National Institute of fashion technology is located in Kolkata and is a government college that was established in 1995 in order to introduce students to various options of employment in the field of fashion.
The institution offers courses at undergraduate and postgraduate levels with specialization in fields of design, management and technology. At the UG level, it offers B.Des. and B.F.Tech. At the PG level it offers MFM. Admissions to all the courses are based on written examination.
As per latest updates, NIFT Admission 2021 has started for PhD programs, apply till May 2, 2021 (11:59 PM). NIFT has also started the online process for shortlisted candidates to select interview dates for PG Admission 2021.
The college is one among the many branches of NIFT’s present in pan country . The institution has maintained a good record of placements with top notch fashion firms coming in the college as recruiters. The college in itself becomes a unique place to be in because of the amazing infrastructure it provides to the students with all kinds of labs required to improve one's skills in the field of fashion.
The faculty members are also well qualified and experienced in the fields that they teach. The most recent acknowledgement received by the institution is the 7th rank attributed by the organisation called Outlook in 2019.
NIFT Kolkata Highlights
|Established | Institution type||1995 | Public|
|Entrance Exam||CAT, GAT , Situation based test by NIFT|
|Courses offered||8 courses across 3 streams|
|Facilities available||Laboratories, Resource centers, Hotel for girls .|
|Top Recruiters||Raymonds, Arvind , Wellspun ,Hoffman , Torretto,Das style Pvt. Ltd|
NIFT Kolkata Rankings
The college has been designated by some organisation with ranks among top 10 recognising it as a suitable place for a student to nurture in. Some of them according to the recent records are as follows:
|2019||Fashion Design||The Week||7th|
|2019||Fashion Design||INdia Today||8th|
NIFT Kolkata Courses
The college offers 8 courses across various streams at undergraduate and postgraduate levels and vivid options for specializations. Apart from these courses the college also lets the student attain certificates in various courses that come under the category of Continuing Education programmes. These courses vary in the duration period from being less than 6 months programme to that of 1 year programmes. These courses can be taken by the students to enhance the skills that they are studying.
|B. Des||Duration : 3 Years
Eligibility Criteria :
1) The candidate must have passed 10+2 from a recognised board or must have completed a diploma of 3 or 4 years from a recognised board/ university
2) The candidate must have attempted the entrance exam CAT and GAT organised by the NIFT
Specializations: Leather Design , Textile Design , Fashion Communication , Accessory Design, Knitwear Design, Fashion Design .
|B. F Tech||Duration : 4 years
Eligibility Criteria :
1) The candidate must have passed 10+ 2 from a recognised university with physics,chemistry and mathematics as a compulsory subject
2)The candidate must have attempted the entrance exam GAT organised by NIFT
Specialization : Fashion Technology
|M.F .M||Duration : 2 years
Eligibility criteria : The candidate must have completed an undergraduate degree or an undergraduate diploma of minimum three years from a recognised board or university
Specialization: Fashion Management
Read More: NIFT Kolkata Courses & Fee
NIFT Kolkata Admission
The admission process takes place online and is based on the marks obtained in entrance tests. Students can apply online.
Admission to B.Des. will be provided based on the written exam i.e. Creative Ability Test (CAT) or General Ability Test (GAT). A situation test will be conducted after shortlisting the candidates from the written exam.
The admission to B.F.Tech will be based on GAT only.
The admission to MFM is based on GAT followed by GD-PI.
How to Apply?
- The entrance exam forms can be filled on the official website of the college and the preferable centres for examination can be given.
- After the examination , the application form for the admission can also be found on the official website.
- The application has to be filed in correctly by adding all the details mentioned.
- After the successful filling of the form the candidate will be redirected to the payments page where the candidate can pay the fees through any online mode of payment or by DD.
- The application fee for the( general /OBC ) category is 1500 Rs . whereas for reserved categories that are S.C and S.T is Rs. 750 .
- The further procedures will be intimidated by the institution on the registered email id and phone number.
Note: If the application fee is being paid by DD the candidate must send the hard copy of the application form to this address .
Project Manager - CMS
All India Management Association
14, Institutional Area,
Lodhi Road, New Delhi – 110003
Read More: NIFT Kolkata Admission
NIFT Kolkata Placements
The college has some top notch companies visiting for recruitments. The placement cell of the college takes care of the employment needs of the students and has a well organised system of selections. The placement programme is divided into 3 modes as pre-placement programmes, campus selection and off campus drive.
The top recruiters that have visited the college in the past few years are Raymonds, Arvind , Wellspun ,Hoffman , Torretto,Das style Pvt. Ltd, wallet plus, adcons, crescent export, etc.
The record maintained is of above 90% students getting placed every year. The median salary of the student starts from 4 lacs. There have been instances where students have been offered a highest salary of 16 lacs.
Read More: NIFT Kolkata Placement
NIFT Kolkata Scholarships
The college offers financial aid to the students who are deserving in form of scholarship named ‘Sarthak Financial Assistance ‘ at undergraduate as well as post graduate level. The financial assistance provided differs according to the different income ceilings that the parents of the candidates belong to. Depending on the same the candidate is given 100% , 75% or 50% financial assistance in tuition fees.
The students that stand eligible for availing the benefits of Sarthak scholarship automatically are considered for the Udaan scholarship which helps the student by providing financial aid for availing foreign studies. The education loan facility is also available for all the students.
Read More: NIFT Kolkata Scholarships
NIFT Kolkata Facilities
- Laboratories: The college has various labs for every course that gives a practical experience of all that is required during employment in the field of fashion. Some of the laboratories available for the students are Computer lab, Photography lab,Pattern making & draping labs,Weaving lab, dyeing and printing labs , technology labs and knitwear labs .
- Hostel : The college owns a hostel which is spacious enough and provides good facilities to the students along with security . However the hostel is only for girls.
- Resource center: The resource center is like the library of the institution which lets the student have access to various e books, e journals, books, fashion magazines etc.
- Amphitheatre and auditorium : In order to cater to the entertainment needs of the students there are various events organised in the amphitheatre and auditorium present inside the college .The students are also allowed to present their talents on these platforms.
Read More: NIFT Kolkata Cutoff
NIFT Kolkata Faculty
The faculty members are well qualified and experienced. Some of the teachers have their highest education qualifications as P.hd. According to the reviews of the students, the faculty members of the college play a huge role in making the student’s journey in the institution a memorable one. There are more than 15 faculty members on the campus.
Read More: NIFT Kolkata Faculty
NIFT Kolkata FAQs
Ques. Is the hostel located inside the campus of NIFT Kolkata?
Ques. Does NIFT Kolkata facilitate a canteen inside the college?
Ques. How many seats are available for the course B.Des per specialization at NIFT Kolkata?
Ques. Is there any other selection process after clearing the entrance test for bachelor’s programmes at NIFT Kolkata?
Ques. Can the students who haven’t received the mark sheets of the qualifying examination apply for the courses at NIFT Kolkata?