National Law University Odisha (NLUO) is a vibrant national law university in India. It was set up in the year 2009. Ranked as the 3rd Best Law University in India by the India Today Rankings 2019, the university offers two Undergraduate, one Postgraduate, and two Doctoral programs. Admission to UG and PG programs are based on CLAT scores and NLUORET scores are considered for Doctoral programs.
National Law University Odisha Highlights
Here is a glance at small but important details of National Law University Odisha (NLUO):
|Application Fee||B.VOC- INR 1,000 and Research- INR 5,000|
|Area of study||Law|
|Degree type||Undergraduate, Postgraduate, and Doctoral|
|Programs||B.A, B.B.A, and Research|
|No. of programs||Five|
|Test scores accepted||CLAT and NLUORET|
National Law University Odisha Courses
There are 7 different categories of courses at National Law University Odisha (NLUO) for Undergraduate, Postgraduate, and Doctoral programs. The courses are as follows:
- B.A LL.B and BBA LL.B for Undergraduate students.
- M.A for Postgraduate students.
- Ph.D. for Research students.
- Distance Courses
Course details and annual fee structure of Undergraduate and Postgraduate courses are in the table below:
|Course Name||Duration||Intake||Fees (INR)|
|B.A LL.B (Hons.)||5 years||Total: 120
-General: 76 -ST: 14 -SC: 10 -SAP/PWD*: 06 -NRI/NRI(S)/PIO/OCI: 10 -Foreign National: 04
|-Tuition: 1,20,000 -Admission: 5,000 -Student Welfare Fund: 5,000 -Examination: 5,000 -Internet/IT service: 5,000 -Estate Maintenance: 10,000 -Library: 3,000 -Refundable Library deposit: 5,000 -Moot court/seminar/workshop: 6,000|
|B.B.A LL.B (Hons.)||5 years||Total: 60 -General: 38 -ST: 07 -SC: 05 -SAP/PWD: 03 -NRI/NRI(S)/PIO/OCI: 05 -Foreign National: 02|
|B.VOC||3 years||Total: 50||25,000|
|M.A (LLM)||1 year||Total: 25 -General: 16 -ST: 03 -SC: 02 -SAP/PWD: 01 -NRI/NRI(S)/PIO/OCI: 02 -Foreign National: 01||-Tuition: 70,000 -Admission: 5,000 -Student Welfare Fund: 5,000 -Examination: 5,000 -Internet/IT service: 5,000 -Estate Maintenance: 10,000 -Refundable Library deposit: 5,000 -Moot court/seminar/workshop: 6,000|
- *SAP- Specially Abled Person/PWD- Person With Disability.
- Admission fee for Undergraduate Foreign Nationals & NRI / NRI Sponsored Students is US Dollar 6,000/- Per Annum.
- The fee structure for Postgraduate students is tentative. The fee structure is subject to change.
- Admission fee for Postgraduate Foreign Nationals & NRI / NRI Sponsored Students is US Dollar 4,000/- Per Annum.
Doctoral program for Full-Time and Part-time courses include:
|Fee type||Annual Fee (INR)|
|Coursework Examination Fees||1,000|
|Thesis Evaluation Fee (at the time of submission of thesis)||20,000|
|Continuation fees (if not completed within 3-years)||10,000|
|Thesis Resubmission fee (if applicable)||20,000|
|Students Welfare Fund||5,000|
Read More: NLUO Courses and Fee
National Law University Odisha: Admission
For admissions at National Law University Odisha (NLUO) students must have:
- A valid CLAT Score with 10+2 in any discipline from a recognized board for UG programs.
- Bachelor's law degree and a qualifying CLAT score for PG programs.
Master’s degree in Law from a recognized University with not less than 55% marks and NLUORET score.
Read More: NLUO Admissions
National Law University Odisha: Placement
National Law University Odisha (NLUO) has a recruitment co-ordination committee which provides placement offers and internships experiences to the students.
The committee guides 7th-semester students in securing placements and internships in various companies.
