University of Guelph, Ridgetown Campus: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
Located in Southwestern Ontario, The University of Guelph, Ridgetown Campus is primarily an agriculture and environmental research institute. Though founded in 1951, it became a part of the University of Guelph in 1991 and has been a pioneering institute in Canada for agriculture research and studies ever since.
Its vision to advance agri-food research and science to look towards a better future for humanity is followed in the numerous diploma and certificate courses that it gives out to its students. The university aims to be a leader in animal science, applied agriculture, and environmental research. The university has three different research stations located in Huron, Cedar Springs and Ridgetown, Ontario.
Being a 450 acre campus, it provides ample opportunity for its students and staff to explore the various facets of agriculture and conduct research with observable samples. The University of Guelph-Ridgetown has a 91% overall graduate employment rate, making it a favourable agricultural university to study in Canada.
The University of Guelph has been recognized as one of Canada’s top comprehensive university almost every year by various ranking organizations:
- #1 in Canada and #12 in the World for Agricultural Science
- Among top 600 universities of the World according to Times University Rankings
- #1 in Canada for overall learning, living and student support according to International Students Barometer
- Awarded as Canada’s Top Comprehensive University by Maclean’s University Rankings.
|Campus Area||450 acres|
|Programs offered||Diploma and Certificate|
|Mode of Program||Full-time|
|Research Funding||9.0 Million CAD|
|Graduate Employment Rate||88%|
|English Language Proficiency||IELTS, TOEFL|
- The Ridgetown Campus of the University of Guelph has a campus area of 450 acres which provides students ample opportunities to test their research of agriculture and animal husbandry.
- J.J. Neilson Arboretum which houses more than 700 species of trees and shrubs.
- A fully functional and inclusive research lab and station which is one of the three provided by the University of Guelph.
- The residential campus is situated at a 5-10 minute walk from downtown Ridgetown.
- Students are also provided with public health and nurse facilities on campus in times of distress.
- The peer helpers programs help new students settle in easily with the learning environment and the city.
- The University of Guelph, Ridgetown provides on-campus resident facilities at the Steckley Hall.
- First-year students are guaranteed an on-campus residence for their entire year of study.
- It has a dormitory-style living space with 190 co-ed spaces available to students every year.
- Residence facilities include a fitness center, kitchenette, WiFi services, Laundry services, and students lounges with TV and other entertainment activities.
- To opt for dining on-campus, students have to subscribe to a meal plan which provides 14 meals per week from Monday breakfast to Friday dinner. It provides a number of cuisine options.
- Parking Spaces are available on a paid basis.
- The residence application deadline is on May 29 every year.
- The University of Guelph provides certificate and diploma programs that range from 1 year to 3-year programs.
- The various degrees and programs include
|Program||Duration of Study||Specializations offered|
|Associate Diploma Program||2-3 years||Agriculture, Environmental Management, Equine Care and Management, Horticulture, Veterinary Technology|
|Apprenticeship Program||2 years||Dairy Hersperson|
|Certificate Programs||1 year||Performance Horse Handler, Veterinary Office Administrator|
- The top courses offered are Agriculture, Environment Management, Horticulture, and Veterinary Technology.
If you are interested in getting admitted to the University of Guelph Ridgetown, read on for a brief gist of the application process.
- Application Portal: Students must apply on apply.ontariocolleges.ca
- Application Deadline: Students are required to complete the application form by February 1 for admission in the September Intake session.
- The result of your application will be mailed to you by May 1.
- Required Documents include:
- Official Transcripts which are required to be assessed by an education evaluation agency
- English Language Proficiency test scores
- Personal essay
- Resume, work experience, writing sample wherever required
- English Language Proficiency required:
- IELTS: Overall 6.5 with no section below 6
- TOEFL: iBT: 89, PBT: 600
Cost Of Attendance
- Tuition fees including the cost of books vary according to the selected program but ranges from 14,000-24,000 CAD per year.
- The cost of on-campus residence is calculated at 2,595 CAD every year.
- The cost of meal plan per year amounts to 3,036 CAD which can be paid in installments.
- Other student expenses for the entire year amount to 3,000 CAD as estimated by the University.
- Therefore, the estimated total cost of one year at the University of Guelph would approximately be 22,000- 33,000 CAD.
Financial Aid for International Students
- The Ontario Students Assistance Program can be used to gain loans and grants for their education at The University of Guelph, Ridgetown.
- The Student Financial Aid Office at the campus assists students in applying for loans which need to be paid back, or grants by the provincial government.
- Students are granted a 6-month grace period to start paying back their loans from the end of their full-time study period, but interest does start to accumulate immediately after the completion of your study period.
- Other means of financing your education in Canada include scholarship exams and competitions that are regularly available on the campus.
- Over 7,000 people have graduated from the University of Guelph Ridgetown since its first batch started in 1991
- Around 88% of graduates are immediately employed after completion of their course.
- The Alumni Service Coordinator is an efficient way to connect to alumni and know more about future prospects.
- The Ridgetown campus provides assistance in finding and bagging your preferred job through the Job Placement Assistance Service.
- Every year Ridgetown campus organizes a Career Fair, usually in the month of November, to help students connect with employers and businesses.
- The University also receives various kinds of full-time and part-time job posting every year.
- The Ridgetown Campus Summer Employment Program provides around 90 different job postings in the various departments of the institute.
QS World University
Academy Ranking of World Universities
RANKED #401 - #500
I opted for the diploma course in agricultural sciences at the University of Guelph because I was always interested and curious to learn about the agricultural business and production. I did a lot of research and finally chose to apply at this college as it was a highly ranked college. I had applied to this course through an online application form and a cumulative GPA of 8.9 in my bachelor's course was a major aid in my admission to the course.
Course Curriculum :
My course curriculum focused on applied knowledge and practical approach in agricultural production and business along with excellent theoretical explanations from industry experts. My course included subjects like agribusiness, crops, livestock, or fruit and vegetable production. My course curriculum offered flexibility in course selections, which enabled me to explore and learn various other subjects related to the field that interested me the most along with my regular studies.
I opted for the diploma course in agricultural sciences at the University of Guelph because I was always interested and curious to learn about the agricultural business and production agriculture. I did a lot of research on which college I should apply for which revealed that the Agriculture program of this university was one of the top-ranked programs ( 24th rank worldwide) which has been the source of many innovations in plant breeding and disease research. I had applied to this course through an online process by filling an application form and the amount I paid as the application fee was $90.
Course Curriculum :
My course focused on applied knowledge and practical approach in agricultural production and business along with excellent theoretical explanations from industry experts. My course included subjects like agribusiness, crops, livestock, or fruit and vegetable production. The course curriculum offered flexibility in my course selections, which enabled me to explore and learn various other subjects related to the field that interested me the most along with my regular studies.