The University of Iowa (UI) is a public research institution in Iowa City, Iowa, United States. Established in 1847, it is renowned for one of the largest and most acclaimed medical centers in the US, as well as the famous Iowa Writers' Workshop.
The university offers 200+ majors, minors and certificate programs and 5,000+ courses every year in undergraduate, graduate, and professional education. The most popular majors are –
- Business, Management, Marketing, and Related Support Services
- Parks, Recreation, Leisure, and Fitness Studies
- Social Sciences; Engineering
- Communication, Journalism, and Related Programs
Why Choose Iowa University?
- Member of the Association of American Universities and the Big Ten Conference.
- 40+ Pulitzer Prize-winning faculty and alumni.
- 9.3% of students on-campus are of international origin.
- 95% of UI graduates either join graduate school or get employed within 6 months of graduation.
- For every $1 in state funding, an economic impact of $16 is created.
- In the past 3 years, 4,100+ employers have recruited Iowa graduates.
- Projected impact of UI research discoveries on Iowa’s economy is $2.4 billion by 2020
- In FY 2018, $554.1 million was received in external research funding.
- The varsity athletic team Iowa Hawkeyes have 24 teams competing in the NCAA Division I.
Program and Schools at University of Iowa
The University of Iowa undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees through 11 academic colleges:
- Carver College of Medicine
- College of Dentistry
- College of Education
- College of Engineering
- College of Law
- College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
- College of Nursing
- College of Pharmacy
- College of Public Health
- Tippie College of Business
- Graduate College
- Distance and Online Education
- University College
University of Iowa Campus and Residence
Of the two UNESCO Cities of Literature in the U.S, Iowa city is one. The city is regarded as one of the best places to live in the US and is also the #5 college town in the country.
UI boasts of a 1,700-acre, bicycle friendly main campus with 18 major bus routes for connectivity. 6,702 students live on-campus in 10 residence halls.
University of Iowa Admission Process
Pre-Requisites for admission into the University of Iowa
- Test scores: SAT/ACT for UG students
- English language proficiency test score: TOEFL; IELTS; or PTE
- Specific programs may have additional requirements for admission
- Apply online directly at on the official website
- The non-refundable application fee for UG programs is $80 and varies for graduate programs.
University of Iowa Cost of attendance
|Expense||Cost in USD|
|Tuition & Fees||31,458|
|Housing & Meals||11,172|
|Books & Supplies||950|
Financial Aids offered by University of Iowa
- 88% of students at UI receive some form of financial aid.
- Average grant aid received by students is USD 8,936
- The scholarship can range up to covering full cost of attendance for meritorious students.
- Several Fellowship and grants like the Graduate College Summer Fellowships and Graduate College Research Grants are available for graduate students as well.
UI alumni stay connected and get involved through the University of Iowa Center for Advancement. Regional clubs, alumni affinity groups, annual events etc. keep the alumni engaged with their alma mater.
List of a few notable alumni:
- Paul P. Harris – Founder - Rotary International.
- James Alan McPherson – Pulitzer Prize Awardee, MacArthur Fellow
- Juanita Kidd Stout – First woman Federal Judge
- W. Ann Reynolds – Chancellor of the City University of New York
- James Van Allen – Physicist and discoverer of the Van Allen Belts