Statement of Purpose for Sweden: University-wise Guidelines for International Students
Statement of purpose is generally a brief essay stating the motive of the students behind applying for a particular course or university. It should include the student’s career and research goals for the future. Statement of Purpose for Sweden is required only for admission in graduate programs. Bachelor's degree and visa application do not have SOP requirements.
Guidelines for Statement of Purpose for Sweden
Every university has its own guidelines for writing SOP. However, students should pay attention to following major points:
- Length: Majorly the word limit of Statement of Purpose for Sweden is 500 to 1000 words. However, for some universities, it could be as less as 250 words or as high as 1400 words.
- Content: SOP should contain the achievements, motivation, and past degrees obtained. It may also record all the projects and courses studied by the student.
- Language: The SOP for Sweden universities must be written in English and no other language.
Some common questions asked for Statement of Purpose of Sweden universities are:
- Why have you chosen this course?
- Why have you opted for this particular university?
- What are you planning to do after the course?
- What are your hobbies or interests?
Requirements of Statement of Purpose for Sweden Universities
University-wise requirements for some of the top universities of Sweden are discussed in detail as follows:
Lund University has a certain list of questions that should be catered to in the Statement of Purpose. They slightly differ for each program. The word limit should be 1000 -1400.
M.Sc. in Management:
- Interrelation between this program, your future career, and your previous degrees & job experiences.
- Value that will be added by this program to your career development
- Meaning of terms Manager, Management, and Managing mean in your words
- Relevant qualities or perspectives that you think you will bring to this program as a student of Management.
M.Sc. in Information Systems:
- Reasons for applying for this program
- Expected contribution to the program
- Relevant academic strengths and interests for this program
- Career ambitions immediately after graduation
M.Sc. in Accounting and Finance
- Reasons for applying to this programme, and your selected specialization?
- Pros and cons of working in teams versus individually and on working with applications versus literature studies
- Any other relevant qualifications
KTH Royal Institute of Technology
SOP requirements for some of the popular programs of KTH Royal Institute of Technology are as follows:
Masters in Engineering:
- Word limit: 500 words (not more than one page)
- Should include
- Academic and professional experiences
- Extra-curricular activities
- Reasons for further studies
- Skills and interests that will contribute to the program
Master’s in Turbomachinery Aeromechanical University Training (THRUST):
- Word limit: 250 words
- Following topics should be covered:
- Reason for interest in this program, specialization option and mobility scheme
- Career intentions and reason for interest in those career choices
- Academic, professional, or other related accomplishments
- Role of a master’s degree in future career advancement
Requirements for SOP of Uppsala University are as follows:
- Sould be one or two pages long.
- May include answer to following questions
- Why did you apply to this program?
- What do you expect to gain from this program?
- Any relevant work experience?
- What do you hope to achieve as a graduate?
Chalmers University of Technology
The SOP in Chalmers University of Technology is majorly required for the scholarships application and is optional otherwise. The requirements are:
- Should not exceed one page
- May include a brief autobiographical statement because a C.V. is compulsory already.
- Should be submitted for all the programs individually
- No compulsion of the format or template.
- May include a thesis proposal based on the subject and interest of the student.
- Certain questions that can be answered are:
- Why have you chosen a specific master programme?
- Why have you chosen the Chalmers University?
- Connection of the current studies to the choice of the program?
- How will your skills and interests contribute to this programme?
- What do you hope to gain by being admitted?
- Future career options
The requirements for the SOP or the Letter of Intent for Stockholm University are:
- Description of the background
- Particular areas of interest
- Motives of applying to the program
- Future career plans
- Plans for the program you have enrolled in a brief
- Career objectives
- Your compatibility as a graduate student of Stockholm University
Tips to Write a Good Statement of Purpose for Sweden
There are certain tips that can make the SOP look interesting and unique for the reviewer. They are:
- Should contain all the information about the student i.e. his personal background, his past schools and colleges attended, his life history in brief, his knowledge and skills, achievements, etc.
- Should not be plagiarised i.e. it can have a similar format of development but should not be copied.
- Should have student’s own experiences and skills in their own language.
- Free from grammatical errors and spelling mistakes.
- Should be within the word-limit as described by the university.
Statement of Purpose for Sweden is generally considered to be answers to certain questions that are important to be known for admissions in the university. It shows the unique characteristics, knowledge, skills, background, essential points, etc about the student and has a great role in the admission process.