- Faculty advisor: Dr. Arjyalopa Mishra | 9437506313
- Placement Officer: Mr. Kallola Kumar Patnaik | 9437730455
National Law University Odisha Hostel
NLUO provides hostel facilities to students pursuing Undergraduate, Postgraduate, and Doctoral degrees. Hostel fees for all courses are:
|Electricity charges||15,000 INR||INR 15,000||INR 10,000|
|Sports and Game facilities||INR 2,000||INR 1,000||-|
|Hostel Fee||INR 25,000||INR 25,000||INR 22,000|
|Refundable Mess deposit||INR 5,000||INR 5,000||-|
National Law University Odisha Scholarship
The university grants scholarships to students considering their CGPA marks. Scholarship amount varies between INR 50,000-1,00,000.
NLUO’s Scholarship Committee sanctions INR 8,00,000 every year for scholarship. The committee includes Registrar, Controller Examination, and Assistant Finance Officer.
National Law University Odisha Faculty
Faculty members of National Law University Odisha (NLUO) are:
Prof. Srikrishna Deva Rao
- Designation: Vice-Chancellor
- Qualification: M.A in Law from Kakatiya University, M.Phil in Law from National Law School (Bangalore), Ph.D. from Delhi University.
- Designation: Assistant Professor of Law
- Qualification: UGC NET-JRF, LLM (Business Laws) from NLSIU, Bangalore, BA.L.LB(Hons.) from UILS, Panjab University, Chandigarh.
Dr. Ananya Chakraborty
- Designation: Assistant Professor of Law
- Qualification: Ph.D. from KIIT University, LLM from National University of Juridical Sciences, 5-year integrated LLB from Calcutta University.
- Designation: Assistance Professor of Economics
- Qualification: M.A in Analytical and Applied Economics, M.Phil.
- Designation: Research Associate cum Teaching Assistant
- Qualification: LLM from National University of Juridical Sciences, B.A LL.B.(Hons) from Rajiv Gandhi National University of Law, Patiala.
National Law University Odisha Quick facts
- The University is recognized by the University Grants Commission (UGC) under Section 12(b) of the UGC Act 1956.
- It receives grants under the 12th Plan.
- Associate Member of the UGC-Inflibnet.
- NLUO is accredited ‘A’ Grade by NAAC.
- Approved by the Bar Council of India.
- Participant in the National Knowledge Network under the Ministry of Information Technology and Communication, Government of India.
- The campus is spread over 70 acres.
- The university acquires Basketball, Volleyball, Tennis, Carom, and Table Tennis courts.
- NLUO also has Women Cell for internal complaints against sexual harassment.
- National Law University Odisha has nine research faculties.
Why join the National Law University Odisha?
- University offers a distinctly hospitable learning environment.
- The aim is to create an environment where academics do not burden but eases its way seamlessly.
- NLUO supports the students from the moment they arrive to find their feet and settle quickly both in studies and social life.
- University has a unique and innovative curriculum.
National Law University Odisha FAQs
Ques. Is there an entrance exam in NLUO?
Ans. Yes, for UG and PG courses- Common Law Admission Test (CLAT) and for Doctoral courses- National Law University Odisha Research Entrance Test (NLUORET).
Ques. If I do not clear the minimum CLAT Cut off, will I still be eligible for final admissions?
Ans. No, it is necessary to qualify the minimum cut off for CLAT for further admission procedure. Failing in this step will make you ineligible to get admissions in any of the law schools accepting CLAT Scores.
Ques. Are there any reserved seats for Odias at NLUO?
Ans. Yes, there are 25% seats reserved for the Odias at NLUO. Earlier in 2018, the bill was pending in the Assembly but recently, the State government wrote to the Vice-Chancellor of the NLUO, requesting him to do the needful.
Ques. Which is better, Jindal Global Law School or National Law University Odisha?
Ans. Firstly, National Law University Odisha requires CLAT for admission, whereas Jindal Global Law School requires LSAT. CLAT is a national-level examination, conducted within India. LSAT is a global-level examination conducted in different regions of the world and is very tough to crack. Secondly, the Fee structure of NLUO is much reasonable than JGLS. Students pay INR 7,50,000 for 5-year programs at NLUO whereas JGLS charges 25 lacs for the same course.