Master of Engineering [M.Eng] (Electrical and Computer Engineering)
Field of Study
International Student Tution
- McMaster University offers MEng Electrical and Computer Engineering for a duration of 1.5 years.
- It is an on-campus, co-op (optional), course-based program offered on a full-time basis.
- The MEng program is available with 2 different options:
- The MEng-Project consists of a combination of courses and a project.
- The MEng-Course consists of only coursework.
- In this program, students are required to complete a 7 graduate half-courses (or equivalent), of which at least 4 must be 700-level and up to two 600-level courses approved by the department.
- The different research areas of the Electrical and Computer Engineering program are:
- Biomedical information technology
- Computer-aided design
- Image Processing and Multimedia
- Microwaves and Photonics-Optoelectronics
- Networks and Signal Processing
- Firstly, this program enables students to enhance their knowledge and skills in key areas of Electrical and Computer Engineering at which students will be able to lead the implementation of the technologies of today.
- Second, it seeks students to develop an understanding of the principles that underlie these technologies, so that they will be able to critically evaluate future advances in the state-of-the-art.
- The co-op program helps students to increase their academic learning skills and the student-faculty ratio of this program is 6:1 which increases the interaction between faculty and students.
- McMaster University is home to the best laboratories and brightest minds in the country who work every day to improve human and societal health and well-being and ranks 6th in the country in the research intensity.
- The department is ranked as one of the best departments of Electrical and Computer Engineering both nationally and internationally.
- The Faculty member of the department is regular award winners including the prestigious Premier Research Excellence Award (PREA), OCUFA teaching award, McMaster Students Union Teaching Award, etc.
- Job opportunities after MEng Electrical and Computer Engineering are Machine learning, engineer, Multimedia programmer, etc and the average salary goes up to 68,160 USD.
|Degree Type Offered||Master|
|Fees||$ 35376 for 1.5 years|
|Delivery Type||full time|
|Admission Intake||September (Deadline - May 3)|
Eligibility & Entry Requirement
- Students have to complete a bachelor’s degree or a related degree from a recognized university.
- The related fields include a UG degree in computer engineering, engineering science, applied computing, applied mathematics, computer information systems.
- Students must have a minimum B+ grade (77-79%) to enroll in this program.
Indian Student Eligibility:
Indian students are eligible to apply if they meet one of the following eligibility criteria:
- Completed a 4-year UG degree with first class in a relevant field from a recognized institution.
- Or, completed a 3-year UG degree must have a substantial background in computer science or software engineering or a related field.
- Students must have a B- minimum average grade, based on a full-year equivalent of final year courses.
Required Document List
Following are the required document:
- Online application form and fees: Students have to fill the online form and submit the application fees.
- CV/Resume: Outline of academic achievements and/or awards, publications, relevant work, and/or volunteer experience.
- Two Academic or Professional References: Referees (Teachers, guidance counselors, or Professors) should comment on academics and that references should submit along with the application system.
- Personal Statement: It should include a brief overview of themselves, strengths, and any work experience and/or education that students have.
- Transcripts: Students have to submit transcripts from all universities/colleges attended, World Education Services Assessments, and English Language Proficiency test scores.
- Statement of Intent: Reasons or intentions for pursuing studies in this program, including a description of prior experience.
|September||May 3, 2021|
Fees & Funding
Tution & Application Fees
|Year||Year 1||Year 2|
|Head||Avg Cost Per Year|
|Room and Food (On-Campus)||$ 9195|
|Housing (Off-Campus)||$ 4860|
Academy Ranking of World Universities 2020
Ranked #101 / 500
Computer Science and Engineering [ International ]
Scholarship Grants & Financial Aids
|Name||Amount||International Students Eligible||Application Deadline|
|Ontario Graduate Scholarship||$ 10847||Yes||N/A|
|Saryu Doshi Graduate Fellowships in Liberal Arts & Sciences||$ 4078||Yes||N/A|
|Axol Science Scholarship||$ 2000||Yes||Jul 1, 2020|
|Aga khan Foundation Scholarships||Variable||Yes||Mar 31, 2021|
VISA & Work Study
- Students are required to get a Study Visa to study in Canada.
- If students are traveling outside Canada will need either an Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA) or a Valid Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) to re-enter Canada.
- The cost of the study visa is 112 USD and is valid for the length of the student’s study program, plus an extra 90 days.
- Students need a Social Insurance Number (SIN) to work in Canada and to get the SIN, students will need to bring a passport and study visa.
- At the time of VISA application, students need to provide various documents:
- Application form and Study Plan
- Valid Passport
- Official Acceptance Letter
- Financial Evidence
Students need a work-Study visa to work in Canada. Full-time international students studying at a Canadian university may seek employment in Canada in 4 situations:
- on-campus employment
- co-ops employment
- working off-campus
- post-graduation work visa
The McMaster Work Program gives students opportunities to work on campus during the fall/winter terms and over the summer.
- First-year international students are not eligible for the fall/winter work program but can apply for the summer after their first year and every year beyond.
- International students with a valid study visa are eligible to participate in McMaster’s work programs.
- Students can work Part-time at a maximum of 10 hours per week in the fall and winter terms.
- Students can work Full-time of 35 hours per week and part-time over the summer.
Career and Placement after Course
Job opportunities in MEng Electrical and Computer Engineering are:
- Clinical technologist
- Fire risk assessor
- Land-based engineer
- Machine learning engineer
- Management consultant
- Multimedia programmer
- Project manager
- Technical author