Master of Engineering [M.Eng] (Computing and Software)
Field of Study
International Student Tution
- McMaster University offers an MEng Computing and Software program for a duration of 2 years.
- It is an on-campus, thesis-based program offered on a full-time or part-time basis.
- This program is intended for students who are interested in a career as a practicing professional in Computing and Software related fields.
- The specialization courses in Computing and Software are:
- Computer Systems and Software Quality
- Theory and Methodologies of Computation
- Security, Privacy, and Data Analytics
- Scientific Computing and Optimization
- Health Informatics and Bioinformatics
- The MEng program trains students to develop a level of understanding that will enable them to apply their knowledge and skills in the information technology industry.
- In this program, students must complete six half (one-term) graduate courses and it focuses on computing research problems that involve scientific theory, and engineering practice.
- The research advances state-of-the-art computer software and hardware design, theoretical foundations of computing, and systems development.
- Students must complete an independent project demonstrating the ability to carry out independent studies and reach a satisfactory conclusion in the area of Computing and Software.
- The duration of a project is 4 months and could be completed at a company, but it must be conducted under the supervision of a faculty member.
- The student-faculty ratio of the Computing ad Software program is 18:1.
- The department offers programs leading to master’s and Ph.D. degrees in both Computer Science and Software Engineering and advances the field of computing through education and research.
- The Faculty member of the department is regular award winners including the prestigious Premier Research Excellence Award (PREA), OCUFA teaching award, McMaster Students Union Teaching Award, etc.
- McMaster University is among Canada’s top 10 research universities and ranks 6th in the country in research intensity.
- Job opportunities after MEng Computing and Software are Mobile Application Developer, Software Engineer, etc and the average salary goes up to 60,000 USD.
|Degree Type Offered||Master|
|Fees||$ 35376 for 2 years|
|Delivery Type||full time|
|Admission Intake||September (Deadline - May 3)|
Eligibility & Entry Requirement
- Students must have a 4-year bachelor’s (honors) degree from a recognized university in the related fields.
- The related fields include a UG degree in Engineering, Computer Science, or Mathematics.
- Students must have a minimum B- grade (70-72% equivalent to a McMaster 7.0 GPA) to enroll in this program.
Indian Student Eligibility:
Indian students are eligible to apply if they meet one of the following eligibility criteria:
- Completed a 4-year UG degree with first class in a relevant field from a recognized institution.
- Or, completed a 3-year UG degree with a substantial background in computer science or software engineering or a related field.
- Students must have a B- minimum average grade, based on a full-year equivalent of final year courses.
Submission of GRE scores is not compulsory for this program, however, if students have appeared for the GRE exam then it is recommended to submit the scores (minimum 300) for a better chance of admission.
Required Document List
Following are the required document:
- Online application form and fees: Students have to fill the online form and submit the application fees.
- CV/Resume: Outline of academic achievements and/or awards, publications, relevant work and/or volunteer experience.
- Two Academic or Professional References: Referees (Teachers, guidance counselors, or Professors) should comment on academics and that references should submit along with the application system.
- Personal Statement: It should include a brief overview of themselves, strengths and any work experience and/or education that students have.
- Transcripts: Students have to submit transcripts from all universities/colleges attended, World Education Services Assessments, and English Language Proficiency test scores.
- Statement of Intent: Reasons or intentions for pursuing studies in this program, including a description of prior experience.
|September||May 3, 2021|
Fees & Funding
Tution & Application Fees
|Year||Year 1||Year 2|
|Head||Avg Cost Per Year|
|Room and Food (On-Campus)||$ 9195|
|Housing (Off-Campus)||$ 4860|
Academy Ranking of World Universities 2020
Ranked #101 / 500
Computer Science and Engineering [ International ]
Scholarship Grants & Financial Aids
|Name||Amount||International Students Eligible||Application Deadline|
|Ontario Graduate Scholarship||$ 10847||Yes||N/A|
|FINCAD Women in Finance Scholarship||$ 20000||Yes||N/A|
|Go Clean Scholarship||$ 3500||Yes||Dec 31, 2020|
|(ISC)² Women’s Cybersecurity Scholarships||Variable||Yes||Feb 19, 2021|
VISA & Work Study
- Students are required to get a Study Visa to study in Canada.
- If students are traveling outside Canada will need either an Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA) or a Valid Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) to re-enter Canada.
- The cost of the study visa is 112 USD and is valid for the length of the student’s study program, plus an extra 90 days.
- Students need a Social Insurance Number (SIN) to work in Canada and to get the SIN, students will need to bring a passport and study visa.
- At the time of VISA application, students need to provide various documents:
- Application form and Study Plan
- Valid Passport
- Official Acceptance Letter
- Financial Evidence
Students need a work-Study visa to work in Canada. Full-time international students studying at a Canadian university may seek employment in Canada in 4 situations:
- on-campus employment
- co-ops employment
- working off-campus
- post-graduation work visa
The McMaster Work Program gives students opportunities to work on campus during the fall/winter terms and over the summer.
- First-year international students are not eligible for the fall/winter work program but can apply for the summer after their first year and every year beyond.
- International students with a valid study visa are eligible to participate in McMaster’s work programs.
- Students can work Part-time at a maximum of 10 hours per week in the fall and winter terms.
- Students can work Full-time of 35 hours per week and part-time over the summer.
Career and Placement after Course
Job opportunities for MEng Computing and Software students are:
- Mobile Application Developer
- Software Engineer
- Video Game Designer
- IT Security Specialist
- Computer Systems Analyst
- Web Developer
- Health Information Technician
- Technology Manager