University of Winnipeg Winnipeg Courses, Rankings, Admission Criteria, Fee & Scholarships
Located in Winnipeg, Canada, University of Winnipeg is a public research university enrolling over 9,600 students with 1250 being international students aspiring to study in Canada. The University of Winnipeg operates a dynamic campus and a downtown hub that serves as a bridge for connecting people from different cultures and backgrounds. The university is accredited by the Department of Education and Training, Manitoba. Some unique programs are offered at the University including Bachelor of Arts in Human Rights, and a Master’s degree in Development Practice with a focus on Indigenous Development. Besides, it is also the only university in Canada to have on-site high school teaching grades 9, 10, 11 and 12.
Being lightly selective with the acceptance rate of 60-70%, University of Winnipeg does not have a very strenuous application procedure and candidates meeting the general basic requirement with good grades can easily get admission at this university. Boosting an active alumni network of 50,000 alumni in all field of science and arts across the globe, the university has been home to some eminent personalities including David Bergen (Scotiabank Giller Prize Winning author), Susan Ann Thompson (1st female mayor of Winnipeg), Lloyd Axworthy (Former Minister of Foreign Affair).
|No. of campuses||1|
|No. of residence halls||2|
|Total student population||9415 undergraduates; 269 graduates|
|% of international students||12.6%|
|Average class size||37|
University of Winnipeg Campus
- There are 23 main campus buildings on the university’s campus in Winnipeg, Manitoba.
- University of Winnipeg library collections hold over 750,000 items including videos, books, microfiche, and periodicals.
- Students of the University participate in men's and women's volleyball and basketball teams, and a women's soccer team. These students represent the university in the national U Sports competitions.
- The University of Winnipeg Students' Association (UWSA) has a strength of over 10,000 students.
- The University also has a state-of-the-art Axworthy Health and RecPlex building that provides indoor soccer services and recreation programs as well as researches and student practicum opportunities in education, kinesiology, and applied health.
University of Winnipeg Residence
- There are two residence halls at the university called McFeetors Hall and Balmoral Houses.
- Amenities include microwave, fridge, common areas, lounges, study areas, televisions, 24-hour security, air conditioners, kitchen (shared), living room, laundry, storage area, and front and back yards with deck, barbeque, and benches.
- There are accessible single dorms designed to accommodate the accessibility of wheelchairs.
- Residence halls also have meal plans to suit the needs of students.
University of Winnipeg Courses
- There are 54 undergraduate, 10 graduate programs, and 2 graduate certificates programs offered at the University of Winnipeg.
- There are four joint masters programs with the University of Manitoba in History, Public Administration, Religious Studies, Peace and Conflict Studies.
- There are 15 pre-professional undergraduate programs and 11 active undergraduate Applied & Joint Programs with Red River College.
- The University also offers Professional, Applied, and Continuing Education (PACE) programs. These are hybrid programs that blend the best of online and in-class learning experiences.
- The University offers the English Language Program (ELP). The ELP is a certificate program that enhances the English language proficiency of students.
- The Collegiate at the University is the only high school within a Canadian University offering studies at the Grade 9, 10, 11, and 12 levels.
University of Winnipeg Application Process
University of Winnipeg admissions for international students are open for fall, winter and spring semester. It is best to apply at least 3 to 4 months before the start of term. The University accepts late applications but it does not guarantee a seat in the term applied for.
How to Apply?
Students can complete applications online or if they have problems with internet access then they can contact the admission office for a paper application. The process for admission has been described below:
Application portal: University of Winnipeg online application
Application fee: 120 CAD
Application Deadlines: Fall – June 1; winter – October 1; spring – March 1
Admission Requirements: The requirements for admission to the university are as follows:
- High school certificate with at least 30 Manitoba high school credits or its equivalent; Bachelor degree or its recognized equivalent for graduate applicants
- Letter(s) of recommendation (if required)
- Scanned passports and study permits
- Letter of interest
- Essay or writing sample
The minimum requirements for English language proficiency are as follows:
|IELTS||IELTS Academic - overall score of 6.5 IELTS
Indicator - overall score of 7.0. Accepted while in-country IELTS testing is suspended.
|TOEFL||86 with nothing lower than 20 in each element.
MyBest Scores may be considered.
Paper-delivered test results that are offered from October 2017 will be reviewed on an individual basis.
|Duo lingo||115 (accepted on a trial basis for Fall and Winter intake 2020-2021)|
|English language Program||C+ in Academic Writing Part 1 and 2|
|CAEL and CAEL-CE||60|
University of Winnipeg Cost of Attendance
The cost of attendance for University of Winnipeg comprises the tuition fee and cost of living in Canada. The tuition fee for programs at the University varies for domestic and international students. These can be found in the table below:
|Subject Area||Domestic student fee (3 credits)||International student fee (3 credits)|
|Arts||394 CAD||1470 CAD|
|Business||422 CAD||1860 CAD|
|Education||394 CAD||1500 CAD|
|Kinesiology||394 CAD||1560 CAD|
|Science||455 CAD||1770 CAD|
Other expenses incurred by international students include:
|Fees||Amount per annum (in CAD)|
|Books and supplies||1,000|
|Housing and meals||8,000-15,000|
University of Winnipeg Scholarships/Financial Aid
- There are 53 new entrance scholarships for first-time, international students, at the University of Winnipeg.
- Scholarships are awarded to individuals who have a minimum 80% average, leadership qualities and are enrolled in undergraduate, graduate, collegiate, ELP or PACE programs.
- The University has made available more than 5.7 million CAD in scholarships, awards, and bursaries in 2018-2019 sessions to students.
- Financial aids that international students qualify for are scholarships, grants, student jobs, and external aids.
- Financial aid available to international students include:
|Scholarship Name||Eligibility Criteria||Amount Awarded|
|University of Winnipeg President’s Scholarship for World Leaders (for International Students)||Must have a minimum of 80% admission average or its equivalent;
must also be involved in activities that demonstrate leadership.
|University of Winnipeg Graduate Studies Scholarship (UWGSS)||Minimum GPA of 3.75 in the last 60 credits hours of study; Be entering the first or second year of an eligible master’s program in May or September of the current year or January of the next year; Be enrolled as a full-time student in a master’s program.||15,000 CAD|
|President’s Distinguished Graduate Student Scholarship||Be entering the first or second year of an eligible master’s program in May or September of the current year or January of the next year; Be enrolled as a full-time student in a master’s program.||17,500 CAD|
University of Winnipeg Alumni Network
University of Winnipeg’s alumni association has more than 50,000 active members in the field of business, politics, athletics, law, arts etc. Alumni benefits include:
- Career services and professional development information from the alumni association
- Networking opportunities with other alumni
- Unique library access and services
- Discounts on PACE programs, fitness center memberships, Virtuosi concerts, and the University of Winnipeg Club
Notable alumni include:
- Dr. Annette Trimbee - Vice-Chancellor and current President of The University of Winnipeg
- David Bergen -Giller-Prize winning author
- Kevin Lamoureux -Member of the House of Commons of Canada
- Lisa Codrington –Canadian actress
- Hon. Kevin Chief, Manitoba Minister of Children and Youth Opportunities
University of Winnipeg Placements
The University of Winnipeg organizes the annual Career Fair so students can have the opportunity to connect with employers from various companies, organizations, and university programs. Some popular employers or regular career fair attendees are PepsiCo Canada, Western Financial Group Insurance Solutions, Loblaw Companies Limited, Ka Ni Kanichihk Inc., Birchwood Automotive Group, etc.
- The University’s graduates are reported to have an average salary of 45,807 CAD two years after graduation.
- The graduates have an employment rate of 95.9% two years after graduation.
- Along with this, a quick peek at University of Winnipeg graduates and alumni working as professionals in various sectors.
|Job Position||Average Salary (CAD)|
|Human Resources Information Manager System||77k-131k|
|Marketing Communications Specialist||51k-76k|
|Senior Financial Analyst||64k-96k|
FIND A PROGRAM
Application Portal : https://www.uwinnipeg.ca/future-student/apply/index.html
Regular Decision Deadlines
|total faculty||full time||part time||graduate assistants|
After a friend of mine told me about this university being a good choice, I started researching about it and the research led me to the student reviews of this university and after reading them, I was convinced that I want to pursue my masters from here only as they all said that the university is very focuses on career opportunities. I had to pay $120 for my online application form through the admission portal of the website.
Course Curriculum :
My program was unique, it fostered critical reflection on how technology and society interact. It offered a pragmatic and applied curriculum, addressing globalization and cultural issues alongside technical instruction. The new program will fulfill the largest growing occupational needs in government, industry and non-profit sectors. An internationally educated faculty engaged in innovative computing research will offer the program.
Along with this being one of the oldest public universities in Canada, it is also considered to be one of the universities with better infrastructure and more facilities and these were the reasons that motivated me to apply for this university. To start the admission process, I submitted my an online application form through the online admission portal of the official website by paying an application fee of $120.
Course Curriculum :
My curriculum included study in subject areas of botany, zoology, microbiology, cell biology, molecular biology, ecology, animal behavior and genetics. Within these diverse subject areas, our department offers a wide variety of courses and programs that lead to both Bachelor of Science (BSc) and Master of Science (MSc) degrees. Our students are well prepared for careers in many of the areas related to biology or for further studies in professional or graduate schools.
This university gave me an option of enjoying qualitative education, with very affordable tuition and I took it. Moreover, location was one of the factor for my admission as well, I have access to pretty much everything near my university.
Course Curriculum :
The Course Curriculum is very well managed. However, the course material is some courses varies to different professor, sometimes a bad professor can affect you whole course. Moreover, I found every course up-to-date with latest course material.
The main reason was that it had small classrooms and a good environment so that I can easily make an interactive learning with my teacher.
Course Curriculum :
The courses are really updated and very interesting. You don't study about a particular course but you also study humanities and stuff which is an interesting point.
I liked the average size of classes and all the professor are approachable, I have made tons of freinds here just because size is small enough to stay in touch with everyone
Course Curriculum :
Every professor teaches in their own style and I believe every one I have studied from is good and taught me well and are friendly as well
- Bus Station
- Shopping Mall
- Book Store
- Train Station
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary