.77
- Doctoral level – CAD 10,983.53
Application Details – The regular program constitutes maximum 270 hours of work, on an average 10 hours of work weekly.
Eligibility Criteria – Graduate Assistant appointments are offered to some of the full-time graduate students (including Visa students). These positions vary between different program provide teaching opportunities for student workers.
Faculty Research Award for Graduate Students
Some graduates receive Faculty Research Award. A stipend is paid for the work and research related to the student’s field. The award is released by student’s supervisor.
Work While You Study
The university provides opportunity to the students to work while studying as a financial support. The students can work either in campus or may also go for off-campus.
The eligible students are hired for 10 hours per week time. For this, they earn a subsidy of maximum CAD 1,000. There is no guarantee that filling an application may provide the opportunity.
Jobs like Assistant Professor, Lab Technician, Administrative Officer, Writer etc. are available on-campus from where students can take benefits of getting part-time employment.
- Must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
- Have applied and approved for financial aid.
- Attending Lakehead university as a full-time undergraduate in both fall and winter semester.
- NSERC-USRA or NSERC students are not eligible for the position.
Benefits of Work Study Program
- Valuable exposure to work environment.
- Mostly students find job related to their field of study.
- Flexible hours to work depending upon the school schedule.
- Additional funding to support funding of educational expenses.
The alumni network of Lakehead University is very strong. Following are some of the notable alumni of the university
Benefits of Alumni Association
- Will receive alumni benefits card for the services like – insurance, hotel accommodation, retail shops, campus library etc.
- Would get benefit on Clearly eye wear company for eye glasses, contact lenses, sunglasses etc.
- Benefits on SoftMoc shoes.
There are more benefits on industrial alliance, Royal Ontario Museum, LU Athletic membership, Enterprise Rent-A-Car etc.
Some of the well-known alumni of LU:
- Diane Schoemperlen: Canadian Novelist
- Bruce Hyer: Member of the Canadian House of Commons
- Lyn McLeod: Former MLA, Ontario
- Stephen Low: Canadian film director
- Cyril Dabydeen: Canadian writer
- Melissa Coates: Canadian professional wrestler