Diploma in Acting course is a 3 year full-time course in acting, drama, and dance. This course gives a disciplined approach, incorporating a broad array of classes that train the actor in key aspects such as emotions, voice, body, speech & diction, creativity, imagination, characterization, auditioning techniques and method acting.
The average fees charged for pursuing this course ranges from INR 2,00,00 - 4,00,000 for the spans of 1-3 years. Along with this course, students can also pursue a dual degree course like Diploma in Film Direction, Diploma in Videography, and Diploma in Cinematography course. The eligibility required for pursuing a Diploma in Acting course is completing 10+2 or 12th final year examination.
The prospects of this course are very bright and the students are able to get various opportunities to work in Film and TV Industries. Students can become proficient in dancing and acting. The available job roles for a student are Assistant Event Manager, Theatre Writer, Acting Consultant, Producer, and Teacher, etc.
Below are the colleges that offer a Diploma in Acting course are the following:-
|College Name||Admission Process||Average Annual fees||Average Placement offer|
|Anupam Kher’s Actor Prepares the School for Actors||Entrance based-Merit based||INR 2,25,000-3,50,000||INR 4,00,000-6,00,000|
|Indian Academy of Dramatic Arts||Entrance based-Merit based||INR 2,00,000-3,00,000||INR 4,50,000-5,00,000|
|Institute of Creative Excellence, New Delhi||Entrance based-Merit based||INR 1,25,000-2,50,000||INR 4,00,000-6,00,000|
|Institute of Creative Excellence, Kolkata||Entrance based-Merit based||INR 2,05,000-2,50,000||INR 4,20,000-6,00,000|
|Livewires- The Media Institute||Entrance based-Merit based||INR 1,25,000-2,50,000||INR 4,00,000-6,00,000|
Diploma in Acting is the best course to learn for creative people who wish to pursue acting as a profession. The average starting salary for a graduate of Diploma in Acting is from INR 4,00,000 - 7,00,000. In the job profile of the Producer, the salary is based on the projects.
The further course options after this course are a Master’s degree program or a Doctoral degree in acting to enhance acting skills and to advance a future acting career.
What is the Admission Process of Diploma in Acting?
The admission process for pursuing a Diploma in Acting course depends on the scores obtained in the particular entrance exams conducted by acting colleges. The basic details of the admission process are mentioned below:-
- The admission Process in Diploma in Acting is based on the merit and performing skills of the student in the concerned entrance examination conducted by the National School of Drama (NSD), FTII Entrance test, AISF Entrance test, SRFTI Entrance test
- The online application forms for these entrance exams are released by the end of January month every year.
- Once a student successfully clears the entrance exams, then they will be called for counseling and the personal interview round.
Also Read NSD Admission Process
Entrance Based Admission Process
Entrance based admission is conducted in some colleges for the Diploma in Acting course. The steps to apply for the online entrance exam are the following:-
- Students must register their names by providing email ids, mobile number, and password.
- Fill all the necessary columns by providing personal and educational information.
- Students must be present in the entrance examination on the mentioned date.
- After declaring results, selected students will be called for counseling and personal interview.
Merit-Based or Offline Admission Process
In some colleges, merit-based or offline admission processes are conducted. The steps for the merit-based admission process are the following:-
- After the release of the application form, visit your college and collect the admission form along with the college prospectus.
- Fill up all the necessary details in the admission form and make a demand draft of the required application fees.
- Submit the application form and demand draft before the closing date of the application form.
- 2 days before admission, you can check your name in the cut-off list and can get an idea about the certainty of your admission.
What is the Eligibility Criteria for Diploma in Acting?
Diploma in Acting course is best suited for creative and innovative people who have a knack of art. After completing 10+2 or 12th Final year examination in any stream from any recognized university, students can pursue this course. The eligibility criteria for the Diploma in Acting course are mentioned below:-
- Passed 10+2 or 12th final year examination.
- The student must get a minimum of 45% of the aggregate of marks from any recognized board.
- Students must have innovative skills to excel the entrance exams.
- The students also have to perform well in the Personal Interview round.
What are the Entrance exams for Diploma in Acting?
Various entrance exams are conducted for the students to pursue a Diploma in Acting courses. These entrance exams are:-
- NSD 2020-21: This entrance exam is conducted every year by the National School of Drama to recognize the acting talent of a student.
- FTII 2020-21: This entrance exam is jointly conducted every year by the Film and Television industry
- AISF 2020-21: This entrance exam is conducted every year by Annapurna International School of Film.
- SRFTI 2020-21: This entrance exam is conducted every year by Satyajit Ray Film and Television Institute.
|Entrance Exam||Mode of Examination||Availability of Application||Date of Examination|
|NSD||Online/Offline||January 28, 2020||September 2020|
|FTII||Online||January 2020||February 15 and 16, 2020|
|AISF||Online/Offline||May 2020||June 27, 2020|
|SRFTI||Offline||January 2020||February 15 and 16, 2020|
Note: The dates may change due to COVID-19 Pandemic for the year 2021.
Also Find : Top 10 Colleges for Diploma in Acting
How to Prepare for Diploma in Acting Entrance Exams?
Students have to practice well before appearing for the entrance examination for Diploma in Acting course. Below are some of the tips that can help a student to score good marks in the entrance examination:-
- Collect the current syllabus and practice hard in every section. Try to collect the previous year’s cut-off marks. So that you can prepare according to the cut-off marks.
- Avoid attempting difficult questions in the entrance examinations if you don’t know the answer.
- Focus more on practical skills than theory subjects.
- Try to cover the entire curriculum for the entrance exam.
- Prepare well for the Personal Interview round and group discussion round.
How to Get Admission to a Good College for a Diploma in Acting Course?
Focus on the below-mentioned points to get your admission to a good college for pursuing a Diploma in Acting course:-
- For getting admission to a top acting Institute a student must secure high marks on the entrance exams conducted by that Institute.
- Students must also score good marks in the practice round.
- Aspirants should start practicing acting one year before the date of examination.
- Students must prepare themselves for the entrance exam, personal interview and group discussion that are conducted in different institutes and colleges.
- Try to collect all details of that college, where you want to pursue your future education like employment opportunities, course fees, etc.
What is the Course Diploma in Acting All About?
This is a very innovative course for future acting aspiring students. The scope of this acting Diploma in Acting course is mentioned below:-
- The diploma in acting is the training of acting courses for the students who wish to enhance their acting skills. Students can learn this course from drama schools or acting Institutes and by pursuing this course they are able to focus on their acting skills.
- This course is beneficial for a student in developing original and creative acting skills that are necessary for an effortless performance through their acting in Theatre arts.
- Students develop the precursors to acting: relaxation; trust; exuberance; discipline; response to criticism; a playful attitude; and the ability to work as part of an ensemble.
- For pursuing this course, a student must be passionate and put in a lot of dedication and effort for their work, not only acting, but a student will also learn about casting directors, agents, and actors union in this course.
- In the case of film production, India is the largest country in the world. Diploma in Acting course is a very demanding course as over 1100 films are made every year in India and the industry requires professional personnel.
- The income of an actor is not fixed, however it depends on advertisements, endorsements, projects, and production houses, etc. In the starting career of an actor, they may not earn much but gradually after the experience and enhanced performance they can earn well.
- After completing Diploma in Acting course, a student gets various job opportunities like Assistant Event Manager, Theatre Writer, Acting Consultant, Producer, Teacher, and many more.
Diploma in Acting course Course Highlights
|Full-Form||Diploma in Acting|
|Eligibility||Must qualify in 10+2 final examination/ 12th final year examination|
|Admission Process||Entrance based and merit-based|
|Course Fee||INR 2,00,000-4,00,000|
|Average Salary||INR 4,00,000-7,00,000|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Drama and Dance Schools, Film Industry, Educational Institutes, Event Management Companies etc.|
|Job Positions||Assistant Event Manager, Theatre Writer, Acting Consultant, Producer, Teacher|
Why choose a Diploma in Acting course?
This Diploma in Acting course is very unique and interesting for the creative students. This field has a lot of competition and many are looking to make it big, so having a professional degree will give the aspirant an upper hand to get hired. Aspirants who want to enhance their acting skills must choose this course. The movie industry is one of the highest revenue generating industries in the world, working in this industry provides employment and income to a larger number of masses. Below given are more reasons that the aspirants must choose Diploma in Acting course :-
- Diploma in Acting course gives a formal training and education program gives a person exposure, it increases the success rate factor.
- This course will help a creative student to polish their hidden talents and to develop the skills that are necessary for them to step into the professional world.
- It is beneficial for a student in developing original and creative acting skills that are necessary for an effortless performance in Theatre. Students get a chance to practice dancing simultaneously with acting.
- Students understand the communication process on how to express a particular character to an audience using body language, speech, gestures, expressions, and any or all other forms of communication tools.
- By pursuing this course, a student will gain confidence and improve their vocal and physical expression and build an understanding of on-screen acting skills and technical aspects of the profession
- This Diploma in Acting course will improve and increase the mentality of a student to act in a team.
- After completing Diploma in Acting course, they can work as professional actors in Theatres, Televisions, Films or Radio, etc.
Diploma in Acting vs Diploma in Film Direction vs Diploma in Cinematography
|Parameter||Diploma in Acting||Diploma in Film Direction||Diploma in Cinematography|
|Overview||It is a full-time course for preparing screen acting including dance and drama.||It is a full-time course for technically combining a simple idea into a big screen for the audience.||It is a full-time course that trains a student in technical, aesthetic level TV and Film programs.|
|Duration||3 years||3 year||3 year|
|Admission Criteria||This course can be pursued after the 12th final year examination.||This course can be pursued after the 12th final year examination.||This course can be pursued after completing a Bachelor’s degree.|
|Job Option||Actor, Theatre Artist, Dancer, Voice over artist etc||Director, Assistant Director, Screenwriter, technical director, etc||Cinematographer, Director of Photography, Cameraman, Video Editor, Videographer etc|
|Average Package||10 LPA||8LPA||7LPA|
Diploma in Acting course Top colleges
The top 10 colleges that offer the Diploma in Acting course are the following:
|College Name||City||Average Annual fees||Average starting Placement Package|
|Anupam Kher’s Actor Prepares the School for Actors||Mumbai||INR 2,25,000-3,50,000||INR 4,00,000-6,00,000|
|Indian Academy of Dramatic Arts||New Delhi||INR 2,00,000-3,00,000||INR 4,50,000-5,00,000|
|Institute of Creative Excellence, New Delhi||New Delhi||INR 1,25,000-2,50,000||INR 4,00,000-6,00,000|
|Institute of Creative Excellence, Kolkata||Kolkata||INR 2,05,000-2,50,000||INR 4,20,000-6,00,000|
|Livewires- The Media Institute||Mumbai||INR 1,25,000-2,50,000||INR 4,00,000-6,00,000|
|Madumati Acting Academy||Mumbai||INR 1,25,000-2,50,000||INR 4,00,000-6,00,000|
|Mumbai Digital Films Academy||Mumbai||INR 2,00,000-2,50,000||INR 4,50,000-5,00,000|
|Roshan Taneja School of Acting||Mumbai||INR 1,25,000-2,50,000||INR 4,00,000-6,00,000|
|Shri Ram Centre for Performing Arts||New Delhi||INR 1,05,000-2,00,000||INR 4,20,000-6,00,000|
|Principal Vmalhotra’s Film Acting School||Mumbai||INR 1,25,000-2,00,000||INR 4,00,000-6,00,000|
Diploma in Acting College Comparison
The diploma in acting is the training of aspirants who wish to pursue acting as a career. Students can learn this course from drama schools or acting Institutes and by pursuing this course they are able to focus on enhancing their acting skills. Below given are the top 3 colleges that offer this Diploma in Acting courses and the comparisons among these colleges are the following:-
|College Name||Anupam Kher’s Actor Prepares the School for Actors||Indian Academy of Dramatic Arts||Institute of Creative Excellence, New Delhi|
|Overview||Actor Prepares is the only institute in the world that is headed by a globally recognized actor who is still active professionally.It was established in 2005 in Mumbai by Anupam Kher as a professional drama school for actors to learn the craft using modern techniques and methods.||Indian Academy of Dramatic Arts is one of the leading institutes based in Delhi and it was established in 2011, with the purpose to offer vocational training for actors who wish to make a career in Films and Television.||It is one of the old and reputed acting schools in India. This institute helps students shape ideas and develop a knack for execution while gaining command over acting, direction, cinematography etc.|
|Place||Mumbai||New Delhi||New Delhi|
|Collegedunia Rating 2020||8.7||8.2||7.6|
|Eligibility||Intermediate Degree/12th final year final examination||Intermediate Degree/12th final year final examination||Intermediate Degree/12th final year final examination|
|Admission||Entrance based Merit-based||Entrance based Merit-based||Entrance based Merit-based|
|Average Annual Package||INR 4,00,000-6,00,000||INR 4,50,000-5,00,000||INR 4,00,000-6,00,000|
|Top Recruiting companies||Drama and Dance Schools Film Industry, Educational Institutes Event Management Companies etc..||Drama and Dance Schools Film Industry, Educational Institutes Event Management Companies etc.||Drama and Dance Schools Film Industry, Educational Institutes Event Management Companies etc.|
Read More:Job Profiles after Diploma in Acting
Diploma in Acting Course Distance Education
Distance Education is available for this Diploma in Acting course. In this distance course, students can pursue acting skills by studying online or visiting the institute once or twice in a week. Distance education is best for the working professional. The Institutions that offer the Diploma in Acting Courseware the following:-
|College Name||Average Annual Fees|
|School of Open and Distance Learning||INR 2,00,000-2,50,000 per annum|
|Indira Gandhi National Open University||INR 2, 25,000-3,00,000 per annum|
Diploma in Acting Course Syllabus
The entire syllabus for the Diploma in Acting course is mentioned below:-
|First Year||Second Year|
|Acting Part-I||Acting Pat-II|
|Yoga||Cultural History and Heritage|
|English Language Course||Yoga and Meditations|
|Third Year||Fourth Year|
|Acting Specialization Part-III||Acting Practical-Specialization in Production of Play Part-V|
|Yoga and Meditations||Internship and Final Project|
|Languages||Production of play before the audience|
|Acting Part-IV (Production Oriented)||-|
Diploma in Acting Course Recommended Books
Important Books and names of the author for the Diploma in Acting course are the following:-
|Learn Acting from Home||Anupam Kher|
|Sanford Meisner on Acting||Sanford Meisner and Dennis Longwell|
|Acting in believing||Charles Migaw|
|Actors talk about acting||Leis Funke & Jones E.Both.|
|In the blink of an eye||Walter Murch|
Also Find: Diploma in acting Admission Process
Diploma in Acting Course Job Prospects and Career Options
Diploma in Acting is a degree which requires practical knowledge more than theoretical knowledge, after pursuing this course students must appear for different auditions and trials to get a perfect desired job. One can also go for masters in the same field or move abroad to learn from internationally recognised institutes.
- The available career options of a student in this course are Assistant Event Manager, Theatre Writer, Acting Consultant, Producer, and Teacher.
- The various areas of employment are in the film industry, drama and dance schools, educational institutes, event management companies, classical dance centers, musical bands, and content writing, etc.
- You may also teach acting in government schools and colleges. But private-sector job opportunities are more available for a student in this Diploma in Acting course.
The best job profiles after this Diploma in Computer course are the following:-
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Salary in INR|
|Assistant Event Manager||Responsible for managing and arranging events, making arrangements and agenda of an event||INR 4,00,000-6,00,000|
|Theatre Writer||Responsible for writing the screenplay to perform for the audiences.||INR 4,00,000-5,50,000|
|Acting Consultant||Responsible for counseling with the clients and giving those best suggestions for the actor depending on the story or script.||INR 4,00,000-5,00,000|
|Producer||Responsible for financial support for making a film||INR 5,00,000-6,00,000|
|Teacher||Responsible for teaching acting to the students||INR 4,25,000-5,00,000|
Diploma in Acting Salary Trend Graph
To understand the jobs associated Diploma in Acting course, the salary trend graph is represented below:-
Diploma in Acting course Future scope
A lot of scopes for the future scopes are available for the students after completing the Diploma in Acting course. Let’s discuss elaborately the future scope of this course below:-
- Students can pursue a Master’s degree in acting courses with one specialization. In this course, students learn about acting courses more elaborately with vast descriptions.
- They can go abroad and learn to perform at theatres and perform for the audiences of different genres and enhance their acting skill.
- Along with Diploma in the acting course, students can opt for other related courses like Diploma in Film direction, diploma in cinematography which is a full-time course for technically combining a simple idea into a big screen for the audience.
- After pursuing this course, they can appear for auditions and stand out on the basis of their knowledge and skills that they have gained throughout the course.
What are the FAQs in Diploma in Acting?
Ques. Do I have to appear for any entrance examination for pursuing this course?
Ques. Can I pursue this course online?
Ques. What is the total duration of this course?
Ques. What are the other similar courses like the Diploma in Acting?
Ques. Can I get a government job after pursuing this course?
Ques. What is the average starting salary of a diploma holder in the Acting course?
Ques. Can I pursue this course after completing graduation?
Ques. Does this diploma in the Acting course is good nor non-creative for people?
Ques. Is there any distance education available for this course?
Ques. Is pursuing this course very costly?