Government Medical College was started in the year of 1951 as a first medical college in the southern state of Kerala.  The Government of Travancore appointed a committee in the year of 1948 to formulate the proposals for starting a Medical College at Trivandrum. But its report and scheme which was submitted by the Committee was sanctioned in the month of October, 1948. The college is financed and managed by the Health and Welfare Department, Government of Kerala. It offers Graduate, Postgraduate and Postdoctoral levels courses in the field of Medicine, Public Health, Nursing and Pharmaceutical Sciences. In 1951, the college was started with an annual intake of 60 students but in 1983 it was increased to 200.

It provides super-specialty block along with state of the art technology and modern equipments and carries more than 2500 beds for inpatient care. The college and hospital building are also separated by playground for football, court of tennis, basketball and volleyball. It is ranked among the top 20 medical colleges in the country.

Facts and Figure of Government Medical College -

Total Campus Area

139 Acres

Approved By

Medical Council of India (MCI)

Affiliated By

Kerala University of Health Sciences (KUHS)

How to Reach

  • 6 Kms away from the Thiruvananthapuram Central Railway Station and KSRTC Central Bus Station
  • 5 Kms from the Trivandrum International  Airport