Government Arts College for Men, Tamilnadu, Chennai is one of the best colleges of Chennai in terms of value for money education which is affordable to the financially weak meritorious students. The college aims at teaching undergraduate and postgraduate courses in a total of 12 and 10 subjects, respectively, in the streams of Arts, Commerce, and Science. In the higher studies department, candidates are offered with M.Phil. and both Full Time and Part Time Ph.D. opportunities. Admission procedure To the Govt Arts College for Men is purely merit-based. The official website of the college furnishes all the details regarding the admission procedure. The mode of application for which is online.
Govt Arts College (Men) Highlights
|Established | Institute type||1969 | Government|
|Affiliated to||University of Madras, Chennai|
|Courses Offered||B.A, B.Com, B.Sc., BBA, MA, M.Com, M.Sc., M.Phil, Ph.D. (Full time/ Part-time)|
|Extracurricular Activities||NSS, NCC, Youth Red Cross|
Govt Arts College (Men) Courses
The institute offers under-graduate courses in 4 subjects in the Faculty of Arts, 2 subjects in the Faculty of Commerce, and 6 subjects in the Faculty of Science. In Post-Graduation, the college offers 4 specializations in the Faculty of Arts, 2 in the Faculty of Commerce, and 4 in Faculty of Science.
Read More: Govt Arts College for Men Fee Structure
Govt Arts College (Men) Admission
The admissions to the college are merit-based. Students with 50% aggregate marks in the previous qualifying examination is the required eligibility criteria. Candidates qualifying the merit should visit the institute and seek admission by paying the required fee. The application form to the GACM programs is offline.
How to apply?
This process must be done in offline mode only and is common for all the courses i.e. UG, PG and P.hD.
- The student can purchase the application form from the college premises.
- The application form fee can be paid through Demand Draft or NEFT.
- All the necessary information must be filled out accurately.
- Original Transfer Certificate and 4 photocopies
- Original Mark Sheets and 4 photocopies
- Original Community Certificate and 4 photocopies
- Proof for Admission under a special quota
- Ration card 2 photocopies
- Passport size photograph 5 Nos
- Original Aadhar card and 4 photocopies
- Bank passbook first page 4 photocopies
- Acknowledgment card
Read More: GAC Nandanam Admission
Govt Arts College (Men) Facilities
Library: This College provides very well equipped library facilities for students. There are three types of Libraries in this college. The total number of books in various libraries is more than 57,000. There are Braille books & 2 systems with appropriate software installed for more than 100 visually challenged students.
General Library: A collection of more than 25,000 books and journals are provided for students.
Department Libraries: There are 13 Department Libraries equipped with subject related books and journals. The subjects are Tamil, English, History, Economics, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Botany, Zoology, Computer Science, Commerce, Corporate Secretaryship, and Business Administration.
Digital Library & Knowledge Research Centre: With the help of 10 Systems with high-speed internet, the N-LIST (National Library and Information Services Infrastructure for Scholarly Content) system provides beneficial educational e-resources to students, researchers, and faculties of this college. More than 380 CDs of General Knowledge, Business Success, Time Management, Management Skills, Personality Development, Effective Communication, Spoken English and Grammar, World History, and Soft skills, etc., are provided to the students.
- CCTV: The college premise is secured by CCTV coverage to ensure safety, surveillance, and security.
- Placement Cell: There is a Placement and Career Guidance Cell is to guide the students to get proper placements. It organizes campus placement drives as well as awareness sessions.
Govt Arts College (Men) Faculty
The college has a prestigious and reputed list of faculties who impart great honor to the college. In the academic year of 2018-19, faculties have been honored with 9 awards by various Central and/ or State Agencies. The details of the faculties are as follows:
- Total number of Faculty: 171
- Associate professors: 35
- Assistant Professor: 135
- Other: 1
Read More: GAC Nandanam
Govt Arts College (Men) FAQ
Ques. Does the college provide admission to BBA?
Ans. Yes, the Govt. Arts College for Men offers a Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration. The specialization offered as well as other details are mentioned in the following table.
Ques. Can anyone apply for an M.Phil. degree in this institute?
Ans. This college currently offers M.Phil. degrees in the following specialized areas.
Interested candidates can apply for M.Phil. degree in their choice of subjects if they have a clearance of post-graduation examination from a recognized university in the respective subjects in 10+2+3+2 or 11+1+3+2 pattern only.
Ques. Does GAC Nandanam offer Ph.D. programs too??
Ans. Yes, the college provides Ph.D. programs too. Given below are the details of the same:
|Ph.D. (Full Time)||
Ques. Does the college have any research facilities?
Ans. Currently, there are prestigious supervisors for every department to whom students can seek research and subsequent Ph.D. guidance. Interested students can pursue the research under the following departments:
|Department||Number of the Research supervisor|
|Department of Tamil||8|
|Department of English||1|
|Department of Economics||4|
|Department of Commerce||6|
|Department of History||4|
|Department of Physics||6|
|Department of Chemistry||7|
|Department of Botany||7|
|Department of Zoology||4|
|Department of Business Administration||2|
Ques. Does the college provide any scholarship to students?
Ans. The Govt. Arts College for Men offers full tuition fee reimbursement as offered by the State and Central Government to the Economically Backward (Including male & female) students. A total number of 1869 out of 2873 students are benefited by this scholarship.
Ques. What extracurricular activities are exercised by the Govt. Arts College for Men?
Ans. The college provides scopes for various extracurricular activities which are beneficial for both society and the students themselves. These activities are:
- NSS: Students participated in this scheme organized various Health, Welfare, and Awareness programs like Blood Donation, Stem Cell Donation, Dengue Awareness Camps, Swacchata Abhiyan, etc.
- NCC Army: Students participating in the NCC Army get opportunities in National Camps like Rock Climbing, Army Attachment, basic Leadership Camps, etc.
- NCC Navy: Students joining the NCC Navy get opportunities in Scuba Diving and other national-level Camps as Cadets.
- Youth Red Cross: Cadets from this scheme participate in First Aid Workshop, Tree plantation, Student orientation, Vaccination camps, etc.
- Yoga: For the betterment of the mental and physical health of students, Govt. Arts College for Men regularly organizes Yoga camps. It has been especially beneficial for quitting the smoking habit.