The National Institute of Engineering (NIE), established in the year 1946, today stands 178th place among top engineering colleges in the country that include IITs and NITs as per National Institution Ranking Framework (NIRF-2019) announced by Ministry of Human Resources Development (MHRD). It is ranked 18 among India’s top Engineering Colleges, as per survey conducted by Times of India (June 2019). NIE is managed by a registered society and nine out of ten current directors are distinguished alumni of the institute.
NIE is a grant-in-aid institution and approved by the All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE), New Delhi. NIE got autonomous status from Visvesvaraya Technological University, Belagavi in 2007. It has been accredited by NAAC. Five Undergraduate Programmes - Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electronics & Communication Engineering, Electrical & Electronics Engineering and Industrial & Production Engineering and three PG Programmes – Hydraulics, Production Engineering & System Technology and Structural Engineering have been accredited by the National Board of Accreditation, New Delhi, under Tier-I. It is one of the 14 colleges in Karnataka that has been recognized under the MHRD-World Bank-sponsored Technical Education Quality Improvement Programme (TEQIP) in all the three phases. All the Departments of NIE are recognized as Research Centre under VTU and AICTE for QIP. Currently, NIE offers 7 UG and 12 PG Programmes. Faculty has been the main strength of NIE. They impart their vast knowledge to the students by using conventional methods of teaching-learning process as well as contemporary ones.
National Institute of Engineering Highlights
|Established | Type||1946 | Autonomous|
|Accreditation||NAAC, NBA (5 UG & 3 PG programs)|
|Popular Courses||B.E, M.Tech, MCA|
|Student Strength ||3800|
|Exams|| GATE, PGCET, CET|
National Institute of Engineering Ranking
- Ranked 178th in the Engineering Category by NIRF Ranking 2019
- Ranked 28th in the Engineering Category by Outlook Ranking 2019
- Ranked 49th in the Engineering Category by The Week Ranking 2019
- Ranked 18th in the Engineering Category by Times Engineering Ranking 2019
- Ranked 8th in the Engineering Category by Chronicle Ranking 2019
National Institute of Engineering Courses
Details of the undergraduate and postgraduate level programs offered by the institute are as mentioned below:
|B.E||Electronics and Communication Engineering||Candidates must have a pass at the 10+2 level from the Science stream with PCM background from a recognized board in the country. Appearance in CET or COMED K is mandatory||CET / COMED K score / rank|
|Computer Science and Engineering|
|Electrical and Electronics Engineering|
|Industrial and Production Engineering|
|Information Science and Engineering|
|M.Tech||Computer Networking and Engineering||Candidates must have a pass at the undergraduate level (minimum 60%) in the relevant discipline of B.E. / B.E. from a recognized University. A valid GATE score is also required||PGCET score / rank|
|Production Engineering Systems|
|MCA||Computer Applications||Candidates must have a pass at the undergraduate level (minimum 60%) in the relevant discipline from a recognized University||PGCET score|
National Institute of Engineering Intake
Civil Engg. (NBA Accredited)
Mechanical Engg. (NBA Accredited)
Hydraulics (NBA Accredited)
Electrical & Electronics Engg. (NBA Accredited)
Production Engg. and System Technology (NBA Accredited)
Electronics & Communication Engg.(NBA Accredited)
Computer Application to Industrial Drives
Industrial & Production Engg. (NBA Accredited)
Computer Science & Engg.
Industrial Automation & Robotics
Information Science & Engg.
Structural Engineering (NBA Accredited)
Civil Engg. (Evening)
Computer Network Engineering
Networking and Internet Engg.
Masters in Computer Applications
Click here: NIE Courses
National Institute of Engineering Admission
- Candidates seeking admission to the undergraduate program at the National Institute of Engineering, Mysore may do so by applying online through the official link given on the website.
- Candidates seeking admission to the postgraduate program at National Institute of Engineering, Mysore may do so by applying online through the official link given on the website for PGCET
Click here: NIE Admission
National Institute of Engineering Placement
National Institute of Engineering has a dedicated and active placement cell which is constantly working towards providing students with professional training as well as placement opportunities every year. The students get opportunities to get placed at reputed companies and organizations and receive impressive packages.
Some highlights of the recent placement session are as follows:
- 100 Percent placements in circuit branches
- 20 Percent increase in placements year on year
- More than 150 companies visiting the campus Highest number of core companies visiting the campus
- Total students Placed: 518 and 780 Offers
- Average Package: INR 6 LPA
- Highest Package (Domestic = INR 46.5 LPA & International INR 24 LPA)
- More than 200 students placed with INR 8 LPA offer
- Major Recruiters: Google, Microsoft, Cisco, VMWARE, Accenture, Infosys, TCS, HPE etc
- Highest No. of Offers: Accenture, 168 Students Placed
Placement Statistics of Previous Years
Click here: NIE Placement
National Institute of Engineering Faculty
National Institute of Engineering has a large and diverse faculty of 231 highly qualified and accomplished individuals. Out of this, 80 of the members are Ph.D holders in their respective disciplines. The entire faculty of is extremely experienced and well versed in their subject matter. All members of the faculty are very cooperative towards students and always encourage them to ask questions and clarify their concepts as much as they can, by being available to students even outside lectures and classes. The faculty consists of a dedicated team of professors, associate professors and assistant professors. Many members of the faculty are also recipients of several prestigious awards and accolades.
The institute has an impressive faculty to student ration of 1:16. Details of the faculty members are as follows:
Click here: NIE Faculty
National Institute of Engineering Facilities
The institute offers the following facilities to students:
- Libray: The library is well stocked with a large collection of nearly 1,12,000 books in over 25,000 volumes. A lot of other reading material is available in print and on digital platforms
- Hostel: The institute offers hostel facilities for male and female students. All necessary facilities and provisions are available for recreational and residence purposes.
- Computing Facility: Students can avail free computing facility as well as internet access.
Click here: NIE Hostel
National Institute of Engineering FAQs
Ques. How is NIE?
Ans. National Institute of Engineering is among the top engineering institutes in the country receiving high rankings from all ranking platforms. The institute offers undergraduate and postgraduate level programs in its engineering department. The faculty at the institute has a majority of Ph.D holders and faculty to student ratio is 1:16. NIE also has a well stocked library and state of the art infrastructure, as well as a very successful placement record over the years.
Ques. How are the placements at NIE?
Ans. The institute has a very successful placement record with 518 students getting placed during the previous placement season. The highest salary INR 46.5 LPA for domestic and INR 24 LPA for international offer. More than 200 students received packages worth INR 8 LPA. Recruiters included Google, Microsoft, Cisco, VMWARE, Accenture, Infosys, TCS, HPE and many more.
Ques. How to apply for admission to NIE?
Ans. For CET/PGCET, candidates must submit the application fee via online banking / debit or credit card payment, following which they will be given a registration number. For GATE, candidates must submit the duly filled in form, along with uploaded photographs and photocopies of marks cards, within the stipulated time.