Lazaridis School of Business & Economics: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
The Lazaridis School of Business and Economics is the business School of Wilfrid Laurier University in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada established in 1966. This school is the home to the business and management faculty of the University. More than 6000 students enrolled in this prestigious higher education institute of Canada.
It is AACSB accredited which is a huge achievement as less than 5% out of 13000 business programs around the world have this accreditation. The institution offers Undergraduate, Graduate and Diploma programs. It has tie-ups for professional designations to institutions like - Chartered Professional Accountants (CPA), Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA), Certified Financial Planner (CFP) and Certified Human Resources Professional (CHRP).
The business areas in which the school offers programs include Accounting, Business Technology Management, Finance, Marketing, Operations and Decision Sciences (ODS), Organizational Behaviour/Human Resource Management (OB/HRM) and Policy. It observes an employment rate of as high as 99.8% and thus can help you land some of the high-paying jobs in Canada.
- The Lazaridis of business and Economics is ranked 3rd by the Palmes league with 3 Palmes of excellence in 2019.
- According to the US News and World Report 2020, the University is ranked in the 1180th position in terms of Best Global University rankings.
- The university is ranked #1 nationally in terms of best residence living and extracurricular activities in 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020 by the Maclean’s.
- Maclean’s has also ranked the University’s course instructors, student life staff and administrative staff as #1 nationally.
|Parent University||Wilfrid Laurier University|
|Accreditation Agency||Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB)|
|Mode of Program||Full-time|
|Campus Housing Facility||Yes|
|Annual Cost of Attendance||36,536 – 45,935 USD|
Programs, Campus and Accommodation
- The Lazaridis School has programs running on both Laurier’s Waterloo and Brantford campus.
- There are around 22 clubs and groups on the Lazaridis School of Business and Economics campus which are simply based on business and economics with more than 2300 business students as participants.
- Including these 22 clubs and groups, there are a total of 270 clubs and groups at Laurier with more than 6000 students involved in it.
- There is a new program at Lazaridis School, Bachelor of Business Technology Management which is only provided in the Brantford campus.
- It takes only an hour from Toronto to reach the Waterloo campus.
- The Waterloo campus is in proximity of 11.6km from the Kitchener (YKF) Airport.
- Residence facilities are provided in both the Waterloo and the Brantford campus.
- There are about 3000 students in the Waterloo campus through 17 residence buildings provided for accommodation.
- 9 out of 17 residence buildings in the Waterloo campus are Dormitory styled and the remaining 8 are Apartment styled.
- The rooms in these residence buildings are fully furnished and have various utilities like laundry facility, kitchen, and common lounge, studying lounge and internet facilities.
- In the Brantford campus there are 5 residence buildings which are all apartment-style.
- Off-campus accommodation facilities are also available in the form of studio apartments, 3 bedroom apartments, 4 bedroom apartments and shared apartments.
- All off-campus accommodations have fully furnished rooms, living room, kitchen, and bathroom with internet and air conditioning facilities.
- The institute offers a range of courses for international students including more than 100 undergraduate and 22 graduate degree programs
- Out of the 22 programs offered by the Lazaridis School 9 of them are Bachelor’s Degree, 8 of them are Master’s Degree, 2 Diplomas, 2 options and 1 Doctorate.
- The professional programs offered are Master’s of Business Administration (MBA), Master’s of Finance (MFin), Executive Master’s in Technology Management (MSc) and MSc in Management Analytics (MMA).
- The graduate degrees offered are Master’s of Science (MSc) in Management, Doctoral Degree (PhD) in Management and Master’s of Arts in Business Economics (MABE).
Lazaridis School of Business and Economics Application Process
How to apply?
Application Portal: Application for admission to undergraduate and graduate students can be submitted through the OUAC application portal
Application Fees: CAD 125
Admissions at Lazaridis School of Business and Economics are available in the 3 seasons, the deadlines for which are:
Fall deadline – June 12; Winter deadline – November; Spring deadline - March
- Official high school/ college transcripts
- Applicant Background Summary Form
- Proof of English Proficiency through test scores as provided in the table below:
|Test||Minimum Score Requirements|
|TOEFL||An overall score of 83 or higher with a minimum score of 20 in each component.|
|IELTS||An academic score of 6.5 or higher with a minimum of 6.0 in each band.|
|CAEL||70 overall; 60 in each band.|
|PTE||59 overall or higher.|
|CAE||Overall score of 176.|
|Duolingo English test||Minimum score of 115.|
- If the basic requirements for the programs are met but English Proficiency requirement is not met, then the students have to go through the Laurier English and Academic Foundation (LEAF) program.
- Official college transcripts
- GMAT score
- Statement of Intent
- Updated resume
- Reference letters
- English proficiency test scores
Lazaridis School of Business and Economics Cost of Attendance
An estimated cost of living in Canada for international students for one academic year is as as follows:
|Tuition||24,104 – 29,637 USD|
|Student Fees||1,188 – 1,426 USD|
|Total Academic Expenses||26,242 – 32,013 USD|
|Residence||5,090 – 8,594 USD (Waterloo: dorm or apartment style)
6,608 – 7,083 USD (Brantford: apartment style only)
|Meal Plans||2,180USD, 5,250 USD or 5,650 USD
(Waterloo) 800 – 1,200 USD (Brantford)
|Groceries||2,400 USD (300 USD/month)|
|Health Insurance||624 USD|
|Total Personal Expenses||10,294 – 13,922 USD|
|Total||36,536 – 45,935 USD|
- Financial aid is provided to the students in the form of part time employment, bursaries and scholarships in Canada for international students.
- Students can take part in part time employment programs and work as teaching assistants, computer analysts, telefund raiser, food service etc.
- International entrance scholarships vary in amounts ranging from 1000 USD to 2000 USD based on academic records. These scholarships include: Farouk and Dawn Ahamed International Student Scholarship, The Walter Metzger Memorial Bursary Fund, Dr. WJ Villaume Scholarships and Inspiring lives scholarship.
- In addition to entrance scholarships, students can become eligible to receive additional in-course scholarship awards from 500 USD to 1500 USD from the second year of the program provided they meet GPA requirements.
- Students with academic achievement of 95% or above are eligible to receive the President's Gold Scholarship up to 5000 USD.
- Wilfrid Laurier Alumni Association (WLUAA) is a huge community with over 104,000 alumni members associated with it.
- After graduation, Laurier’s automatically become a part of the alumni network.
- An Alumni card has many benefits attached to it like having career services, access to pubs, discounts and other benefits at the library and other stores.
- Notable Alumni – Mike Lazaridis: Founder of Blackberry, Suresh Prabhu: Member of Rajya Sabha since 2016, Martin Lee Ka-shing: Co-chairman of Henderson Land Development, one of the largest property developers in Hong Kong.
In 2018-19, the Business and Economics department had a placement rate of 99.8%. There was a 98.7% employment rate for BBA program and a 100% employment rate for BA (Econ) program in 2017.
The University organizes various career fairs and seminars to encourage students and help them explore career options. Each year more than 900 employers recruit students for almost 4900 job positions every year. According to Maclean’s rankings, the University is #1 in terms of student satisfaction consistently for the last 3 years.
FIND A PROGRAM
Academy Ranking of World Universities
RANKED #101 - #150
RANKED #201 - #300
RANKED #301 - #400
After completing my B.tech from engineering college, I was looking for some foreign colleges for my masters. I was not interested in giving the GATE exam and also I was not interested in pursuing a research field so I chose to go for an MBA. Moreover, I chose Canada specifically because I have my relatives there. While going through the list of the colleges this was the only college that matched my preferences and even my bachelor's marks were good enough for it. So, I went for it and submitted my application through the OUAC application portal. The application fee for it was $125.
Course Curriculum :
The course is created by keeping in mind that industry standards and technology. There is less stress on the theories (through case studies of different businesses are explained in vivid detail) and more on the industrial side. We were encouraged to explore different career options and gain valuable employment experience before we graduate.
- Bus Station
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary