Master of Science in Nursing [M.S.N]
Field of Study
International Student Tution
- McMaster University offers a Master of Science in Nursing for a duration of 2 years.
- It is an on-campus, a thesis, and a course-based program offered on a full-time basis.
- MSc program offers 3 types of streams that are:
- Course-based Primary Health Care Nurse Practitioner
- The 3 areas of excellence provide students with a range of opportunities for advanced education and research in Nursing on a full- and part-time basis. The research areas of the Nursing program are:
- Illness Prevention and Management
- Healthy Equity and Disparity
- Health System Integration and Innovation
- With the increased knowledge of the theoretical basis of practice, students will be able to play a role in evolving health care systems and the student-faculty ratio of this program is 28:1.
- For the thesis-based degree, students will demonstrate the knowledge of appropriate clinical research methods, including the development of clinical measures and the determination of clinical and program efficiency.
- For the course-based master's degree, students will demonstrate the ability to apply advanced scientific theory to their professional practice.
- The program offers studies leading to the MSc and Ph.D., as well as Graduate Diplomas in Advanced Neonatal Nursing and Primary Health Care Nurse Practitioner.
- Master of Science in Nursing at McMaster University ranks 4th according to Maclean's in Canada.
- There are several major research units in the school of Nursing which help students in their research work are Cardiovascular Nursing, Community, and Health Research Unit (ACHRU), Primary Health Care Nursing, etc.
- School of Nursing ranked 2nd in Canada, 15th globally to provide students with the best experience and offer a range of different pathways in which they can excel.
- Job opportunities after MSc Nursing are Hospital Nursing, Public Health Nursing, etc and the average salary goes up to 59,000 USD.
|Degree Type Offered||Master|
|Fees||$ 17822 for 2 years|
|Delivery Type||full time|
|Admission Intake||September (Deadline - Jan 15)|
Eligibility & Entry Requirement
- Students must complete a bachelor’s degree in Nursing (60 units taken at a university) from a recognized university.
- Students have a minimum B+ grade over the final 60 units from an undergraduate nursing program.
- Complete a thesis on an approved health care issue and defend the thesis at a final oral examination.
Indian Student Eligibility:
- Completed a 4-year UG degree from a recognized institution.
- Or, completed a 3-year UG degree from a recognized University.
Required Document List
Following are the required documents:
- Online application form and fees: Students have to fill the online form and submit the application fees.
- CV/Resume: Outline of academic achievements and/or awards, publications, relevant work, and/or volunteer experience.
- Two Academic or Professional References: Referees (Teachers, guidance counselors, or Professors) should comment on academics and that references should submit along with the application system.
- Personal Statement: It should include a brief overview of themselves, strengths, and any work experience and/or education that students have.
- Transcripts: Students have to submit transcripts from all universities/colleges attended, World Education Services Assessments, and English Language Proficiency test scores.
- Statement of Intent: Reasons or intentions for pursuing studies in this program, including a description of prior experience.
|September||Jan 15, 2021|
Fees & Funding
Tution & Application Fees
|Year||Year 1||Year 2|
|Head||Avg Cost Per Year|
|Room and Food (On-Campus)||$ 9195|
|Housing (Off-Campus)||$ 4860|
QS World University 2020
Ranked #16 / 100
Nursing [ International ]
Scholarship Grants & Financial Aids
|Name||Amount||International Students Eligible||Application Deadline|
|Ontario Graduate Scholarship||$ 10847||Yes||N/A|
|(ISC)² Women’s Cybersecurity Scholarships||Variable||Yes||Feb 19, 2021|
|Ontario Graduate Fellowship||$ 8459||Yes||N/A|
|Collegedunia $150 Scholarship Program||$ 150||Yes||N/A|
VISA & Work Study
- Students are required to get a Study Visa to study in Canada.
- If students are traveling outside Canada will need either an Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA) or a Valid Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) to re-enter Canada.
- The cost of the study visa is 112 USD and is valid for the length of the student’s study program, plus an extra 90 days.
- Students need a Social Insurance Number (SIN) to work in Canada and to get the SIN, students will need to bring a passport and study visa.
- At the time of VISA application, students need to provide various documents:
- Application form and Study Plan
- Valid Passport
- Official Acceptance Letter
- Financial Evidence
Students need a work-Study visa to work in Canada. Full-time international students studying at a Canadian university may seek employment in Canada in 4 situations:
- on-campus employment
- co-ops employment
- working off-campus
- post-graduation work visa
The McMaster Work Program gives students opportunities to work on campus during the fall/winter terms and over the summer.
- First-year international students are not eligible for the fall/winter work program but can apply for the summer after their first year and every year beyond.
- International students with a valid study visa are eligible to participate in McMaster’s work programs.
- Students can work Part-time at a maximum of 10 hours per week in the fall and winter terms.
- Students can work Full-time of 35 hours per week and part-time over the summer.
Career and Placement after Course
Job opportunities for MSc in Nursing students are:
- Orthopedic Nursing
- Hospital Nursing
- Public Health Nursing
- Community Health Nursing
- Military Nursing Educators
- Health Nursing
- Psychiatric Nursing
- Pediatric Nursing