Saint Mary's University (SMU) Halifax Courses, Rankings, Admission Criteria, Fee & Scholarships
Saint Mary’s University is a public institute located in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. It has more than 7000 students representing about 115 countries. It is also the second-largest research institute in Nova Scotia based on funding which makes it a renowned choice for higher education in Canada.
Saint Mary’s University offers admissions to Bachelor’s and Masters Degrees along with Certificates & Diplomas in the fields of Liberal Arts, Business and Accounting, Science, Engineering, and Environmental studies. The university is an affordable option for international students willing to study in Canada and offers financial aids worth 5 million CAD each year. Saint Mary’s University offers a special International Student Career & Employability Certificate (INC) Program to help senior level students transition from university to a professional environment in Canada. It also helps students to volunteer in local businesses to hone up their employment skills while completing their academic courses.
Saint Mary’s University Rankings
The institute has been ranked by a range of ranking agencies across the globe. The following are the university’s ranking according to CWUR:
|World||National||Alumni Employment rank||Research Performance rank|
|Percentage of International Students||29%|
|Total number of full-time and part-time students||7,000|
|Average Class size||40|
|Academic Programs Offered||Undergraduate, Graduate, Co-op Education, Extended Learning, Online Learning, Certificates, and Diplomas|
|Total Undergraduate Tuition for International Students (per-course)||1,906- 2,115 CAD|
|Total Graduate Tuition for International Students (per-course)||1,288- 2,000 CAD|
Saint Mary’s University Campus
- The campus of Saint Mary’s University is in the beautiful city of Halifax in Nova Scotia, at the east coast of Canada.
- The campus is within a single city block and has 11 significant buildings constructed over the years.
- There are more than 45 student societies divided into five different classes like academic, social and cultural, political or religious, and media.
Saint Mary’s University Accommodation
- Saint Mary’s University offers residential facilities to students who can also enjoy other campus facilities like laundry services, salons, health services, access to bookstores, ATMs, cafes and lounges, etc. as a resident.
- All the residential apartments are fully-furnished and different apartments are allotted to single students, families and graduate students, and senior students.
- Meal plans are optional for senior students and graduate residents as senior and graduate or family apartments come with a kitchen.
- Saint Mary’s provides special accommodation facilities to students with disabilities through the Fred Smithers Centre.
Saint Mary's University Courses
- Saint Mary’s University offers 44 undergraduate courses, 27 graduate courses, 9 certificates and diplomas, and 5 continuing education courses.
- The popular undergraduate fields where notable excellence has been achieved are Liberal Arts, Science and Engineering, Environmental Science, and Business.
- Astrophysics students can have access to Burke Gaffney Observatory and students pursuing Arts has the opportunity to study unique courses like International Development Studies, Criminology, Asian Studies, and Atlantic Canada Studies.
|Program||Fees [1st term]|
|Bachelor of Science [B.Sc.] Computing Science||13,987CAD|
|Graduate Diploma [Grad. Dip.] Management||8,295CAD|
|Master of Finance [M.Fin]||33,732CAD|
|Master Of Business Administration [M.B.A]||31,226CAD|
Saint Mary’s University Application Process
Students must make sure that they have all the required documents ready with them while applying in St. Mary’s University
- All academic and language test transcripts must be submitted in sealed envelopes directly from the issuing authority.
- Recommendation forms for postgraduate students to be submitted to the University Admissions office directly from the referee in a sealed envelope.
Application link for international students - Online Application Link
- Application fee - 40 CAD and graduate applicants – 110 CAD
- Student class profile –
- Total number of students – 7000
- Percentage of international students – 29%
- Standardized test scores – IELTS – 6.5 (minimum 6.0 as individual score), TOEFL – 550 (paper-based)/ iBT - 80 (with a minimum band score of 20), PTE – 58
- Supporting documents – Official transcripts, visa/study permit and passport, Official report of English Language Proficiency Test scores (for international students), Recommendation form and supplemental form (for Graduate students)
Saint Mary’s University Cost of Attendance
For international candidates aspiring to study at the university, it is mandatory to have an estimate of the cost of living in Canada to survive comfortably in a foreign land. The list of basic expenses to be considered for applying for admission at the institute is as detailed below.
|Type of Expenditure||Domestic||International Students|
|Tuition Fees||$6,860- $7,200||$14,750|
|Ancillary Fees||$1,228- $1,428||$1,228- $1428|
|Books & Supplies||$1,800||$1,800|
|Total||$9,888 - $10,228||$17,778- $17, 978|
Single/Double room Apartment + kitchen
6300 CAD- 8000 CAD
Senior apartments (single)
7650 CAD- 8000 CAD
Saint Mary’s University Scholarships for International students
- Saint Mary’s University offers a range of scholarships in Canada for international students including more than 250 scholarships and bursaries worth 7.69 Million CAD. The deadline to apply for Entrance Scholarships is March 1.
- Some of the popular scholarships are -
- Academic Achievement Scholarship worth 1000 CAD to 3500 CAD
- Accounting Achievement Award worth 1000 CAD
- Presidential/Presidential International Baccalaureate/Santamarian Scholarships worth 5000 CAD to 9000 CAD each year, renewable over 4 years
- TD Insurance Alumni Scholarship worth 1500 CAD per year, renewable up to 4 years
- Financial need-based bursaries worth 200 CAD to 500 CAD are awarded to students who demonstrated financial need.
- Students can apply for scholarships and bursaries through the Aids and Awards page from the official university website and find the available awards.
- Full-time students also have the opportunity to participate in student employment programs by applying through the Student Employment Program Application portal and submit documents at Cover Letter and Resume Upload Link.
- Saint Mary’s University has a huge network of 50,000 alumni around the world.
- The alumni association also offers awards like Young Alumnus of the Year, Associate Alumnus of the Year, Distinguished Community Services Award, etc.
- Some of the distinguished alumni of Saint Mary’s University are –
- Rania Llewellyn - Senior vice president of Commercial Banking and Growth Strategy at Scotiabank
- James Curleigh - President of Levis® brand
- Irwin Simon - President and CEO of Hain Celestial Group
- Alan Abraham - Former Lieutenant Governor of Nova Scotia
- Robert P. Kelly - former CEO of the Bank of New York Mellon
Saint Mary’s University Placements
- University has its career center and services that help students by career counseling, resume and job search support, co-curricular record, employment engagement, service learning, and co-operative education.
- It also organizes several career fairs for students to interact with recruiters, such as Accounting and Finance career fair, Summer Job Fair, Volunteer Fair, and Halifax Universities career fair.
- The average salary of MBA graduates from Sobey School of Business of Saint Mary’s University is 90,000CAD.
FIND A PROGRAM
|total faculty||full time||part time||graduate assistants|
To be honest I never heard about SMU before. I choose this because my supervisor is one of the best in the field. I guess that was the only reason for my M.Sc. in SMU. I am doing P.hd. at the same university primarily because I have done M.Sc. in the same field. The other reasons are the Halifax (a city where is a university) is a beautiful and quiet place to live. I choose this program because it has a combination of all the aspects I am interested in like programming, hands-on work, and lots of physics and experimental devices involved.
The best thing about Canadian universities is the options available for courses. I had the option to register for any course for any Canadian university and my university will waive the fee for that course. So I took all the courses from UBC and SMU paid for all the courses from my tuition fees. In research experience, SMU doesn't have any dedicated Lab for physics. I heard they have a nice lab for chemistry and biology. To do my research work I had to visit other labs that were the only drawback I experienced so far.
I wanted to apply for a college that supports innovation and encourages the students to think out of the box. I was very much inspired by the stories of the budding entrepreneurs and startups and wanted a supportive environment that encourages by providing mentorship and tools to work on one's idea. So Sobey school was one of the colleges I applied for and I got selected. I completed my application on the university website, the application fee cost me $40.
My college has a unique course curriculum. They are able to produce excellent business leaders through their uniquely designed curriculum. The courses taught to us provides us with a strong foundation in general business knowledge and skills. We are even able to apply what we learn into real business challenges through case competitions, co-op placements, and volunteer opportunities.
St Mary's University was suggested to me by a friend who has also been pursuing education at this university before I enrolled. She recommended their physics program and after researching the institute myself I decided to go for it. Since I had above-average marks in my high school graduation and TOEFL exam, I was offered an admission easily. To apply for this college I had to submit an application form online and for that, I paid $40.
Bachelor of Science program is known for the number of research opportunities available for undergraduate students. Those studying areas of green chemistry are able to make use of the green roof research facilities of the new Atrium and Global Learning Commons while Astrophysics students spend time in the Burke Gaffney Observatory on campus.
Grades are already a leading cause of stress for college students For me, taking more than one science, math and foreign language requirement means fewer courses that could benefit my education. I remember more from the first mass communication class I took at Tarrant County College six semesters ago than I do from the statistics course I scraped through just two months ago. I could have saved myself the stress and used those wasted hours on a film production class instead.
The criminology program, the campus size and the reputation of the school. Also because of its location, it is very central and the tuition costs are fairly low compared to many other universities near me.
I think it is great, the professors are very knowledgeable and are really passionate about what they teach.
- Bus Station
- Book Store
- Shopping Mall
- Train Station
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary