Technical University Ilmenau (TU Ilmenau): Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
Established in 1894, the Technische Universität Ilmenau, often known as TU Ilmenau, Germany is a public research university. Programs offered at TU Ilmenau include 19 Bachelor’s and 25 Master’s degrees. It is a perfect spot for cultural exchange with many students at the university coming from different nations. It offers a vibrant campus life with a number of student clubs, organizations, and a range of cultural and performing events.
With 5,225 students (as of 2020), it is a small institute offering room for personal contact between students and university teachers. It attracts a lot of international students to study in Germany with 31% of its student body being international. TU Ilmenau supports individual well-being through numerous student, cultural, and sporting associations and initiatives in and outside the university.
TU ILMENAU Rankings
|#801-1000th World Ranking||Times Higher Education|
|#62nd National Rank||CWUR|
|#1390 World Rank||CWUR|
|#66th Rank in Germany||US News|
|#515th Rank in Europe||US News|
|#1356th Rank Globally||US News|
|#57 Country Rank||UNI Rank|
|#890 World Rank||UNI Rank|
|Location||Ilmenau, Thuringia, Germany|
|Application Fee||25 EURO|
|Academic Calendar||Semester Based|
|Intake Sessions||Winter And Summer|
|Mode of Payment||Online|
|Official Website||TU Ilmenau|
TU ILMENAU Campus
- There are a number of students' clubs, organizations, and associations, such as a film, a radio broadcast, an orchestra, an ensemble, and a major band. Different associations include "Wohnzimmer Kultur", which arranges concerts in students' living rooms, and theatre groups.
- The University Sports Center: It offers a wide range of sports activities including a gym and a rock-climbing wall. The university also has many sports groups and clubs.
- There are bars, cafes, restaurants, and a cinema in the town center and a bowling alley in Pörlitzer Höhe.
- TU Ilmenau has several supermarkets close to campus like Netto (150m), Aldi (700m), Kaufland (800m), and Edeka (1000m).
TU ILMENAU Residence
- It offers accommodation facilities to Bachelor’s and Master’s students. There are no accommodation facilities for Ph.D. students, researchers, and lecturers. They have to find private accommodation. Offers are available on campus, in the town of Ilmenau itself, and the surrounding communities as well.
- Accommodation is offered by the university, municipal housing companies, housing co-operations, and private landlords.
- TU Ilmenau has an International Meeting Centre that houses 8 one-room, 3 two-room, 4 three-room, and 1 four-room apartment.
- It also houses a seminar and meeting room and has facilities like washing machines, telephone and internet access, garden, barbecue, and a playground. The rental period is 6 months to 2 years.
- There are three newly furnished and equipped apartments in the city area at the Helios building situated on the smaller city campus which is almost 1.5 km from the main campus.
TU ILMENAU Programs
- It offers 19 Bachelor's and 25 Master's courses as well as two diploma courses in the subject groups of engineering, mathematics, and natural sciences as well as economics and social sciences.
- TU Ilmenau does not offer any structured doctoral program. The students have to conduct individual research in their PhD supported by a scientific supervisor. The lectures or seminars that are to be attended are also determined individually.
- The majority of the master's programs are taught in the English language but some are offered only in German such as Engineering Sciences, Mathematics, and Natural Sciences, and Business, and Social Studies.
- Programs at TU are offered through:
- Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Information Technology
- Faculty of Computer Science and Automation
- Faculty of Mechanical Engineering
- Faculty of Mathematics and Science
- Faculty of Economics and Media
TU ILMENAU Application Process
Application Portal: Applicants can apply for the TU Ilmenau admissions through the official website.
Application Fee: 25 EURO
- Winter Semester – July 15
- Summer Semester – January 15
- Completed Application
- Official Transcripts:
- University Entrance Qualification or Equivalent Transcripts or Entrance Examination
- Bachelor’s Degree (Graduate admissions)
- Program-specific requirements
- English Language Proficiency for English taught programs
- German Language Proficiency for German taught programs
Minimum German Language Requirements:
|TestDaF||4 x 4 points|
|TestDaF for technical subjects||2 x 4 points, 2 x 3 points|
Minimum English Language Requirements:
TU ILMENAU Cost Of Attendance
|Administrative Fee||96.40 Euro per semester|
|Rental Fee||210 Euro|
|Health Insurance, Hobbies, Culture||120 Euro|
|Traveling Expenses||80 Euro|
TU ILMENAU Financial Aids For International Students
Applicants can apply for the following scholarships to study in the Germany:
- The DAAD: It is the largest scholarship provider in Germany for foreign doctoral candidates. With the help of the Ministry of Education and Research, the DAAD supports foreign doctoral candidates studying in Germany.
- The Germany Scholarship: It gives 300 Euro per month, for at least one year independent of income. The recipients receive in total 3,600 Euro per year. It is given to graduate students.
- Ph.D. Completion Scholarship: 715 Euro per month is given to scientists for a maximum of 3 months towards the end of their Ph.D.
- Contact Scholarship: 715 Euro per month is given for a maximum of 6 months to qualified scientists who due to unemployment or professional activities overseas, have lost touch with their area of expertise and wish to re-establish work-related contacts.
- Conference Travel Grants: Scientists are qualified for funding to travel to a conference if a poster, presentation, or paper was submitted and acknowledged. Successful applicants will be supported by travel candidates and conference charges.
TU ILMENAU Alumni
The university’s alumni benefits and services include:
- IfMK's alumni activities proffer networking with its staff and your fellow graduates. Alumni can utilize various online platforms and meetings organized by the university to keep in touch.
- Alumni are invited to class reunions, alumni days, and several other events.
- Advantage from the IfMK's further/continuing training and extra qualification prospects that the Institute offers online and offline.
- The university offers consulting and support to Alumni wanting to start their own business or company. Furthermore, 'auftakt. Das Gründerforum Ilmenau' connects people who are keen on starting up a business with investors, sponsors, and supporters.
- Alumni have the privilege to give presentations and lectures or courses at the university, alongside the university assists in joint research projects.
Notable alumni of the university are:
- Matthias Platzeck: Minister-President of Brandenburg and party chairman of the SPD.
- Claudia Nolte: German politician of the Christian Democratic Union (CDU), was the youngest cabinet minister in the history of German whilst in office from 1994–98 and was Federal Minister.
- Dieter Kalka: German writer, dramatist, poet, songwriter, speech therapist, editor, translator, and musician.
TU ILMENAU Placements
- It helps students to get placement opportunities in and out of Germany.
- Different placement programmes are organized such as Möglichkeiten von Auslandspraktika
- TU Ilmenau provides jobs and internship opportunities through the European job portal JobTeaser.
- A number of recruiters from well-known companies actively approach and hire TU Ilmenau graduates.
- Full-time jobs are also offered by the graduate school to students with outstanding academic records.
- Graduates of the TU Ilmenau can complete a funded internship after graduation
What are the courses offered by TU Ilmenau?
It offers 19 undergraduate and 25 graduate programs in the fields of Engineering, Mathematics and Natural Sciences, Law, Economics and Social Sciences, and Humanities.
What is the admission process for International students in TU Ilmenau?
International students are required to provide high school qualification for university entrance or bachelor's degree whichever is relevant along with English or German proficiency, resume for master's, passport copy.
Does TU Ilmenau provide Career services?
The University provides career services through the JobTeaser portal where they can explore a number of jobs and internship opportunities.
Does TU Ilmenau provide housing facilities?
The university provides on-campus and off-campus facilities for bachelor's and master's students. Ph.D. or research students are required to arrange accommodation on their own. Students may choose from a number of housing options available on the campus and outside the campus.
Does TU Ilmenau offer Scholarships to international students?
Yes. Scholarships are offered by DAAD funding programs, the PROMOS program, and Erasmus. Some partially funded scholarships are also available.
When can I apply for TU Ilmenau admissions?
It invites admission in the Summer and Winter semesters. Please note that not all programs are offered in both semesters. Also, admission deadlines for graduate programs may differ. The deadline for the Winter semester is April 15 to July 15 and the deadline for the Summer semester is October 15 to January 15.
How many international students study at TU Ilmenau?
It attracts a lot of international students to study in Germany with 31% of its student body being international.
FIND A PROGRAM
Times Higher Education
RANKED #801 - #1000
RANKED #501 - #600
RANKED #501 - #600
RANKED #501 - #600
RANKED #601 - #800
Since childhood, I am living with my uncle. He is looking after everything which includes studies too. He had an official transfer to Germany so I with his family has shifted there. It was the time when I have completed my high school and want to further pursue my bachelors. I applied to this college as it was nearest to the place where I was living. I applied via their online admission portal for which I have paid an application fee of € 25.
Course Curriculum :
My course structure teaches the basics in the fields of automation, modeling, analysis, system theory, regulation and optimization of technical processes. It is located between engineering and applied mathematics and deals with the description, analysis, and control of dynamic processes. All in all, it is providing in-depth knowledge needed by the masters in this field.
- Bus Station
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary