Surrey Business School: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
Surrey Business school is one of the top ten business and economics schools in the United Kingdom. It is a faculty at the University of Surrey founded in 1966. Through leadership, diversity, innovation, research, and blending technology into business practices, Surrey Business School has placed itself at the forefront of the world of business.
Surrey Business school has been consistently delivering one of the highest qualities of teaching and research in the United Kingdom, thus it was awarded the gold status by the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) Panel in 2019. Through the partnership with over 2,300 companies around the globe, Surrey Business School offers placement training programs to students in all its program. The Graduate Immigration Route is a pathway for all international students to transit into working professionals after graduating from a UK-based institution.
Top employers of graduates of Surrey Business School are Apple Inc., Asda, AXA Insurance, Barclays Bank, Boots, Cadbury, Compass Group, Debenhams, DHL, Ernst and Young, Fujitsu, Gala Coral, Harrods, Hewlett Packard, HSBC, IBM, Intel, etc.
Surrey Business School is ranked:
- 83rd in Business and economics rank 2020 by Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020 by subject.
- 9th in Business and economics rank 2020 in the United Kingdom by the Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020 by subject.
- 7th in Accounting & Finance course ranking in the United Kingdom by the Good University Guide 2015
- 15th in Business & Management program ranking in the United Kingdom by the Good University Guide 2015.
- 7th in Best UK Universities for Accounting and finance 2020 by National Student Survey (NSS)
|Percentage of international students||40%|
|Application Cost||25 GBP for undergraduate and free for postgraduate|
|Basic Tuition fees, Undergraduate International students||16,800 - 21,700 GBP|
|Basic Tuition fees, Graduate International students||9,800 - 24,700 GBP|
|Average Cost of Attendance||28,828 GBP|
- Surrey Business School is housed in Rik Medlik Building (MS) at the main campus of the University of Surrey
- The main campus of the University of Surrey is located at Stag Hill Guildford GU2 7XH where the majority of the courses are taught
- There are three research centers which are the Centre of Digital Economy, Centre for Management Education, and the Centre for Social Innovation Management
- Lectures are held in ultramodern classrooms and lecture theatres with state-of-the-heart facilities to aid learning
- There are more than 130 societies and 47 sports clubs available on campus for academic, sport development, or skill development
- All new undergraduate students are guaranteed accommodation and allocated a Student Life Mentor at the school if they:
- Apply for accommodation before July 25th, 2020
- Meet the formal academic offer conditions by August 25th, 2020
- All new postgraduate students are guaranteed accommodation if by August 10th, 2020, they have applied for accommodation, meet the formal academic offer conditions with the school being with their receipt of the requested academic fee deposit
- All on-campus accommodation is available in Guildford with a yearly housing contract duration of 38 weeks for undergraduate and 50 weeks for postgraduate for weekly rent of 72 GBP – 358 GBP including utility bills, Broadband internet service, and personal belongings insurance
- Accommodation is not available to students on a placement year, part-time students, students rewriting part of the course, writing up students, withdrawn, withdrawn, or occasional students
- All bedrooms are non-smoking and fully furnished with a desk and chair, a bed, reading lamp, bookshelf, and storage for clothing
- All kitchens in the halls are equipped with cooker, oven, freezer, fridge, microwave, toaster, kettle, iron and ironing board
Programs at Surrey Business School
- Undergraduate, postgraduate, research and short courses are offered in the six academic departments at Surrey Business school which are:
- Department of Business Transformation
- Department of Digital Economy, Entrepreneurship and Innovation
- Department of Finance and Accounting
- Department of Marketing and Retail Management
- Department of People and Organisations
- Department of Strategy and International Business
- Surrey Business School offers eight undergraduate courses including Accounting and Finance, Business Management, (BBA), etc.
- The School also offers 15 postgraduate courses in the field of accounting, business management, and marketing. Prominent amongst these courses are Full-time and Executive MBA, Business Analytics, Accounting and Finance, Human Resources Management, etc
- Optional Professional Training Placement is available in all undergraduate courses offered in the university.
- International Foundation Program is available for international students to improve their skills, meets English language and entry requirements, and get prepared for studies.
- Study abroad opportunities where students will be exposed to learning in a different environment and culture is available in the school
International students are required to go through the following necessities to study in the UK.
Application Portal: Undergraduate application is via UCAS, while Postgraduate is via the School Application Portal
Application Fee: Undergraduate: 25 GBP; Postgraduate: Free of cost
Undergraduate: 75% in ICSE/CBSE/ISC boards or 65% West Bengal board or 80% in other boards
Postgraduate: A minimum of a 2:2 (hon) United Kingdom degree or equivalent from a recognized institution. Work experience is required for the MBA program and other courses. Students with less than a 2.2 (hon) but with sufficient years of experience may be considered
- Undergraduate: UCAS deadline for most courses is 30th June.
- Postgraduate: Apart from full-time and part-time MBA with deadlines are 31st August 2020 and 14th September 2020, other postgraduate courses application deadline is 20th July 2020
- Original certificates
- Official Transcript
- Personal Letter
- Program-specific requirements
- English Language Test
- Scanned copies of signed/stamped certificates or transcripts
- Evidence of English language level
- Certificates and Transcripts
- Curriculum Vitae (CV/Resume)
- A copy of passport
- A personal statement
- Contact details of two referees.
- English Language Requirements
- Course-specific requirements (Interview)
English Language Requirements
International students whose first language is not English are required to provide an English language proficiency test results. The following are the acceptable tests and their minimum scores
|Tests||Undergraduate Score||Postgraduate Score|
|IELTS||6.5 overall with a minimum of 6.0 in Writing and 5.5 in each other subsection||7.0 overall with a minimum of 6.5 in each subsection||6.5 overall with a minimum of 6.0 in Writing and 5.5 in each other subsection|
|TOEFL (iBT)||88 overall with 11 in Listening, 12 in Reading, 17 in Speaking and 23 in Writing||95 overall with a minimum of 22 in Speaking 23 in Reading, and Listening, and 26 in Writing||88 overall with 11 in Listening, 12 in Reading, 17 in Speaking and 23 in Writing|
|Pearson Test of English||58 overall with 42 in each component (with 50 in writing)||65 overall with a minimum of 58 in each component||58 overall with 42 in each component (with 50 in writing)|
|Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency||176 overall with 162 in each component (with 169 in writing)||185 overall with a minimum of 176 in each component||176 overall with 162 in each component (with 169 in writing)|
|Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English||176 overall with 162 in each component (with 169 in writing)||185 overall with a minimum of 176 in each component||176 overall with 162 in each component (with 169 in writing)|
|Trinity College London Integrated Skills in English (ISE)||ISE III with Pass in each skill||ISE III with Pass in each skill||ISE III with Pass in each skill|
- Students with insufficient English language requirements can enroll in the intensive pre-sessional English language courses offered in the school. These courses are available online.
- All students who complete the pre-sessional English Language program will be considered as meeting the mandatory English language requirement
- Other national qualifications accepted as English language proficiency proof are:
- Hong Kong – Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education (HKDSE), English 4
- India – 70% in 12th board exam English from CBSE/ISC boards and 80% in 12th board exam English
- Malaysia – Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia (SPM), 1119 Advanced English C
- Singapore – Cambridge or Singapore O-level English at grade C or the Singapore Integrated Programme
- Due to the coronavirus pandemic, students resuming in September 2020 or February 2021 can present the following tests: IELTS Indicator, TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition, and the Duolingo English Test.
- For students with Duolingo test, a score of 110 is the equivalent of 6.5, and 120 is the equivalent of 7.0.
- International postgraduate students are exempted from English language requirement if they satisfy one of the following criteria:
- National of Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, The Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Canada, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, New Zealand, St Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent, and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, and the US.
- If within the last five years, studied for at least a year in any of the majority English-speaking countries listed above for a degree equivalent to a UK bachelor degree or higher
- If within the last five years, studied for at least a year in a Russell Group university, taught entirely, or in part, at an overseas campus for a degree equivalent to a UK bachelor degree or higher
- Applicants with substantial and sufficient evidence demonstrating their proficiency in the English Language may also be exempted
Cost of Attendance
The estimated fee payable by international entry students for the 2020 academic session is presented on the table below:
|Fees||Undergraduate (GBP)||Postgraduate (GBP)|
|Tuition Fee||16,800 – 21,700||9,800 – 24,700|
|Professional Training Fee||1,850||Nil|
|optional international study tour||N/A||2,400 (Optional)|
|Total||25,533.5 – 30,433.5||21,378 – 36,278|
The tuition fee for international students increases by 4% for each subsequent year of study (approximately 100 GBP). This, however, is subject to any legislative proceeding overriding its implementation
Financial Aid to International Students
- Financial aids available for international students at Surrey Business School scholarships, bursary, and discount
- Scholarships available to international students include:
- Surrey MBA scholarship open to talented international students intending to pursue an MBA degree. The scholarship is worth 10 – 50% of the total tuition fee and awarded on a rolling basis. Interested students are advised to apply on or before November 1st, 2020
- International Masters Scholarship open to students from India, Thailand, Nigeria, Pakistan, Turkey, Vietnam, and Ghana pursuing any postgraduate course except MBA. This scholarship is worth a tuition fee discount of 2,500 GBP on the first-year fees. The application for this scholarship is automatic as all applicants from the eligible countries and programs are considered for the scholarship
- Women in leadership scholarship open to females with demonstrated commitment in business and leadership pursing a Full-time or Executive MBA course. The application for this scholarship is automatic as all-female applicants applying for the programs are considered for the scholarship.
- Choral Scholarship worth 500 GBP to undergraduate and postgraduate students performing at the All Saints Guildford. Interested applicants can contact Jeremy Barham at email@example.com for more information about the scholarship
- Asylum Seeker Bursary is available to one Undergraduate student and one Postgraduate taught a student who possesses a Discretionary Leave to Remain or are asylum seekers in the United Kingdom. Successful applicants will pay fees at home students’ rate and will also be entitled to 1,500 GBP maintenance bursary for costs, books, and travel in the first year of study
- International students may also be eligible for external scholarships with varying worth such as Chevening Scholarship, Aviva Scholarship, Commonwealth Shared Scholarship, Fulbright Scholarship, Saïd Foundation Scholarship Program, etc
- Access to the University of Surrey Alumni Hub
- Free lifelong membership of the University of Surrey Library.
- Invites to regular alumni events
- Membership of the Surrey Business School Alumni Network LinkedIn group
- Armel Tchakounte – Footballer
- Rolph Payet - Seychellois Cabinet Minister
- Kay Swinburne - Conservative Member of the European Parliament
- A report from the Graduate Outcomes survey 2020 discovered that 96% of Surrey graduates from undergraduate programs are in work or engaged in further education
- Through the Professional Training Placements, students are provided the opportunity to work in a professional business environment either in the United Kingdom or abroad to gain practical knowledge, build a network, develop expertise and professional identity
- The National Undergraduate Employability (NUE) recognizes Surrey Business School as a school with the best University Placement Service with the provision of over 500 placements so far (NUE) Awards 2020; we will support you with your application and ensure you are gaining the experience you need in a supportive environment
- Through the partnership with over 2,300 giant companies across all sectors in the united kingdom and abroad, the school can provide a suitable budding ground to build professionalism in students
- Notable placement companies in partnership with the Surrey Business School include Oracle, IBM, Microsoft, Marks and Spencer, Morgan Stanley, the Walt Disney Company, etc
- Due to the all-round training of students, graduates of the school has been found to work in places like Abbey Road Studios, Accenture, Apple Inc., Asda, AXA Insurance, Barclays Bank, Boots, Cadbury, Compass Group, Debenhams, DHL, Ernst and Young, Fujitsu, Gala Coral, Harrods, Hewlett Packard, HSBC, IBM, Intel, etc