NSCAD University (NSCAD) Halifax Courses, Rankings, Admission Criteria, Fees & Scholarships
One of Canada’s oldest cultural institutions, NSCAD, is an internationally recognized university of the visual arts. Areas of study at NSCAD include Art History and Critical Studies; Craft; Design; Fine Arts; and Media Arts.
The institution is regarded as one of the top principal centers for education and research in North America. NSCAD is the oldest post-secondary art school in Canada. It presently forms a community of internationally recognized artists, researchers, designers, and scholars. According to Webometrics, the university ranks at 113rd position in Canada.
|Location||Halifax, Nova Scotia|
|No. of Campuses||3|
|Mode of Program||Full-time/ Part-time|
|SAT/ ACT scores||Not required|
|Mode of Application||Online|
|Medium of Instruction||English|
|Admission Seasons||Fall and Winter|
NSCAD University Campus
- NSCAD University has three campuses located within Halifax's downtown core.
- The campus of NSCAD University is known for its exceptional architecture.
- The different campuses and departments within it have been discussed below:
The Fountain Campus
- The campus houses departments of Craft, Design, Fine Arts, and Media Arts.
The Port Campus
- It houses the Foundation, Craft, Design, and Fine Arts division.
- The campus covers a total area of 70,000 sq. ft.
The Academy Campus
- The campus houses the Media Arts division.
- Space is well equipped with all amenities including equipment for film production, edit suites, space for a studio, sound rooms, screening as well as animation room.
NSCAD University Residence
- NSCAD University does not provide on-campus residence facilities.
- Students of NSCAD University are offered residence halls facilities by Saint Mary’s University, University of King’s College, Granville Hall and Atlantic School of Theology.
- Detailed information about on-campus housing options at the above-mentioned universities are given below:
Saint Mary’s University
- Saint Mary’s University campus comprises three well-furnished residence buildings namely Loyola Residence, Rice Residence, and Vanier Residence.
- Students can also enjoy other conveniences such as Dockside Dining and Cafeteria, The Gorse brook Lounge, Patrick Power Library, Student Centre Cafeteria, Health Services, and much more.
- Students who have opted for housing at Loyola and Vanier residence must choose their meal plan.
University of King’s College
- Amenities available to students include choosing from four meal options, eight-month lease for stay, internet connection, well-furnished rooms with mini-fridge, etc.
Atlantic School of Theology
- The Atlantic School of Theology offers large and small single room accommodation for students with the lowest rates for university residence in Halifax.
- The residence will be provided access to AST’s library.
- Accommodation options include single and double rooms, apartments with a sitting room, kitchen, bathroom, and bedroom for parents with children. It also includes a shared kitchen and dining room for all residents on each floor.
- The Granville Hall offers off-campus living options for international students.
- Students can choose between single and double occupancy options.
- Each floor has common areas, washrooms, kitchen to provide complete comfort and a secured environment. Students can also choose from the meal option provided to them.
NSCAD University Courses
- NSCAD University provides undergraduate, graduate, and certificate programs in the fields of Art History, Contemporary Culture, Craft, Design, Fine Arts, and Media Arts.
- The University offers 6 types of programs that include Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Design, Bachelor of Fine Arts, Master of Design, Master of Fine Arts and Master of Arts.
- The University also offers 14 post-baccalaureate certificate programs to students.
- The institution is also developing plans for Winter 2021 programs which will be presented in the form of online, on-campus, and hybrid form.
NSCAD University Application Process
NSCAD University accepts applications from students all around the world. It must be noted that SAT or ACT scores are not required for admission to the University. Candidates who do not demonstrate satisfactory English proficiency scores will be offered conditional admission on taking pathway programs offered by the University’s partner Halifax language schools.
How to Apply?
The process for applying to NSCAD University has been discussed below:
Application Portal: Online Application
Application Fee: N/A
|Undergraduate||Fall (September) 2021 Entry – 01 May 2021|
|Graduates||Fall – 15 January 2021|
|Post Baccalaureate||Fall (September) – 01 March|
Admission Requirements: International applicants must satisfy the below-mentioned requirements to be eligible for admission to NSCAD University:
- Complete the online application form
- Submit completed writing assignment
- Original Letter of Acceptance to be submitted directly from the university
- Passport, Birth Certificate, or other identification proving you as the citizen of your native country.
- Certificate of Health examination
- Official academic transcripts or certificates/ results from the Ministry of Education or secondary school in the original language along with its English translation.
- Official exam results if taken from examination boards
- English Proficiency scores required for gaining admission for courses offered by NSCAD University. The table below shows English proficiency score requirements for undergraduate and graduate programs:
|Test||Requirements for Undergraduate program||Requirements for Graduate program|
|IB||5 in English A1 or A2 HL||5 in English A1 or A2 HL|
|AP||4 in English Language and Composition or Literature and Composition||4 in English Language and Composition or Literature and Composition|
NSCAD University Cost of Attendance
A detailed per credit hour cost for international undergraduate and graduate students at NSCAD University are given in the table below:
|Credit Hours||Fees (CAD)|
|Winter 2021 (Undergraduates)|
|Winter 2021 (Graduates)|
NSCAD University Scholarships/Financial Aid
- Students who apply for admission by the priority deadline on March 1 are automatically considered for Entrance Scholarships.
- The amount of scholarship ranges from 5,000 CAD to 6,000 CAD and is renewable up to 4 years that take the total award amount to 25,000 CAD.
- The University annually awards 100,000 CAD through scholarships and bursaries to almost 90% students.
- The various scholarship options available to students are as follows:
|Name of Scholarship||Eligibility Criteria||Amount Awarded|
|Undergraduate Entrance Scholarship||Awarded to entering freshmen who apply by March 1||500 – 8,000 CAD|
|Master of Fine Arts Awards and Scholarships||Awarded to each MFA student who has enrolled in the program.||13,000 CAD|
|The Robert Pope Foundation Scholarship||Awarded to graduate students for entering Fine and Media Arts||2,000 CAD|
|The Roloff Beny Foundation Scholarship||Awarded to graduate students for entering Fine and Media Arts along with a concentration in Photography||5,000 CAD|
|The Faculty Union of NSCAD||Awarded to graduate students for entering Fine and Media Arts or Craft programs.||1,000 CAD|
|The Joan Catherine DeWolfe Graduate Fellowship||Awarded to graduate students entering Canadian Fine and Media Arts or Craft programs.||2,000 CAD|
NSCAD University Alumni Network
NSCAD University presents a wide range of alumni benefits to its students from across the globe. The benefits include:
- Art Bar + Projects – An independently operated space by Alumni Association of NSCAD. This space promotes discussion and celebration of art and design at Halifax.
- Show your NSCAD Pride – The “I Am NSCAD” campaign provides logo services in varied types and sizes for social media, websites, email signatures, and more.
Some of the popular alumni of the university are as follows:
- Karen Crocker – Head of Wardrobe Karen Crocker, currently working with Queen Musical production
- Karin Jones – Multidisciplinary artist, currently works as an instructor at the Vancouver Community College’s Jewellery Art and Design Program serving as the Department Head.
- Letitia Fraser - Winner of RBC Emerging Artist Award for visual arts from Nova Scotia Talent Trust.
- Susanna Heller – Popular Artist whose paintings have been shipped to Toronto
NSCAD University Placements
The job bank of NSCAD University is responsible for offering student services that include a list of student job postings. Job Junction provides assistance to youth seeking jobs in Canada. It is a free service and offers the best employment information for students of the university.
COLLEGE STUDENT REVIEWS
|total faculty||full time||part time||graduate assistants|
QS World University
NSCAD offers an interdisciplinary university experience unlike any other art school in the country. After securing a GPA of 8, I did some research. I applied to this university as it was among the top universities in Canada. I was keen to get admitted here as I wanted to start my own business after the completion of my studies. I had applied to the university through an online application form for $70.
Course Curriculum :
My program of Fine Arts was internationally recognized as a standard qualification required to teach visual arts and craft at postsecondary educational institutions. The NSCAD MFA Program provided me with the opportunity to develop the work in a context of intense critical discussion. Pedagogy, Research/Creation, and other integral academic courses enhance the studio focus. We were selected for our capability as artists and craftspersons, our critical abilities, and the personal qualities and interests that might contribute to the successful scholars.
I always had a dream to study abroad and after completing my +2 I started searching for better colleges and courses available abroad. And, then I came to know about this college where I got a perfect course according to my interest i.e. Bachelor in Design. I also applied to 3-4 other colleges, but I found this one to be the best fit for me. I completed my registration online, the process of the application cost me $70.
Course Curriculum :
This course is all about having more practical knowledge. By using the latest designing techniques I am gaining analytical, visual, and collaborative skills. With this course curriculum, I am flourishing my skills in drawing, modeling, typography, digital layout skills, presentations, and communication skills. I am highly recommending this course to all my friends who want to embark on their careers in the design field.
- Shopping Mall
- Bus Station
- Book Store
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary