Selkirk College: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
Established in 1966, the Selkirk College has crowned itself as an innovative and opportunistic center. Since its inaugural, the College has had a history of providing quality education to both residential as well as international scholars and is undoubtedly one of the coveted higher education institutes of Canada
Regarded as the oldest regional community college located in Kootenays, British Columbia, Canada, the college offers Post-Secondary Certificates, Diplomas, and Associate degrees in various programs for aspirants across the globe seeking to study in Canada. It also has a school of University Arts and Sciences which offers over 100 university Arts and Science courses to prepare students for their Bachelor’s degree.
Owing to its international engagement, more than 34 countries are directly represented at the college campus. According to a survey, 89% of students are highly inspired by the faculty interaction with the students. The Student Engagement Survey 2018 also revealed that 76% of students had admissions at Selkirk College as their priority admission. All such achievements in such a short span mark the institute as a reputed one in the nation.
Selkirk College Highlights
|Annual Endowment||75 Million CAD|
|Academic Calendar||Semester Based|
|% Of International Students||More Than 10%|
|Programs Offered||Undergraduate, Graduate, Online|
|Campus Housing Capacity||500/Building|
|Student To Faculty Ratio||15: 1|
|English Proficiency Test||TOEFL/IELTS|
|Financial Aid||Scholarships, Loans, Grants|
Selkirk College Students intake in numbers
|Full time students||2,370|
|Part time students||10,000|
|International full-time students||311|
Selkirk College Campus
- The Selkirk College Campus is located in British Columbia and spread across 6 campuses and 2 learning centers which include:
- Castlegar Campus
- Tenth Street Campus
- Victoria Street Campus
- Silver King Campus
- Trail Campus
- Grand Fork Campus
- Kaslo Learning Center
- Nakusp Learning Center
- The main campus of Castlegar is gifted with a confluence of Kootenay and Columbia rivers making the campus a destined location for students.
- The Selkirk College has a centralized library in Castlegar Campus which has more than 5000 historical collections
- The College conducts a number of recreational activities on campus such as gymnasium, football, basketball, volleyball and many other students get together.
Selkirk College Housing facilities/Residence
- The Selkirk College provides accommodation within 5 minute walk from the classes and libraries.
- The accommodation is offered on campus in student housing located at:
- Kekuli House, Castlegar
- Tenth Street, Nelson
- For Kekuli House, the application process begins in January with non-refundable fees of 50 CAD.
- Facilities included are:
- Bedroom dimensions: 13’ x 10’ (Standard)
- Single bed with 3 drawers
- Study table and chair
- Shared bathroom
- AC control
- Large Half Fridge
- For Tenth Street House, the application process is applicable to students opting at least 50% courses in Selkirk College. The application fee of 50 CAD is chargeable.
Selkirk College Programs
- The Selkirk College courses for international students in more than 150 areas of interest.
- The College enrolls students for undergraduate, graduate, doctoral and online programs.
- Selkirk College offers Certificates, Diplomas, Degrees, Associate Degrees, University Transfers and post-graduate diplomas to international students in over around 60 programs. The School of University Arts and Sciences offers over 100 courses for students to choose from.
- The programs taken up by the College are:
- Environment and Geomatics
- Hospitality and Tourism
- Human Services
- Industry and Trade Services
- Peace and Justice Studies
- Arts and Sciences
- Some of the highly acclaimed courses offered are Biochemistry, Anthropology, Forest Technology, Pharmacy Technician and Philosophy
- International students can also choose English Language Program and Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages
Selkirk College Application Process
Application portal: Applicants must apply for the international admissions via the online portal hosted by the College on the official website
Application Fee: Applicants have to submit 100 CAD as part of online registration non-refundable fee.
Application Deadline: The Selkirk College is very strict for online applications when it comes to deadlines. Hence, applicants are advised to follow the below mentioned guideline
Here are a few common steps that one has to follow to fill in the application form.
- Visit the official website of Selkirk College and follow each step
- Select the program you want to pursue depending on your interests, eligibility, study plan et al. And check admission requirements.
- Take the College Readiness Tool by signing up for it on the website
- For applying one can either
- Sign up for a new account at EducationPlannerBC at and fill online application OR
- Download the application, print and complete the application and submit at one of the campuses
- Non-refundable application fee to be paid is CAD 100.
- Submit all previous transcripts and letters of reference to the College.
Selkirk College Application Deadlines
APPLICATION DOCUMENTS: Once the conditional offer letter is received, students shall submit the following set of Notarized Documents (with seal of authenticity)
- Official transcripts of the high school or equivalent previous school attended.
Selkirk College English Language Proficiency Requirement
Test score of the English Proficiency Test taken by the applicant. Below mentioned are the cutoff marks for accepted English Proficiency Test scores:
|English Proficiency Test||Minimum Accepted Score|
Selkirk College Cost of Attendance
- The payment of the semester must be made by the students before the first day of academic term.
- For payment methods cash, cheque, money order, bank draft, credit as well as debit cards are accepted
- The annual fees of courses vary with each other. Below mentioned is the estimated cost of living in Canada when enrolled at the institute:
|MANDATORY FEES||531.24 CAD|
|STUDENT UNION FEES||432 CAD|
|BOOKS AND SUPPLIES||2,494.99 CAD|
Selkirk College Scholarships/ Financial Aid
- The Selkirk College grants a number of scholarships in Canada for international students
- The applications for Bursary scholarships are open from middle September to early October
- Some of the high paying scholarships include:
- Name: Entrance Scholarships
- Amount Awarded: 1,000 CAD
- Name: Selkirk College Scholarships
- Amount Awarded: 500 CAD
- Name: Bursary Scholarships
- Amount Awarded: 500 CAD
Work After Graduation
One can work post their graduation after obtaining a work permit. The post-graduation work permit is valid for the same duration as that of the last study program you have completed. Students have to fulfil the following conditions.
- Must have been a full-time student in Canada
- Completed with a study program with minimum duration of 8 months
- Apply for the work permit within 90 days of receiving a document declaring completion of studies.
- Must have a valid study permit.
Selkirk College Alumni Network
Selkirk College is home to some notable alumni as mentioned below:
- Kiesa Rae Ellestad professionally known as Kiesza: Singer and multi-instrumentalist
- Mitch Merrett: Record producer
The Alumni Association of Selkirk College looks after the Alumni relations of the College. The Alumni Association releases its official newsletter named StayConnected
They get several benefits such as free library passes, bus services and discounts across campus facilities.
FIND A PROGRAM
|total faculty||full time||part time||graduate assistants|
Because of affordable fees, it has the lowest fee as compared to other colleges
Course Curriculum :
Course curriculum is always up-to-date with the current changing economy. And its also the same at other colleges
I chose this college due to its low population and low tuition fees
Course Curriculum :
It is a smooth easy going course, there wasn’t much industrial exposure however it is easy to get one on one time with the instructor
Because it completes my pre- requisite for CPA.
Course Curriculum :
It is easy if you have done Bachelors in India.
I wanted to pursue a career in the field of creative writing. But I also wanted to have international exposure as I believe that we learn a lot from our peers and hence I decided to take up a course abroad. During the college hunting period, I came across Selkirk College and immediately loved the program they offered along with the ambiance and diversity and I decided to apply. I paid an application fee of $100.
Course Curriculum :
The course was designed to deliver essential skills to us like critical thinking, concise writing, research, diagnosis, creative solutions, synthesizing ideas, revision, analysis, etc. These skills helped us build a better career for ourselves.
I choose this college because I did my 12th in business and this college is one of the best colleges for business students. It is a government recognized college located in a small and beautiful city. There are very fewer requirements for admission to this college and it is one of the cheapest colleges in Canada for business students.
I opted for this program because I did my all previous education in the field of business and I want to get higher international education in the same field. I want to open my own business in my country. After doing this course in Canada, I will get an opportunity to work in this field in an international country. So that's why I choose this program.
- Bus Station
- Super Market
- Shopping Mall
- Book Store
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary