Mount Royal University (MRU) Calgary Courses, Rankings, Admission Criteria, Fee & Scholarships
Mount Royal University currently houses about 10,487 students. The campus of the University is located in Calgary, Alberta which is one of five most livable cities in the world making the University a preferred choice for studying in Canada. Over the years, it has maintained its place as one of Canada’s top universities in terms of both teaching and learning.
The university offers 12 degrees and 33 majors with an average class size of 31 students. These programs are offered through the faculties of art, business, communication, continuing education, health, community, education, and science and technology. Mount Royal University accepts admissions for the fall, spring and winter semesters. Out of the total student population, 1.8% is international students.
Mount Royal University Rankings
The university is a renowned name for higher education in Canada that ranks at the following positions:
|Program Type||Bachelor’s, certificate, diploma, transfer, CSL|
|No. of students||14,562|
|No. of campuses||1|
|On campus accommodation||Available|
|Intake seasons||Fall, Spring and winter|
|Cost of attendance||CAD 35,900|
Mount Royal University Campus
- Mount Royal University has a well-equipped campus which is a mini-city built for its students and faculty. International students are well accommodated and looked after at the institute.
- This university provides a library - Riddell Library and Learning Centre which was established in 2017. It has a seating capacity of 1,700 people. And comprises 34 study rooms, 3-D printing facilities, and a cafe.
- A parking facility for the students is also available on the campus. The security services on the campus provide a quick response to accidents, alarms and other such mishaps.
Mount Royal University Accommodation
- Mount Royal University provides accommodation to as many as 1,000 of its students in its apartments or townhouse units.
- The residential campus is distributed in two regions, namely: East residence – townhouses arranged in triads and West residence.
- Each room here has a bed, closet, garbage can, dresser and other similar amenities.
- Both the residences are just a few minutes' walks away from the university's major campus facilities.
Mount Royal University Courses
- Mount Royal University offers a range of courses for international students which contains 12 degrees along with 33 majors for students to choose from.
- They have over 35 programs divided amongst 6 faculties( art, science & technology, business, communication, continuing education, health & education).
- The university also offers 2-year long diploma courses. They also have one-year programs that’ll help upgrade skills or start a new career
- The institute also facilitates continuing education and several minors. Some of the minors have their specific prerequisites, which an applicant must satisfy to seek admission for that minor.
- Some of the programs are:
Program Tuition [1st term fees] Bachelor of Interior Design 16,425CAD Bachelor of Health and Physical Education - Athletic Therapy 16,425CAD Bachelor of Computer Science 16,425CAD Certificate Business Administration - Human Resources 16,425CAD
Mount Royal University Application Process
The detailed admission process for the university is as compiled below.
How to apply?
The university accepts applications in three categories: high-school applicants; post-secondary applicants and mature applicants. Start your application process by choosing a program and checking the admission requirements. Once you are sure about the program and are ready with the necessary documents, it is time to apply for admissions.
- Application portal: Apply Alberta
- Application fee (non-refundable): CAD 100
- International admission deadlines: Admission Deadlines Admission for international students takes place in the fall, winter, and spring.
Admission Deadlines Fall April 1, 2021 Winter November 1 Spring March 31, 2021
- Required documents: The following documents must be submitted with the application for admission:
- Official transcripts
- Proof for proficiency in the English language
- Program-specific requirements (if any)
Mount Royal University Cost of Attendance
For all the prospective candidates hoping to enroll at the institute in the upcoming sessional year, an estimated cost of living in Canada for the academic year 2019-20 is given below.
Mount Royal University Scholarships
- Mount Royal University offers a variety of scholarships in Canada for international students.
- The scholarship applications are available from October 1 and the application deadline is March 8.
- Students will be informed whether they have been awarded the scholarship or not around June or July.
- For entrance scholarships, prospective students are advised to apply for admission by the early admission deadline on February 1.
- The following table represents details of scholarships, no. of awards, eligibility criteria and amount awarded:
Application opens – October 1
Application deadline – March 8, 2020
|Award name||No. of awards||General requirements||Amount|
|For prospective students|
|President's Scholarships||25||Academic achievements, leadership and extracurricular activities||7,500 CAD (3,750 CAD for one semester)|
|Mount Royal Entrance Awards for Academic Excellence||variable||90% in the top two group A subjects ad 80% (average in five appropriate courses)||1,000 CAD|
|Other Mount Royal Entrance awards||More than 180||Varies depending on scholarship||6,000 CAD|
|In-course awards||Around 800||Varies depending upon program||6,000 CAD|
Mount Royal University Alumni Network
Mount Royal University has a strong alumni network with more than 105,000 alumni around the globe. The university showers its alumni with loads of benefits which include access to perks. The benefits include:
- MRU recreation
- Riddell library
- Optimal therapy
Among an ocean of gems of alumni the MRU has, the most notable are –
- The PropheC (Nealveer Chatha): Indo-Canadian producer, singer and song-writer.
- Kelly Oxford: Canadian author and screenwriter
- Kent Hehr: Canadian member of Parliament
- Harnarayan Singh: Sports announcer and Journalist
- Yuja Wang: Chinese Classical Pianist
Mount Royal University Placements
- 95% of the graduating students agree that Mount Royal is an inclusive and respectful place.
- 79% of the graduates are working in a position related to their program from which they graduated within a year of completing their program.
- University career service helps students to achieve their career and employment goals. They provide a variety of resources to the student by helping them in job searching, counseling, personalized services, employment resources, workshops and webinars, online career resources, and alumni relations.
FIND A PROGRAM
It has small class sizes, a great atmosphere, helpful professors, the school is located close to home, one of the few schools that offer my program I?m working towards, I love the people if you ever need help student or staff are there to help, the housing options were amazing and gave me many different options,
Course Curriculum :
I choose Mount Royal University for Bachelor of Communication-Journalism because one of my friends was studying here and he encouraged me to apply for this university because of its high placement rate, experienced faculty, and affordable tuition fees. Living here in Calgary is quite light on your pocket and the university provides financial aid through different means, like student loans, bursaries, scholarships, etc. which help us in paying our expenses. I applied for the program on the official website of the college, I also had to pay $100 as the application fee.
Course Curriculum :
The program is designed to teach us to think critically, learn the art of storytelling, and develop skills to write clear, compelling, and creative stories. During the entire duration of the course, we are taught to do photography, we do storytelling through audio-video and digital graphics. During the course, we get several opportunities to participate in prestigious writing and journalism competitions and showcase our talent on renowned platforms.
I opted for this college because it had a highly regarded reputation in the community, and it offered an online, as well as the fast-tracked version of the course I took. The application process was pretty standard and simple and the fees were also standard. My educational background includes completion of high school as well as another diploma program, Paralegal services, from the Nova Scotia Community College.
Course Curriculum :
The course curriculum was very thorough and very well laid out. It was based directly from the project management body of knowledge textbook.
It was a local college with the program I wished to participate in, ranked higher by students than other facilities. The cost was reasonable, and they had on-campus housing, which made it significantly feasible than other facilities.
Course Curriculum :
The course curriculum for the course that I took was everything I had hoped it would be. I did a fair amount of research prior to choosing the facility for the course I wanted, so I was aware of what to expect.
I chose this college because of its location, as well as the program choice. My school is located very close to me and also offers one of the best massage therapy programs in the entire city. They also have the option to go part time which I found to be very helpful.
Course Curriculum :
I think they try and make the students take on too much sometimes. Between clinics and outreaches and a 7 to 9 class course load, there's not a lot of rest time. The classes themselves are very good though, super in depth and you learn everything you need to.
- Shopping Mall
- Book Store
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary