Free University of Berlin: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
Free University of Berlin began as an international institution from the time it was founded in 1948, Berlin, Germany. Supported by American Allies and Berlin Politics, the institution was set up by students and academicians and is currently a renowned name in the list of top German universities. Out of 33,000 students receiving education at the university, 13% in Bachelor’s course and 27% in Master’s course are international students.
Free University of Berlin has 11 departments and a total of 178 courses to choose from. Multiple surveys have placed the university amongst the 5 best universities in Germany. The research-based public university has hosted 5 Nobel Prize winners as its staff and is globally ranked at #104 by Times Higher Education, World University Rankings 2019. Admissions at Free University of Berlin are available in 2 intakes of Winter and Summer.
Free University of Berlin has always secured respectable rankings in prestigious surveys-
- Times Higher Education ranked the university 24th amongst universities in Europe.
- Ranked 6th among Best Global Universities in Germany by US News.
- Ranked 1st nationwide in the subject category of ‘Arts and Humanities’ by Times Higher Education.
- 117th in World University Rankings 2020 by Times Higher Education.
Campus and Accommodation
- Free University of Berlin has four central institutes and six graduate schools. Most of the facilities are centred at the main location of Dahlem School of Education, however Institute of East European Studies, Institute of Latin American Studies and JFK Institute of North American Studies form an integral part of the university.
- The University Library is the central attraction of the institution. It’s equipped with individual and group work rooms and has manuscripts, research texts and e-content. Campus Library containing academic and research material for Psychology, Science, Maths, Computer Science and Cultural Studies is also accessible to students.
- The Botanical Garden and Museum is another treasure on campus and is located at the Königin-Luise-Street. On the same street is the University sports complex for the sports enthusiasts.
- Students at Free University of Berlin are active participants in the educational and cultural system. Their representation is made through the student body. Furthermore, engaging students in cultural aspects apart from academic excellence is of utmost importance and thus choir, theatre, orchestra and many other groups are formed.
- The university offers accommodation to students in association with ERG Universitätsservice GmbH. These residential rooms are available at Studierendenwerk Berlin and Studentendorf Schlachtensee. The apartments at IBZ are available only for doctorates and scientists.
- Single rooms with shared facilities and single/studio apartments are available for accommodation. In the single room with shared facilities option, students get the basic facilities of washroom, kitchen, and internet, dryer and washing machine (available for additional fee).
- Studio apartments consist of the basic amenities along with gym, gaming room, study area, TV area, and laundry services. Studio apartments are available at Neon Wood and The Student Hostel.
- The rate list for these accommodations is as follows-
|Type of room||Monthly rental|
|Standard room (The Student Hostel)||844 EUR|
|Standard Plus room (The Student Hostel)||971 EUR|
|Single room with shared facilities (Dormitory Halbauer Weg)||250 EUR|
- Alternatively, Free University of Berlin does provide a list of all the residence options that a student can avail if he wishes to arrange his own stay in Berlin. The list can be accessed at https://www.fu-berlin.de/en/sites/unterbringung/individuell/Alternative-Accommodation_05_2020.pdf.
- Free University of Berlin has a course catalogue offering 178 courses on Mono Bachelors, Masters and Doctoral level in the humanities, arts, science and natural science discipline. Some of the courses are solely associated with the university, while others are in cooperation with other prestigious universities.
- English is the medium of teaching for a lot of courses considering the lack of German language knowledge in a lot of international applicants. Some popular courses from the aforementioned category are MS in Data Science, MA in Global History, MA Sociology- European Societies, and MS in Mathematics.
- The university also offers some master’s courses for continuing studies candidates in the field of marketing, management, anthropology, science, research, etc.
- MS in Data Science is a popularly chosen course by international candidates as it is taught in the English medium. Applicants need to produce an English language proof along with certain specific score requirements in the bachelor’s degree. Knowledge of computer programming languages such as C++, Java, Python, etc. is mandatory.
Free university of Berlin Application Process
Application portal: Online portal
Application fee: 10 EUR
Supporting documents: Following documents must be kept ready in order to draft a successful application at Free University of Berlin-
- School and University certificates
- Final certificate of first degree with grade.
- Translation of certificates (if not originally in English) by sworn translators or an agency that provides translations for government purposes.
- German language proof
- English language proof
- Statement of purpose.
- Financial guarantee proof
- Letters of recommendation
- Copy of passport
- Resume (if applicable)
- Motivational letter
- APS Certificate for students from China and Vietnam.
Free University of Berlin Cost of Attendance
- Free University of Berlin does not charge tuition except for the continuing studies program. Rather, students are to pay the semester fee which is mostly subject to change every semester.
- The semester fee for winter 2020-21 is 312.89 EUR. The breakdown for this fees comprising cost of living in Germany is as follows-
|Fee type||Amount per semester|
|Enrollment fee||50 EUR|
|Contribution to Students Support Service||54.09 EUR|
|Contribution to Students Union||10 EUR|
|Transportation ticket contribution||198.8 EUR|
- Living expenses in Berlin can cost about 600-700 EUR on an average. This includes rent, food, study material, health insurance, clothing, etc.
Financial Aid for International Students
- Free University of Berlin does not offer scholarships in Germany for international students on its own, but does associate with the Center for International Cooperation (CIC) that bridges this gap. Short time financial assistance is provided to maintain international associations.
- German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) offers scholarships every year for Russian Federation. These can be availed by students pursuing language courses, masters and doctoral programs, and academic internships.
- German Research Organizations, like DFG, FhG, MPG, etc. also offer grants for research projects or individual researchers.
- The Library of John F. Kennedy institute offers grants to multiple students every year from its impressive collections. Advanced scholars and Ph.D. candidates can avail this scholarship.
Free University of Berlin reserves benefits for alumni in the networking, invitation and discount categories. These benefits are as follows-
- Invitation to university events.
- Opportunity for networking.
- Access to multiple newsletters from the university.
- Registration for email updates from the university.
- Discount on sports program, GasthorerCard CLASSIC and Annual Longnight of Sciences.
- Andrea Fischer, Former member of German Bundestag
- Michael Roes, German Writer and Filmmaker
- Jacques de Caso, Historian
Free University of Berlin takes part in the European Career Fair, apart from the other career fairs across Berlin and Germany. Stellenticket Freie Universität Berlin is the job portal where students can look for a position that suits one’s interest and qualifications.
International Career service is also provided at the university to hone the skills of students who wish to work abroad. Free University of Berlin also posts vacancies for professorships, academic and non-academic staff. These vacancies are also available on university job portal and students with the desired credentials can apply for the same.
Students placed in the Financial Services sector have bagged the highest package which can range from 1,00,000 EUR-1,45,000 EUR. As per educational degree, Master of Science pass outs have proved the most successful.
FIND A PROGRAM
|Free University of Berlin||Humboldt University of Berlin||Technical University Munich||University of Stuttgart|
|collegedunia score||6.1 Out of 10||6.2 Out of 10||6.2 Out of 10||4.3 Out of 10|
|ranking (overall)||# 56 Times Higher Education 2021 |
# 59 Center for World University Rankings 2021
# 101 Times Higher Education 2021
|# 40 Times Higher Education 2021 |
# 66 Center for World University Rankings 2021
# 76 Times Higher Education 2021
|# 41 Times Higher Education 2021 |
# 46 Times Higher Education 2021
# 50 QS World University 2021
|# 333 QS World University 2021 |
# 351 Times Higher Education 2021
# 401 Times Higher Education 2021
|subject strength||# 27 for Arts by Times Higher Education 2021 |
# 27 for Humanities by Times Higher Education 2021
# 64 for Education by Times Higher Education 2021
|# 20 for Arts by Times Higher Education 2021 |
# 20 for Humanities by Times Higher Education 2021
# 25 for Law by Times Higher Education 2021
|# 14 for Computer Science by Times Higher Education 2021 |
# 24 for Engineering by Times Higher Education 2021
# 24 for Technology by Times Higher Education 2021
|# 126 for Engineering by Times Higher Education 2021 |
# 126 for Technology by Times Higher Education 2021
# 151 for Computer Science by Times Higher Education 2021
|programs||UG Programs -42|
PG Programs -55
|PG Programs -11|
Doctorate Programs -3
|UG Programs -15|
PG Programs -47
Doctorate Programs -1
|UG Programs -52|
PG Programs -63
|exam score||GRE - 309|
GMAT - 625
TOEFL - 100
IELTS - 7
|GMAT - 700|
TOEFL - 110
IELTS - 7.5
|GRE - 320|
GMAT - 700
IELTS - 7.5
TOEFL - 104
|IELTS - 7.5|
TOEFL - 99.5
|cost to study||Hostel + Meal - 5992 USD Per Year||Average Tuition Fees 9976.71 USD|
[For PG Program]
Hostel + Meal - 7326 USD Per Year
|Average Tuition Fees 144 USD|
[For UG Program]
Average Tuition Fees 144 USD
[For PG Program]
Hostel + Meal - 23310 USD Per Year
|Average Tuition Fees 3330 USD|
[For UG Program]
Average Tuition Fees 3330 USD
[For PG Program]
Hostel + Meal - 41615 USD Per Year
|placement (average package)|
Graduate Employability Ranking- #90 (THE- 2019); Highest paid degrees- Masters in Science (126,000 USD); Masters in Finance (129,000 USD); Masters of Arts (80,000 USD); LLM (86,000 USD).
Graduate Employability Ranking- #34 (THE, 2019); Doctorate (106,000 USD); PhD (103,000 USD); LLM (100,000 USD); Masters in Science (66,000 USD).
Tie-ups with around 800 start-ups set up by alumni and faculty.
Graduate employability rankings’ 20: #191-200.
Admission application via uni-assist; graduation certificate & transcripts; translated documents in German or English; proof of English language proficiency; sufficient knowledge of German language (if required for master’s program); Statement of purpose; Financial guarantee proof; LORs; Resume (if applicable); Motivational letter.
Language proficiency (English & German); Academic transcripts; Enrolment certificate; application through uni-assist; Copy of the passport; LOR, Statement of purpose, Resume
Applications are invited through Uni-assist, German language proficiency is required for most UG program, GRE/GATE scores are required for some masters programs.
International students can only apply for winter semester. German language proficiency is mandatory for most programs.
|collegedunia reviews||9.0/10 Read 1 reviews||8.5/10 Read 1 reviews||8.0/10 Read 19 reviews||7.9/10 Read 4 reviews|
|-||Read Full Comparison||Read Full Comparison||Read Full Comparison|
Application Portal : https://identity.fu-berlin.de/registration/account?execution=e1s1
Winter Deadline Deadlines
Summer Deadline Deadlines
|total faculty||full time||part time||graduate assistants|
Times Higher Education
RANKED #201 - #250
RANKED #151 - #175
View More >>
QS World University
My father's friend is working here at this university as a professor. When he came to know about my interest in computer science and that I have completed my bachelor's in it and I want to opt for my masters further. He suggested me to apply to this university as the faculty of computer science was very efficient there. I applied to the university online by paying an application fee of € 75.
Course Curriculum :
This course is broadly divided into four semesters. Each semester has different subjects with their individual focus on areas such as numerics, statistics, computer science, etc. Also, at last, we will be working upon a master thesis in which the specialization area will be of our choice.
- Bus Station
- Shopping Mall
- Book Store
- Train Station
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary