Royal Roads University: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
Royal Roads University was founded in 1987 to provide excellent quality, innovative, and relatively inexpensive post-secondary education to students all over the world in a carefully mapped out approach to build professional competence and personal advancement. The University is also noted as being one of the pioneers of the blended learning model in Canada and adapting to a unique post-graduation working environment in Canada.
It offers a variety of courses some of which include Business and Technology, Communication, humanitarian and interdisciplinary studies. The campus and training in professional courses give you an edge over personal transformation and community learning experience.
Royal Roads has a student to faculty ratio of about 12:1 which makes one to one interaction easier and thus offers quality education. Here are a few features which make the university unique and thus, ranking decently in the world ranking of universities.
- Ranked #1 public university in Canada for Active & Collaborative Learning (NSSE 2013).
- Ranked #1 public university in Canada for the level of academic challenge (NSSE 2013).
- Ranked #4604 public university in the world by Webometrics.
- Ranked #68 public university in Canada by Webometrics.
What do students have to say about Royal Roads?
- Best University for working professionals as it believes more in practical learning.
- It has a lot of group studies and teamwork which is quite a learning experience.
- Due to 12:1 faculty to student’s ratio, it is easy to approach the instructor and other students for any queries or help for which mostly all our ready.
|Type of university||Public|
|Faculty Members||52 full-time, 450 associate|
|Number of Undergraduate Seats||10,000|
|Number of International Students||1,036|
|Languages for Courses||English|
|Scores Accepted||GPA and Credit Scores|
- Royal Roads University is operated on 260 hectares of lush parkland campus located at 2005 Sooke Road, Victoria, British Columbia
- The campus site is situated at Hatley Park which is regarded as Canada's most beautiful, unparalleled, and scenic National Historic Sites which initially housed the former Royal Roads Military College (RRMC).
- The campus is characterized by parks adorned with an array of the oldest trees in the region, a lagoon, a rare bird sanctuary, hiking trails, walking paths, and a cool-flowing beach of the Pacific Ocean.
- Surrounding the campus is the west coast’s flora and fauna, gorgeous views of the Strait of Juan de Fuca, a stunning Japanese garden, and a castle built for one of Vancouver Island’s most recognized coal barons giving students and visitors an elegant sight to behold
- A few miles away from the campus is the majestic Olympic Mountains, which stretches across the USA/Canadian border
- RRU campus is designated as an Ashoka U Changemaker Campus due to its role as a leader and advocate for change and social innovation
- The Ashoka U Changemaker Campus Network – (an initiative of Ashoka, the largest network of social entrepreneurs in the world) is a global community of over 40 universities and colleges poised in advancing social innovation and change-making.
- Food services on campus are organized by the Habitat Café which offers exceptional cuisine in a casual environment.
- All fully registered university students have free access membership to the Royal Roads Recreation Centre.
- Royal Roads University offers affordable, comfortable, and convenient on-campus accommodation for students on short-term residency but does not offer long-term on-campus accommodations for students.
- Students undertaking a full-time program need to find off campus housing for the duration of studies. However, international students just arriving campus can apply for a 2 weeks temporary campus accommodation
- Millward and Nixon buildings with 147 dorm and 33 ensuite rooms provide temporary residency for students and visitors on campus. These buildings are within a short walking distance to classrooms, Hatley castle and the Habitat Cafe
- The types of rooms in Millward and Nixon buildings are dorms and ensuite which include private single, and double rooms, apartment-style, or dormitory-style suites with shared bathroom or kitchen
- The nearby Habitat Café meets the meal needs of the students as it offers a variety of meals for purchase every day of the week
- Temporary Residency fees are forwarded to the student account and required to be paid online within seven business days
- Residency Fees and Rates are presented below:
- Dorm Room – 30 CAD per day
- En-suite – 45 CAD per day
- Linen Services – 10 CAD per week (optional)
- Administration fee – 30 CAD
- The school also offer assistance to students in undergraduate, graduate and custom program, visitors, and faculty in locating off-campus accommodation
- International Homestay accommodation is also available for international students in Royal Roads University
- However, due to COVID-19 pandemic and courses being solely offered online, residency at Royal Roads University is unavailable until further notice
- Royal Roads University offers over 70 programs in areas of interest like a business, leadership studies, executive education, humanitarian studies, Education and Technology, Interdisciplinary studies, etc
- Royal Roads University also offer General Studies and successful students of the program may be eligible to transfer credit toward a diploma, certificate, or degree upon formal admission to a program
- RRU is the first Canadian University to offer applied research doctorate, and exceptional certificate and diploma programs.
- Lectures are delivered on-campus, online or a blend of the two
- RRU’s professional graduate and applied undergraduate degree programs are delivered in a progressive model of education
- Professional and Continuing Studies program at RRU offers students a real-world education with the opportunities to effect change in their immediate environment
- Other non-credit programs offered in RRU include academic support, personal enrichment, green learning, and free talks
- Global Learning and Language Centre (GLLC) at RRU offers English as a Second Language (ESL) and academic pathways for international students who do not have English language proficiency test result
International students seeking admissions at the University can follow the below-mentioned admission details:
Application portal: Online Application
Application fee: 123.81 CAD for Undergraduate, Graduate, and Certificate Programs while 29.13 CAD for General Studies Courses
- Official Secondary (High School) Transcripts
- Personal Statement
- English Language Test
- All Post-secondary school Official Transcripts
- 500-1000 word Statement of Intent
- Letters of Reference
- Detailed Resume
- GMAT/ GRE
- English Language Test
- International credential evaluation
- Application deadlines vary by programs and admission capacity may be filled up before the deadline; therefore applicants are advised to apply early.
- It is pertinent to note that it may take several months in some countries to obtain the permit for the processing of visa, thus, international applicants are advised to apply about six months before the application deadlines
English Language Test
All applicants whose first language is not English are required to demonstrate proficiency in the English language by possessing one of the following test results.
|PTE – Academic||60||68|
Note: Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Royal Roads University will accept the TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition, IELTS Indicator, and Duolingo English Test (DET) as evidence of English language proficiency until further notice. However, an official English Language test score (as stated above) is required from students who are offered conditional admission before the start of their program
For exemption from English language requirements, applicants must have:
- Graduated from a university where English was used as the primary language of instruction in an English-speaking country
- Completed the Global Learning and Language Centre (GLLC) pathway program
Cost of Attendance
For international candidates aspiring to study at the university, it is mandatory to have an estimate of the cost of living in Canada to survive comfortably in a foreign land. The estimated cost of attendance is presented below:
|Fees||Undergraduate (CAD)||Graduate (CAD)|
|Tuition||23,040 – 41,580||23,040 – 52,440|
|Student Services Fee||214.32 – 260.84||278.83 - 330.38|
|Learning Support Services||258.93 – 517.18||258.93 - 472.87|
|Student Association (RRUSA) Fee||200||-|
|Extended Health & Dental Benefit||315||-|
|U-Pass (Universal Bus Pass)||211||-|
|Special Function Fee||-||122.77 -419.56|
|Tuition Installment Fee||123.81||247.62|
|Total||24,363.06 – 43,207.83||26,432.63 – 56,394.90|
- Several forms of financial aid are available to international students willing to study in Canada.
- Royal Roads offers a plethora of modest and high-valued awards and scholarships to students quarterly
- Freshmen are considered for entrance scholarships primarily based on competitions held four times a year before the resumption of classes with deadlines on 1st February, 1st May, 1st August, and 1st November
- In-course (Program) scholarships are available to students based on essay competition results
- Examples of entrance and in-course awards available to international students are:
- Asper Foundation Communications Award worth 5,000 CAD
- Budh Singh and Kashmir Kaur Dhahan Award worth 5,000 CAD
- Changing Lives Award worth 7,000 CAD
- Commerce Alumni Scholarship worth 500 – 2,000 CAD
- Development and Social Change Award worth 1,000 – 4,000 CAD
- Laura and Mike de Jonge Award worth 5,000 CAD
- In addition to the internal awards and scholarships, there are numerous external award opportunities students can benefit from. These awards may be from corporate organizations, NGO’s, student’s home country, etc
- Examples of external scholarships and awards are:
- Bullitt Environmental Fellowship worth 50,000 CAD
- Dalton Camp Award worth 10,000 CAD
- IBD Scholarship worth 5,000 CAD
- Irving K. Barber Premier's International Scholarship worth 6,000 CAD to 10,000 CAD
- Mattinson Scholarship Program for Students with Disabilities worth 2,000 CAD
- Student Research Scholarships are provided to graduate research students to aid. Examples of such scholarships are:
- Aboriginal Ambassadors in the Natural Sciences and Engineering Award worth 5,000 CAD
- Mackenzie King Scholarship worth 8,500 – 10,500 CAD
- Michael Smith Foreign Study Supplement worth 6,000 CAD
- Mitacs Globalink Graduate Fellowships (GGF) worth 10,000 CAD
Benefits of the Alumni Network
- Learning about exclusive job opportunities and events
- Networking with former classmates
- Growing network and advancing career in our global alumni community
- Career Support
- Inspiration and lifelong learning
Notable alumni of the institution include:
- Liu Yi-Hsin - Taiwanese entertainer
- Laurel Collins – Politician
- Jim Kyte - Canadian ice hockey player
- The Royal Roads University offers career and placement assistance to its students and alumni through its Career Learning and Development Centre.
