Islamic University of Science and Technology (IUST) was initiated in the year 2005 through an Act No.18 of 2005 passed by the State Legislature of Jammu & Kashmir.It is a UGC recognized and AICTE approved university as well and it is a member of the Association of Indian Universities (AIU)
- The formal beginning of the teaching in the university started on July, 2006 with its governing body including the Chief Minister of J & K as the Chancellor and the Executive Council being its executive authority.
- The IUST is an embodiment of culture, academy, social awareness and all which caters to the needs of the student irrespective of caste, religion or so.
- It was established in the beautiful region of Awantipora in Kashmir which is 30 km south of the capital city of Srinagar
- It offers varied courses that encompass all the areas of Science and Technology that are guaranteed to give success to the students at all levels
- The university has 3 centers including International Centre for Spiritual Studies, Rinchen Shah Center for West Himalayan Cultures and Mantaqi Center for Science and Society
- IUST have signed MoU with University of Kashmir, University of Delhi and Tokyo University of Foreign Studies
There are different schools under the university which offer these courses and that have quality faculty committed towards the development of the students. The few schools of repute are:
School of Technology
The school is the largest one in the IUST with a total number of students going up to 1100 at present and is expected to increase in the coming years. FIST and Government of India provide funds to this school.
School of Humanities and Social Sciences
The school comprises of departments of excellence like English and Arabic Language and Literature Studies, Islamic Studies etc.
Reservation of Seats:
Name of the category
Tribe/ Caste including Gojjar and Bakerwal
Residents of Backward Areas/ Residents of Area Adjoining Actual Line of Control
Weak and Underprivileged Classes (Social Caste)
Physically Handicapped (not less than 40% permanent disability)
Outside State including Foreign Nationals but excluding those who have passed qualifying examination from any Institution / University located within the territorial jurisdiction of J & K State
Name of the Companies Visited
No. of Students Placed
No. of Students Placed
Fruit Master Agro
Dr Lal PathLabs
It is a six week training cum internship programme organized by CII (Confederation of Indian Industry).
At the Islamic University of Science and Technology, students are allowed to have interest in other activities than just academic and that sports also. Students take part in sports like cricket, football, volleyball, basketball, trekking etc at both State and National level.
Islamic University of Science and Technology hosted the first Student Film festival Vérité, which portrayed various aspects of Kashmir through 22 documentary films screened on the occasion. The First Students’ Film Festival was held recently with collaboration from The Parallel Post Magazine.
The library has the SOUL 2.0 software that supports all the e-services and automation and it also has been introduced at the National Knowledge Network which connects all the educational and research institutions in India. About 100 journals, magazines and newspapers are being subscribed by the library
Two hostels each for boys and girls are allotted which are located near the campus and has the capacity to accommodate around 80 students in both the hostels.