University of Leicester 2021-2022 Admissions: Entry Requirements, Deadlines, Application Process
University of Leicester admissions are offered to international students from more than 140 countries. It follows the UCAS admission policy and provides undergraduate admission in a single intake with the admission deadline on January 15. Unlike the undergraduate courses, the graduate programs at University of Leicester have course-specific admission deadlines. The university provides education through both on-campus and online modes.
Every year, nearly 19,000 students take admission to the University of Leicester among whom, 53% of applicants are international. Prospective students belonging from a non-EU/EEA country, willing to study in UK require demonstration of outstanding scores in various English proficiency tests to study in the university. Alongside, a minimum of 75% overall high-school scores are required for admission to the undergraduate programs and 60-75% undergraduate scores are required for the postgraduate programs. A well-defined SOP and multiple LOR are the key requirements for admission to the university. The admission prerequisites for prospective research scholars additionally includes a research proposal.
Due to the onset of the COVID-19 crisis, the university has introduced a new way of study and learning through Ignite, which combines a face-to-face personal learning experience with digital learning. This initiative taken by the university ensures that learning never stops for students even in the time of a pandemic, without jeopardizing their safety.
Applicants are strongly recommended to apply much before the stated deadline to avoid the chance of losing the opportunity of getting admission to University of Leicester. The application deadlines for the postgraduate programs are variable and course-specific. Students are advised to check the respective programs at the University of Leicester to know more about the postgraduate admission deadlines. UCAS portal and the University of Leicester accept late applications from applicants staying outside of UK, but those will be considered and reviewed only at the University’s judgment.
- The deadline for submitting applications for the undergraduate degrees at the University of Leicester is that of January 15
- Thus, the application portal is open from the month of September to the mid of January.
- Although the Department of Medicine has an early closing of the application process by October 15.
An estimate of more than 4000 students from over 140 different countries are welcomed every year at the University of Leicester. The process of admission is different for undergraduate and postgraduate degree students.
Application Portal – Online
Application Fee: N/A
- The college provides its international students with a huge number of scholarships and opportunities to secure financial aid for themselves during their study at the University of Leicester, such as the President’s Undergraduate Scholarship Scheme, Sanctuary Scholarships, etc.
- Along with the complete application, the applicants must submit all their high school transcripts and certificates, mark sheets. These documents must be sent from the issuing institution directly to the college and must be original. If in any language other than English, translated copies of the same must be sent along with the original certificates.
- Personal Statement is a highly important part of the whole application process and must contain the applicant’s personal thoughts and opinions about future prospects.
- English Proficiency Test – All applicants must be fluent in English to get admitted to the university and they must fulfill the given Cut-off marks for the respective examinations in order to qualify.
- There are a few country-based requirements with respect to the application process at the University of Leicester. Some of the South Asian countries and their requirements are tabulated below:
|India||Must have completed 12th standard from a CBSE/CISCE board school with a minimum of 75% overall;
For a few individual courses, the cut-off is 80% or more overall, with 85 or more marks in individual subjects of importance with regard to the chosen degree.
|60%-75% is mandatory’
The applicant must hold a Bachelor’s degree in First Class.
|Bangladesh||Must be enrolled in A-Levels or International Baccalaureate (IB);
If you have completed three years of Bachelor’s degree study in a Bangladeshi university, then you can be considered for admission in the first year of a Bachelor’s degree
|Relevant Masters degree with ‘first division pass’, 3.2/4.0 CGPA or 60%;
If the candidate has completed 4 years of Bachelor’s Degree, then you may be eligible for a Master’s Degree in the University, a ‘second division pass’.
|Sri Lanka||If the applicant has completed the Sri Lankan General Certificate of Education (Advanced Level) then, he/she is eligible to start the first year of Bachelor’s Degree study in the university.||For candidates from Sri Lanka, a four year Bachelor’s degree or a three year Bachelor General degree is mandatory;
A minimum of 60% of the overall grade is important.
|Pakistan||If the student is studying in A-Levels or IB, then he/she is eligible to apply for and get admitted to the first year of a Bachelor’s degree; If the applicant has studied relevant subjects at a Pakistani University, for the first year of Bachelor’s degree, then he/she may be considered to be admitted to the first year of a Bachelor’s degree in the university.||A bachelor’s degree (BA/ BBA) with a minimum GPA of 3.0/4 to be considered for a Master’s degree;
For Masters in Engineering or Informatics, BSc/Beng with 2.7/4.0 GPA
An additional charge for people from outside EEA has been introduced by the UK Government from April 2015 in which tier for applicants are required to pay. Once paid, the students are entitled to free health services from National Health Services (NHS) during their stay. Before applying for UK student visa, the following steps are to be followed:
- Add passport number to UCAS application.
- Prove English language skills.
- An unconditional offer of a place on a course.
- Apply for UK Tier 4 student visa
Documents required for tier 4 student visa:
- Current passport or other valid travel documents
- Proof that you can support yourself and pay for your course – this will vary depending on your circumstances.
- Proof of parental or other legal guardian consent if you are under 18
- TB test results if you are from a country where you have to take the test.
International students with a primary language other than English require satisfactory scores in English proficiency tests. The test scores must not be older than two years on the date of commencement of classes. The table below shows the minimum scores required in the English proficiency tests:
The University of Leicester offers over 70 programs for it’s students that cover subjects from various departments. The application deadline is January 15, make sure you send in your application through the UCAS website well ahead of the deadline. Given below are the requirements required at the time of admission to the University of Leicester.
Application Portal- Online
Application Fee: N/A
Academic Requirements: The basic requirements for admission to the graduate programs at University of Leicester are listed below:
- Transcripts and Academic Qualification certificates
- Personal Statement/ Research Proposal
- Two LOR or Name and Contact details of two individuals who can be contacted for the recommendation (one of these must be academic personnel)
- Test of English Language Proficiency (for those candidates who practice a native language other than English) same criteria as that of international students.
- After submitting the application, making changes isn’t possible, thus the candidates are asked to be thorough with their application and only then hit ‘Submit’
- PGCE students have to apply through UCAS
Admission requirements for a few popular graduate programs offered by the university are listed below:
|Requirements||Master of Business Administration||Law (International) L.L.M||MS in Applied Health Research||MS in Actuarial Science with Data Analytics|
|IELTS Score||6.5 bands||6.5 bands||7.0 bands||6.0 bands|
|Letter Of Recommendation||2 LOR||2 LOR||2 LOR||2 LOR|
|GMAT/ GRE||GMAT: 500||GMAT: 500||GMAT: 500||GMAT: 500|
|Other important documents||Personal Statement Work Experience||Personal Statement||Personal statement||Personal Statement Mathematical ability will be accessed.|
Getting selected for University of Leicester admission is not extremely hard, applicants are suggested to apply before the January 15 deadline for undergraduate courses. Once applied, making changes in the course can be very difficult, thus make sure you choose your course after researching available options thoroughly. Applicants must keep track of their application through the UCAS Track and stay updated with the information sent out to them from the university’s side. Some Courses might contact the applicant directly and ask for an interview. The results of the application, whether it has been accepted/rejected will be notified to the applicant within a span of 28 days.
Ques. What rank does the University of Leicester hold?
Ans. The University of Leicester is ranked 23th in the UK by Times Higher Education University Rankings.
Ques. If I want to apply to the University of Leicester, what is the minimum grade point required?
Ans. To apply, you must have a minimum of Grade C in English, Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology, and the other required subjects.
Ques. Is getting admission to the University of Leicester difficult?
Ans. No, the university provides admission to most of the eligible applicants. You need to present all the required documents to get selected for admission to the university.
Ques. What are the minimum English proficiency requirements for international students at University of Leicester?
Ans. The university requires minimum IELTS scores of 5.5 in each division and TOEFL score of 22 in all the bands. The university also accepts PTE, CAE and CPE scores of the international applicants.
Oues. Is University of Leicester worth studying?
Ans: Without any doubt, you can consider the university for pursuing your favorite program. The research university is one of the top 20 universities in UK and also hosts Europe’s greatest academic space research center.