- Several workshops and events for resume building, interviews, and the like required for the placements in the future are also organized for the students.
- The university also organizes various career fairs to help students get Job/Internship opportunities and networking.
- The university also allows students to work while studying and helps them gain work experience while staying on the campus itself.
- The university also has an online job portal named CareerRoads through which students can access job listings.
- According to payscale, the average salary of RRU graduates and alumni is 70,009 CAD per year.
- Tabulated below are the average salaries by Job Profiles of RRU graduates according to PayScale:
|Job Profile||Average Salary in CAD|
|Director of Operations||119k|
|Chief Executive Officer (CEO)||138k|
|Human Resources (HR) Manager||90k|
|Human Resources (HR) Director||118k|
|Project Coordinator, (Unknown Type / General)||55k|
|Project Manager, (Unspecified Type / General)||85k|
Royal Roads University FAQs
Ques. What is the average salary of Royal Roads University graduates?
Ans. According to payscale, the average salary of RRU graduates and alumni is 70,009 CAD per year.
Ques. What is Royal Roads University known for?
Ans. It is known for its on-campus and online cohort-based programs and customized training for the global workplace.
Ques. How many students attend Royal Roads University?
Ans. Home to nearly 20,000 students, RRU has over 550 international students enrolled.
Ques. What are fields of study at Royal Roads University?
Ans. Undergraduate and Graduate degree programs at Royal Roads University are offered in the fields of Business, Communication & Culture, Education & Technology, Environment & Sustainability, Executive Education, General Studies, Humanitarian Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Leadership Studies, Professional & Continuing Studies, and Tourism & Hospitality.
Ques. What is the postgraduate tuition fee range for the students at Royal Roads University?
Ans. The postgraduate tuition fee range for the students at Royal Roads University is 23,040 – 52,440 CAD
Ques. Does Royal Roads University offer financial aid options?
Ans. Yes, the university offers loans, awards, scholarships, and several other funding options. Besides scholarships, international students are also given merit-based awards, bursaries, government-based scholarships, and funds.
Ques. Does the university offer housing facilities for the students?
Ans. Yes, the university offers housing facilities. It also helps the students to find out off-campus residence options.
Ques. Is there any admission helpdesk whom I can contact?
Ans. Students can contact the university through email@example.com or through fax at 250.391.2623.
QS World University
The program was interdisciplinary and applied. In addition, it was designed for working professionals and delivered distanced (for the full program or majority of it) so students could work and didn't have to stay in Victoria throughout their study period.
Course Curriculum :
The whole Royal Roads pedalogy is based in applied education and research so there were a lot of integration with the real world. Instructors all had current or significant experience in non-academic positions.
Gave me the opportunity to use my previous work experience as a qualifying factor as I had a large gap in education
Course Curriculum :
It is a very relevant course for business professionals with multiple completion options
Affiliation with the government provided bases for genuineness and good repute. Unique program and preferred courses entailing the same, along with affordability helped make up my mind for this University.
Course Curriculum :
It's a well stitched course with lots of flexibility availed for students with certain course preferences based on their career progression.
1. I was accepted for masters program in a University without GMAT. 2. The length of my program was just 18 months. 3. I was eligible for direct admission and it wasn't required to take any pre masters course. 4. After completion of this course, students receive 3 years of PGWP. 5. The university is situated at one of the most beautiful places of the country.
Course Curriculum :
Royal Roads is not a big university and the courses are limited here. It is also considered as the young university which is still trying to expand its operations. The campus is one of the beautiful campuses in the Canada because the university is situated on a national historic site. The Master of Global Management (MGM) is one of the famous course among the international student. This course has various subjects from different areas of subjects and the university decides what courses student should study so, students are not provided with the option to choose their own subjects. Some these courses are not updated as per the current market demand. I believe that the subjects should include more practical exposure related to current market situation.
I had applied online along with the application fee and I had requested my school to send all my transcripts in a sealed envelope to RRU. But before that I had ensured that my school courses were evaluated by an evaluation agency.
Course Curriculum :
My program courses were excellent and I learnt a lot of skills on how to turn business ideas into an actual reality. Mine was an intensive 2 year blended program with both on campus and online classes where , we learnt - critical thinking, problem solving and key communication skills.
- Bus Station
- Shopping Mall
- Book Store
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary