MDS in Periodontology is a 3-year post graduate program that is a branch of dentistry that deals with proper arrangement of teeth. It cures the teeth suffering from ailments of teeth including the gums, cementum, periodontal layers, and alveolar bone.
Students aspiring to take admission in MDS Periodontology course need complete BDS from a recognized university, with a minimum aggregate score of 55%.
The basic admission criteria to most Institutes is based on entrance. Some of the entrance exams AIPGDEE and NEET-MDS.
Master of Dental Surgery [MDS] (Periodontology) Top Colleges are King’s George Medical University, A B Shetty Memorial Institute of Dental Sciences, SRM Dental College, Awadh Dental College and Hospital, Kalinga Institute of Dental Sciences, etc. The average tuition fee charged for the course in India ranges between INR 50,000-INR 35,00,000 for a span of 3 years.
See Also: MDS Periodontology Colleges in India
Subjects covered under Applied Anatomy, Etiopathogenesis, Oral Implantology, Partial Dental Prosthesis, Recent Activities in Periodontics, etc.
The candidates can be hired as Consultant, Professors, Forensics, Dental surgeon, Oral pathologist, Dental hygienist, Dental Assistant, Private practitioners, Public health specialists, Dental Lab, Technician/ Ceramist and Medical Representative/ Sales Representative. Dental surgeons also have the option of pursuing private practice.
The average annual starting salary offered to successful postgraduates of the course ranges between INR 1,00,000 and INR 10,00,000. Some of the Top recruiters of MDS in Periodontology scholars are Kailash Hospital, Metro Hospital, Max Hospital, Fortis Hospital, Research institutes, universities, etc.
MDS Periodontology: Course Highlights
|Course Level||Post Graduation|
|Examination Type||Year Based|
|Eligibility||BDS with minimum 55% marks in aggregate|
|Admission Process||Based on the candidate’s performance in a relevant entrance exam|
|Course Fee||INR 50,000 to INR 35 LPA|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 2 to INR 10 LPA|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Kailash Hospital, Metro Hospital, Max Hospital, Fortis Hospital, Research institutes, universities, and teaching hospitals, NGOs, Private Practice, etc.|
|Job Positions||Consultant, Professors, Forensics, Dental Surgeon, Oral Pathologist, Dental Hygienist, Dental Assistant, Private Practitioners, Public Health Specialists, Dental Lab, Technician/ Ceramist, Medical Representative/ Sales Representative, etc.|
MDS Periodontology: Admission Process
Majority of the institutes offer the course to the students based on their performance in a relevant entrance test. Some colleges even provide direct admission, based on the candidate’s marks in their graduation exams.
The most common entrance exam relevant to the course is the national-level online NEET MDS. Students are further assessed based on their performance in the subsequent rounds of counselling conducted by the concerned university/institute.
The round of counseling comprises 2 additional rounds of Group Discussion and Personal Interview, where the candidate’s general aptitude for the course is tested. A merit list is then released by the institute, allocating seats to the qualifying candidates.
In order to fill the application for the course, students have to visit the official website of their choice of college and register themselves first. Next, they will have to log in and fill the application form and submit the same along with the scanned copies of required documents.
MDS Periodontology: Eligibility Criteria
Students need to qualify the below written criteria in order to gain admission in MDS Periodontology
- BDS (Bachelor of Dental Surgery) completed from an institute recognized by the Dental Council of India (DCI).
- A minimum aggregate score of 55% (general) and 45% (SC/ST) at the level of graduation.
MDS Periodontology: Entrance Exams
There are mainly two entrance exams conducted by colleges for granting admission to students in the MDS Periodontology course. These Entrance exams are-
- AIPGDEE- AIPGDEE is a national-level entrance exam conducted by AIIMS, New Delhi for admission in the MDS course. This exam is usually conducted in the months of October and November.
- NEET MDS- NEET MDS is an All India Entrance Examination held across India to grant admission to the students in the MDS Periodontology course. This entrance exam is conducted in the month of October.
|Name of the Exam||Date of Registration||Date of Exam|
|AIPGDEE||October 2021||December 2021|
|NEET MDS||The fourth week of October, 2020||The third week of December, 2020|
MDS Periodontology: How to prepare for Entrance Exams?
The entrance examination is conducted all over India. Students must start preparing at least 1.5 years for successfully giving the exam.
- The syllabus will be based on Bachelor of Dental Sciences. The syllabus consists of topics like: Orthodontics, Oral anatomy, Pedodontics, Oral medicine and Radiology, Periodontics, Prosthodontics, Oral pathology, Pharmacology, Public health, Human anatomy, Human physiology, Dental materials, Oral surgery, Conservative Dentistry.
The entrance exams would include:
- 200 multiple-choice questions of 1 mark each. There are negative markings in the examination.
- The duration of the examination is 2.5-3 hours.
MDS Periodontology: How to get Admission to a Good College?
- Students must prepare really well for the entrance exam so that they can score really good in the exam and secure a seat for them in their choice of college.
- Some colleges also grant admission based on the students’ result in the BDS Periodontology course. So, Students are advised to give their BDS Periodontology exam well.
- Students should have an idea of their tentative score in their entrance exam.
- Students must also shortlist their choice of colleges so that they can aim for getting a good score accordingly.
MDS Periodontology: Syllabus
|Year I||Year II||Year III|
|Applied Anatomy||Applied Basic Science||Allied Clinical Sciences|
|Etiopathogenesis||Etiopathogenesis Periodontal Diseases||Complete Denture Prosthesis|
|Oral Implantology||Preventive Periodontology||Partial Dental Prosthesis|
|Clinical Periodontology||Recent Activities in Periodontics||Fixed Partial Prosthesis|
MDS Periodontology: Important Books
Some important books on MDS in Periodontology course are:
|Name of the Book||Publisher|
|Tissue Preservation in Caries Treatment||Quintessence Publishing Co. Ltd.|
|Molecular Biology of Periodontium||Jaypee Publisher|
|Ethics and Laws in Dental Hygiene||Saunder|
|Clinical Periodontology||Prism Saunder|
|Understanding Periodontal Disease||Quintessence Publishing Co. Ltd.|
MDS Periodontology: What is it About?
Periodontics is the branch of dentistry that focuses on the prevention of, and treatment of illnesses related to teeth, for example, the gum tissue and the jaw bones. It therefore looks after the wellbeing and appearance of the dental tissues and structure.
Upon successful completion of the course, such postgraduates need to complete a residency program, which consists of treatments of periodontal disorders first-hand.
Periodontists' role in dentistry is crucial as it serves to cure diseases surrounding the teeth. Microscopic organisms can cause ailments and irritation around the gums and if they are left untreated then situations can deteriorate. Therefore, such professionals are required for proper treatment.
Why Study MDS in Periodontology?
MDS in Periodontology deals with professional knowledge and skills on dentistry.
- Candidates, who want to build a career in dental and oral specialty, should pursue this course to be affiliated as an expert.
- After completion of the study, candidates get to start their career as the experts in Dental Surgery in specialization of their choice.
- Job opportunities like Dental Surgeon, Dental Hygienist, Academic Lecturer, Clinical Research Scientist, General Practitioner , Public Health Manager, Ceramic Designer are abundant in this field of study.
MDS Periodontology: Top Colleges
|Name of the College||Course Fee|
|King’s George Medical University||INR 39,067|
|A B Shetty Memorial Institute of Dental Sciences||INR 9,53,000|
|SRM Dental College||INR 12,00,000|
|Awadh Dental College and Hospital||INR 12,30,000|
|Kalinga Institute of Dental Sciences||INR 10,30,000|
|Sri Guru Ram Das Dental Institute Of Dental Sciences and Research||INR 11,40,000|
|Subharti Dental College||INR 7,08,000|
|Sibar Institute of Dental Sciences||INR 18,000|
|Guru nanak Institute of Dental Institute and research||INR 1,95,000|
MDS Periodontology: College Comparison
|Parameters||King’s George Medical University||AB Shetty Memorial Institute of Dental Sciences|
|Overview||King’s George Medical University offers a 3-years post graduate MDS course in Periodontology. The college assesses its students based on yearly exams.||AB Shetty Memorial Institute of Dental Sciences offers the postgraduate course in MDS in Periodontology. Students have to give 3 term exams in total.|
|Course Level||Post Graduate||Post Graduate|
|Duration||3 years||3 years|
|Admission Process||Entrance Exam||Entrance Exam|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 1,08,000||INR 10,08,000|
|Average Salary Package||INR 5 LPA - INR 10 LPA||INR 6 LPA - INR 10 LPA|
MDS Periodontology: Course Comparison
MDS in Periodontology vs MDS in Oral Medicine and Radiology
|Parameters||MDS in Periodontology||MDS in Oral Medicine and Radiology|
|Full Form||Master in Dental Sciences Periodontology||Master in Dental Sciences Oral Medicine and Radiology|
|Overview||MDS in Periodontology is a 3-year post graduate program. The minimum eligibility criterion for applying to the course is a BDS degree from a recognized university, with a minimum aggregate score of 55%.||Masters of Dental Sciences in Oral Medicine and radiology is a 3-year full time postgraduate course.The eligibility criteria is having a bachelor’s degree in dental sciences with a minimum of 55% marks|
|Duration||3 years||3 years|
|Degree Type||Post Graduation||Post Graduation|
|Admission Process||Entrance Exam||Entrance Exam or Merit-Based|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 50,000- INR 35,00,000||INR 54,000- INR 24,00,000|
|Average Salary Package||INR 3 LPA- INR 10 LPA||INR 3.13 LPA|
MDS Periodontology: Job Prospects and Career Options
A student completing an MDS course in Periodontology has numerous career prospects such as Dental Specialists, Assistants, Ceramic Designers and Pathologists. They can even opt for Academic prospects like being a professor in the field. The average salary ranges between INR 1,00,000 to INR 10,00,000.
|Job Profiles||Description||Average Salary|
|Public Health Managers||They are experienced and qualified in working the general public health administration.Their Job duties may include overseeing and supporting groups, imparting general wellbeing skills to organizations and communities, and overseeing general public health spending plans.||INR 8,00,000|
|Dental Specialist||A Dental Specialist is an expert in general dentistry. Specialists perform tooth extractions and reconstructive surgery,||INR 3,12,000|
|Dental Assistance||They are responsible for making patients comfortable in the dental seat for treatment, and for acquiring their dental records||INR 2,68,000|
|Ceramic Designers||Ceramic Designers are hired by makers of ceramic tooth products, or they can also work autonomously as specialists. They perform hands-on pottery outline and creation exercises, inquire about plans and new materials.||INR 4,00,000|
|Pathologists||Pathologists decide whether an oral contamination is caused by microscopic organisms, infection, or parasites. They likewise provide treatments for ailments and reasons for their occurrence, and in accordance, suggest treatment.||INR 10,00,000|
Salary Graph Trend
MDS Periodontology: Future Scopes
In the Medical profession, career growth is always uprising due to ever increasing demand. Additionally, due to the poor oral health condition with several oral addictions of common people, India always needs qualified Dental professionals. A MDS in Periodontology candidate can further improve his or her career in two broad ways:
- PhD: Doctoral degree is one of the finest academic qualifications that help in securing bright future options in the fields of Dental Surgery.
- Professional Scope: After acquiring an MDS degree and gaining experiences, candidates can apply for higher ranking positions in different colleges, hospitals. Private practice is another prosperous future scope. With experience and degree, he or she can prosper in private practice quite successfully.
- Graduates in MDS can find career opportunities in the Private Dental Clinics, Dental Departments of Hospitals, Dental Clinics of Government Health Clinics, Academic Institutions, Pharmaceutical Research Centers for Oral care products sectors and in many more areas.
MDS Periodontology: FAQs
QUES. Does the college provide for campus placement to its MDS Periodontology students?
QUES.Is the MDS Periodontology course easy?
QUES. How many exams are arranged for MDS Periodontology?
QUES. What is the selection procedure in Colleges for the BDS Periodontology course?
QUES. What is the duration of the MDS Periodontology course?
QUES. What are the prime recruiters in the private sectors of the MDS Periodontology students?
- Kailash Hospital,
- Metro Hospital,
- Max Hospital,
- Fortis Hospital
QUES. What is the average salary earned by Periodontology dental personnel?
QUES.What is the average college fee in Government colleges providing MDS Periodontology course?
QUES. What are the documents required in the counseling procedure?
QUES. What are the after study students can pursue after MDS Periodontology?