University of Reading Admission 2020-2021, Requirement, Deadline & Acceptance Rate
The University of Reading is amongst the most eminent universities in the United Kingdom. It has 3 campuses in the UK region and its main campus is recognized as one of Britain’s top green spaces. The online application is available for all courses via the national admission service UCAS.
Before making an application for admission at the University of Reading, it’s important to keep a record of the following information:
- The University of Reading does not conduct any admission test to evaluate applicants, only English proficiency test scores like IELTS, TOEFL or PTE are taken into consideration.
- Students looking for scholarships will be eligible to apply only upon receiving the admission letter.
- As part of the selection process, a few of the programs may require the applicants to appear for an admission interview or submit a portfolio.
- For the interview, applicants are notified 2 weeks in advance. Interviews are carried face to face at the university campus or online through Skype as per the convenience of applicants.
- For UG programs at University of Reading, applicants will be expected to have completed GCE A level or equivalent qualification with a minimum grade of C.
- While for the PG programs, the minimum entry requirement is at least an upper second class honours degree in their UG-level studies or an equivalent qualification.
Upon receiving the applications, the University of Reading evaluates each application individually. A variety of factors are taken into consideration in order to determine the suitability and eligibility of an applicant before offering a place:
- Previous academic records proving the applicant’s prior knowledge in the program is taken into account. This is the primary criterion that decides the applicant’s entry into the university.
- It’s ensured that the applicant meets the minimum entry requirements of the university and the program he or she has applied for.
- For PG taught programs, applicant’s motivation and commitment towards pursuing a particular program is determined by analysis of the personal statement submitted along with the application.
- For PG research programs, the research proposal forms an important component of the application as it gives an insight into the research abilities of the applicant.
- While the accomplishments and competencies of the applicant will be determined by assessing the letters of recommendations drafted by the academic teachers or counsellors of the applicant.
|Admission Requirements for International Students||UG: UCAS
PG: Online Application Service
|Application Fee (non-refundable)||£18 for one course,
£24 for multiple courses as well as late fine
|English||Various levels as per scores|
|Mode of Payment||Master-Card/ American Express/Discover/visa|
|Financial Aid||Work-Study, Loans, Grants, and Scholarship|
University of Reading Acceptance Rate
University of Reading is moderately selective in its approach when it comes to granting admissions. An applicant’s past academic records with relative work experiences (if required) is considered during the selection process. It has an acceptance rate of 16.66% where 2,220 applicants were admitted out of 13,325 applications in the past years, making the university a bit competitive to get into with a nearly low-moderate acceptance rate.
University of Reading Application Deadlines
Thinking about applying for admission at the University of Reading? Read below to learn about the latest deadlines.
The admission applications for September 2021 entry at the university are now live. All international undergraduate applicants who wish to apply at Reading should look into the following details for ensuring submission of applications on time and having enough time for visa procedures:
|08 September 2020||UCAS applications open|
|29 January 2021||Application Deadline|
|30 June 2021||Final UCAS Deadline|
|July 2021 onwards||UCAS Clearing open|
For international graduate applicants, there is no specific deadline date for most courses and applications are considered until the course is full. However, to allow time for the university to process your application, it is recommended that you apply by 01 June, 2020 for September 2021 entry.
There is no fixed deadline to apply for PG courses at the University of Reading. In general, applications are accepted until the seats are available. However, it is highly recommended that you complete the application process by the dates mentioned below as most of the PG taught courses commence in September for the Autumn intake:
|Type of Applicant||Application Deadline|
|UK applicants||August 1, 2020|
|International applicants||June 1, 2020|
It must be noted that there’s no fixed deadline for the MSc Speech and Language Therapy program. For more information, you may visit the specific course pages.
University of Reading International Student Admissions
University of Reading openly welcomes students from all around the world to enroll in their elite undergraduate courses. Given below are the requirements for international undergraduate applicants who wish to apply to Reading:
- Applications for full-time undergraduate courses must be submitted via UCAS (Universities and Colleges Admissions Service).
- For 2021 entry, the application fee is £20 for a single choice, or £26 for more than one choice.
- Register yourself online on UCAS.
- Sign in to fill in the rest of your personal details
- You can choose up to five courses (all now or some later).
- You must enter all your qualifications from secondary education onwards – whether you have the results or you’re still awaiting exams and results.
- If you've had any paid jobs – full-time or part-time –enter details for up to five of them. Include company names, addresses, job descriptions and start/finish dates.
- Write a personal statement.
- View all the details thoroughly in your application, mark it as complete and save it.
- Get a reference, pay your application fee and send your application.
English Proficiency Test Score for International Students
There are certain English language requirements for courses at Reading, each course has certain requirements of its own, and so it’s necessary that the students check with the Admissions Office for confirmation of the information. The following table gives a detailed structure of the General English Language Requirements:
|Test||Minimum required score|
|TOEFL||88 – 100|
|IELTS||6.5 - 8.0|
|CPE/ CAE||A - C/ 193-200|
Reading Admissions 2021: County-specific Requirements
With more than 5000 international students from over 140 countries, University of Reading ensures a diverse and dynamic environment where one feels home away from home.
Given below are the country-specific requirements for international applicants:
|India||Completed Higher Secondary School certificate combined with a successfully completed appropriate foundation / bridging programme||First class Bachelor degree (60 %+) or equivalent GPA|
|Bangladesh||Completed Higher Secondary School certificate combined with a successfully completed appropriate foundation / bridging programme||
4 year Bachelor of Engineering/Science with first class (60 %+) or equivalent GPA from selected Public & Private Universities
A first class
|Sri Lanka||Completed Higher Secondary School certificate combined with a successfully completed appropriate foundation / bridging programme||4 Year Bachelor's degree with a minimum first class (60 %+) or equivalent GPA|
|Singapore||Diploma (from Institutes and Colleges) holders with strong results||Bachelor's degree from recognised institution at 2:1 or above|
Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education (HKDSE) 4,4,4-5,5,4 in at least two elective subjects and excluding Liberal Studies.
|Bachelor's degree with weighted average of 70-80% or a GPA of 2.5-3.0 out of 4.0.|
Visa Process for International Students
Before getting yourself enrolled in the university you need to apply for a visa to come to the United Kingdom, the visa you need to apply to is the Tier 4 (General) visa.
- The documents that will be submitted in the process should be original
- Documents that are not in English must be translated by a fully certified organization.
- It should be ensured that the student has copies of all the documents
- You can apply for this visa 3 months before the start of your course
- Interviews are likely to be conducted for granting a visa to the student
- Documents required for VISA
- Completely filled online form of the visa
- Passport and travel-related documents
- Legal Residence Evidence
- Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies from the University of Reading
- Certificate of Tuberculosis (TB)
- Qualification listed should be sent as the evidence that got you the offer from the university. The document should be in English only
It costs around £348 to apply for this visa from outside of the UK.
University of Reading Undergraduate Admissions
The University of Reading offers 250+ undergraduate courses, the application procedure for all the courses is nearly the same that is through an online application.
Where to Apply: National Admissions Service Portal- UCAS
Application Fee: For one course the fee is £18, while for multiple courses it is £24
Admission Requirements: Applicants must provide the following documents at the time of admission:
- High school diploma/transcript
- A level and International Baccalaureate qualifications required
- Overseas International Qualifications are allowed
- Proof of residency
- English proficiency test score for international applicants are different for different courses and they are as listed below:
Arts and Humanities courses
|University of Reading pre-sessional course report, including TEEP||7.0+ overall with min. 6.0 in each component|
|PTE (Academic)||67 overall with min. 51 in each component|
|CBSE/ICSE||80%; all other boards 85%|
Henley Business School, Social Sciences, Science and Life Sciences, and School of Law courses
|University of Reading pre-sessional course report, including TEEP||6.5+ overall with min. 5.5 in each component|
|PTE (Academic)||64 overall with min. 51 in each component|
|CBSE/ICSE||70%; all other boards 75%|
University of Reading Graduate Admissions
The University of Reading Graduate is home to around 5,950+ postgraduate students from 123 countries.
Where to Apply: National Admissions Service Portal UCAS. There isn’t any specific deadline for these courses the applications are considered until the course strength is full
Application Fee: For one course the fee is £18, while for multiple courses it is £24
- For admission in September, it is advisable to apply by the 1st of August through the online portal
- Access Course can be taken to meet the requirements of the course if qualifications do not meet up to British A levels
- An undergraduate honors degree is also one of the major requirement.
- The table shows general English requirements for postgraduate courses at the university:
|Qualification short name||Required level for postgraduate|
|IELTS||6.5 - 8.0|
|TOEFL (internet-based)||88 - 100|
|CPE/ CAE||A-C/ 193-200|
It is important to get in touch with the college before the final application, once you have applied online you are likely to receive a confirmation from the university. If your application is successful the Admission Officer is most likely to give you call the selection of your application totally depends on your academic criteria, your English language proficiency, for international students. Many times the university calls for an admission test before the final selection keep yourself prepared for any case.
Ques. When do applications open for September 2021 or future years?
Ans. If you're interested in undergraduate study, you will need to apply through UCAS. Applications open in September for the next year of study and are now open for September 2021 entry. Postgraduate students can apply directly to the University from September 2020 for September 2021 entry.
Ques. . What will happen to my application once I've submitted it?
Ans. Your application is important to us and our staff are well equipped to work remotely under the UK's current stay at home guidance, so we do not anticipate any disruption in assessing your application. You can follow progress in considering your application on Me@Reading Applicant.
Ques. How long will it take to make a decision on my application?
Ques. What are the deadlines for applications?
For undergraduate applications, you should aim to apply via UCAS between 8 September 2020 and 29 January 2021 for admission in September 2021. (The UCAS equal consideration deadline was originally 15 January but has since been extended to 29 January in light of the national lockdown).
Ques. I am interested in applying for September 2021; how will classes be taught and what can I expect from teaching?
Ques. I'm thinking of applying to Reading for September 2021 (or in future years). How can I learn more about the University?
Ques. As a postgraduate offer-holder, do I still need to pay a deposit to accept my offer?
- an EU or international student (with the exception of the Republic of Ireland)
- a UK student with an offer for a Henley Business School programme.
You need to accept your offer through Me@Reading Applicant using the link in your offer email.
Ques. What is the start date for January entry programmes?
Ans. Our Spring term will start on Monday 11 January 2021 for most students; your start date will be confirmed in your offer letter.