MDS in Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics is a postgraduate course in dentistry. Conservative Dentistry is concerned with the prevention and treatment of diseases and injuries that originate in the teeth. In this type of medication, diseased or fractured teeth are restored with materials that are biologically acceptable. Endodontics is the science of prevention and treatment of pulp and periradicular diseases.
This specialty pertains to saving infected teeth and maintaining their strength and integrity in the dental arch.
MDS in Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics covers the techniques and procedures employed in restoring ailing teeth to full function and appearance. The course trains candidates in performing root canal treatments and associated surgical procedures to rid the tooth of maladies. The course’s curriculum covers subjects such as fillings, root canal treatments, surgical endodontics, endodontic implants, bleaching and management of traumatized teeth.
The average course fee charged in India ranges between INR 4 and 5 lacs for the total duration. The average annual salary offered in India to successful postgraduates of the course ranges between INR 8-10 lacs.
Top Colleges for Master of Dental Surgery [MDS] (Conservative Dentistry & Endodontics)
- Master of Dental Surgery [MDS] (Conservative Dentistry & Endodontics) in Andhra Pradesh
- Master of Dental Surgery [MDS] (Conservative Dentistry & Endodontics) in Punjab
- Master of Dental Surgery [MDS] (Conservative Dentistry & Endodontics) in Maharashtra
- Master of Dental Surgery [MDS] (Conservative Dentistry & Endodontics) in Tamil Nadu
- Master of Dental Surgery [MDS] (Conservative Dentistry & Endodontics) in Uttar Pradesh
MDS in Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics: Course Highlights
Listed below are some of the major highlights of the course
|Examination Type||Semester System|
|Eligibility||Graduate from a recognized university|
|Admission Process||Direct admission to colleges. Entrance test in some cases.|
|Course Fee||INR 4-5 lacs|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 8-10 lacs|
|Top Recruiting Fields/Areas||Hospitals, Clinics, Consultancy Services, Dental Colleges, etc.|
MDS in Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics: What is it About?
MDS in Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics is an extensive course requiring enrolled students to undergo extensive training in a variety of specialties. These include seminars, journal review meetings, symposia, conferences, case presentations, pre-clinical exercises, clinics and didactic lectures. These are held yearly and also include research activities.
Enrolled students are assessed periodically and examinations are conducted at the end of three years.
MDS in Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics: Who should opt?
Ideal candidates of the course would:
- be interested and have the aptitude for the restoration, rehabilitation and maintenance of teeth.
- have acritical mind for reading and understanding scientific literature and manufacturer's advertising claims.
- have an aptitude for independent research and an interest in practicing innovative treatment protocols.
Top Institutes offering MDS in Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics
Listed below are some of the top institutes offering the course in the country with the corresponding locations and fees charged by each.
|Name||City||Average Fees in INR|
|Sumandeep Vidyapeeth University||Vadodara||4,57,000|
|Maharishi Markandeshwar University||Ambala||6,86,000|
|West Bengal University of Health Sciences - WBUHS||Kolkata||4,50,000|
|Sibar Institute of Dental Sciences||Guntur, Andhra Pradesh||18,000|
|Army College of Dental Sciences - [ACDS]||Secunderabad||3,53,000|
|Dayananda Sagar Institutions - [DSI]||Bangalore||1,20,000|
|Babu Banarasi Das University - [BBDU]||Lucknow||8,00,000|
|Sri Ramachandra Medical College and Research Institute, [SRI SRMC&RI]||Chennai||10,50,000|
|Pravara Institute of Medical Sciences University, [PIMS]||Ahmednagar||2,31,600|
|Dr. DY Patil Vidyapeeth - [DPU]||Pune||6,70,000|
|Manipal College of Dental Sciences||Manipal||1,50,000|
Eligibility for MDS in Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics
As a minimum criterion of eligibility, aspiring candidates need to have attained the 10+2 qualification with Biology, Chemistry and Physics as main subjects, and with a minimum aggregate score of 55%.
Also, candidates are needed to have completed B.D.S. with a minimum aggregate score of 55%. Often, candidates are required to qualify an institute, State or national-level entrance test for admission to the course.
MDS in Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics: Admission Process
The process of admission to the course may vary across institutes. Some institutes conduct their own entrance exams for admission, while some select students on the basis of their score at the level of graduation, completed from a recognized college/university.
Listed here are some such major entrance exams held in the country.
- All India Postgraduate Dental Entrance Examination (AIPGDEE): It is a national level entrance examination conducted by the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), New Delhi.
- NEET MDS: This eligibility cum entrance exam serves as a basis of admission to the course. The exam is conducted by NBE and serves as a gateway for admission to most of the State Dental colleges, private universities, deemed universities and private dental colleges.
- Telangana EAMCET AC: TS EAMCET (Engineering, Agriculture & Medical Common Entrance Test) is an entrance exam conducted by Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University Hyderabad. This is the prerequisite for admission into various professional courses offered at universities/ private colleges in the State of Telangana.
- ACDS PG-WAT: Army College of Dental Sciences (ACDS), Secunderabad, conducts the Post Graduate Written Test (PG-WAT) for admission to the course.
MDS in Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics: Syllabus and Course Description
A year-wise breakup of the course’s syllabus is tabulated below.
|Applied Anatomy of Head and Neck|
|Clinical Exercise I|
|Clinical Exercise III|
MDS in Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics: Career Prospects
Some of the popular professional avenues open to successful postgraduates of the course are listed below with the corresponding salaries offered for the respective positions.
|Job Position||Job Description||Average Annual Salary in INR|
|Dentist||A dentist removes tooth decay, fills cavities, and repairs fractured teeth. They diagnose and treat problems with patients' teeth, gums, and related parts of the mouth. They provide advice and instruction on taking care of the teeth and gums and on diet choices that affect oral health.||3-6 lacs|
|Oral Surgeon||An Oral Surgeon follows procedures that include repairing injuries due to facial trauma, reconstruction to correct birth defects, and treatment of malignant cysts and tumors in the mouth and neck area.||5-7 lacs|
|Dental lab Technician||They replace partial or total loss of natural teeth by constructing partial or full dentures, which are either metal or non-metal. They restore natural teeth by fabricating crowns and bridges. Also, they correct dental irregularities by manufacturing fixed or removable teeth appliances.||2-4 lacs|
|Orthopedist||An Orthopedist focuses on the diagnosis, care, and treatment of patients with disorders of the bones, joints, muscles, ligaments, tendons, nerves, and skin.||8-10 lacs|